Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ITASTE VTR Recommend for a newbie
NCHornet Offline

Likes Given: 0
ITASTE VTR Recommend for a newbie
I am new to vaping and would like to buy once, cry once, if you know I mean by that. It probably won't happen because things are changing every day, but for general moderate vaping will this do the job and last? The pricing is all over the place on these, I have seen them as high as $120 and as low as $49.99, can anyone recommend a vendor to purchase from? If you would recommend something else please let me now. I know I will have to buy batteries, charger and extra coils is there anything specific I need to know about these things? I assume it is best to buy the coils direct from IClear, correct? Thanks in advance for the help.
NCH
27-12-2014 11:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
RE: ITASTE VTR Recommend for a newbie
Well, is that all you researched so far is that particular model? I have an Istick by Eleaf cost $35-$45 and just about every supplier carries it, as far as coils to your tank , those are also carried by most suppliers, you shouldn't have to go direct like that.
I would suggest maybe looking at a few other models to get an idea of more of whats out there. The VTR is a great mod but you can get others that are just as good with a lower price tag.

To help you look at the vast mods out there try visiting Fastech for some great prices.
27-12-2014 11:45 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Whiskey's post:
JohnnyMac (12-28-2014), Michael (12-28-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Welcome to the forum! As Whiskey said, there are a lot of great mods out there. The iStick is very good, and will only cost you around $30-50 depending on where you buy it. You'll need a tank to go on top, there are a lot of good ones as well, though I'm not really qualified to give advice on that since I don't use tanks much anymore. As Whiskey said, it shouldn't matter where you buy the coils as long as they're made for the atomizer that you're using. 
28-12-2014 04:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
NCHornet Offline

Thanks for the welcome and recommendations. I have been watching videos on youtube for a few days now and narrowed it down to the VTR as I learned. I have looked at many models. I should have mentioned that I am disabled so the weight wont be an issue as I doubt I will be taking it with me when I go places. I also prefer the replaceable batteries, I am very familiar with the 18650 type batteries from my days of modding flashlights to ungodly brightness levels, lol!!!! Plus when a battery goes bad you simply replace it and they are cheap, with a unit like the IStick you must replace the unit. Also I don't think it can be used while charging, even if it could it wouldn't be ideal for me. I am not dead set on this model, just wanted some feedback, I see prices from $49.99 to $120.00, if you can recommend other models, tanks, coils, batteries and chargers I will be sure to check them all out. Thanks again.
NCH
28-12-2014 02:57 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,938
Hi and welcome NCH!

As a flashlight guy you'll fit right in here Smile

We do tend to hit our cells much harder than all but a few lights though - so it's pretty much IMR cells only except in some regulated mods that have a relatively low amp limit. Most protected cells are unusable for vaping as they cut off the current at too low a value.

In the VTR I think it is limited to something like 5A so any cell capable of a bit more than that should be fine. There isn't much above 2500mAh that'll do that. Those cells include the Samsung INR18650-25R, the LG something or other HE2, the Panasonic PD and PF cells and the Sony VTC5 cells that appear to be about as common as hen's teeth at the moment. The 3100 and 3400mAh Panasonics would be beyond recommended limits at 20W. Personally, I wouldn't use a cell that couldn't handle the full rated output of the device even if you never intend to use it at that output.

Chargers: I like the Xtar and AWT chargers I use. The Efest LUC gets good ratings though I've never as much as seen one. There are a whole lot of nasty and dangerous chargers out there. The standard reference for me is HKJ's site.

Don't carry cells loose - sooner or later you will short one. 18SixFifty here has modded a light to take his favourite tiny dripper which is one way of taking a spare cell with you Smile Fasttech sell "battery condoms" that are handy for spare cells.

Tanks, my favourite for mods that don't go over 20W would be the Erlkongin clone - Fasttech has dozens of them. It isn't that hard to build - easier than many and there are tons of tutorials on youTube to show you how.

Have fun!

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
28-12-2014 03:44 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,193
Welcome to TVF NCH! it's great to have you with us.. you never know you may just meet some fellow flashlight modders around here Tongue

Looks like you're in good hands already, I hope you manage to find the right mod for you Drinks
28-12-2014 05:04 PM
NCHornet Offline

Thanks everyone, I think I found a killer deal on the VTR so I should have it soon.I am going to a few shops down in the city today, but I doubt they can match the $53.00 price I have found, and they are in stock!!! It is a genuine unit and I have checked them out as far as customer reviews go. Now it's on to buying batteries and a charger, thanks for the info above, I will check out the link you provided. Everyone in the vaping community has been so helpful, I am sure there are jerks out there, you just can't avoid them, but so far everyone has been very helpful. As far as juice goes, I quit smoking 20 years ago and I am the type if I smoked 1 cig today and after I got done hacking up a lung, tomorrow will be right back to 2 packs a day, Lucky's non filter!!!! Don't want that, I spoke cigars now and then and never crave a cig, so I was wanting to go with no nicotine. Haven't looked but on a couple sites and it seems the juice with 0 nic don't have as many flavors as let's say those that have 6%. I have chronic health issues and my insurance rates are high enough, I don't need nicotine to raise them higher, am I over thinking this? Any recommendations for good juice on the net? What about the ratios of VG TO PG, will a 50/50 be best in the VTR or should I just see what I prefer? Many places let you to dial in the percentages to your liking, pretty cool. Last question, I am ordering some extra tanks and am wondering if a 1.8ohm is a good one or something different? 
(This post was last modified: 29-12-2014 04:14 PM by NCHornet.)
29-12-2014 03:42 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,938
It is actually pretty easy to make your own juice (OK I used to be a chemistry teacher but it really is easy). Find some flavours you like, get hold of suitable concentrates and then add PG/VG/nicotine to taste.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
29-12-2014 05:20 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Michael (12-30-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Don I just had this mental image of you as the guy from Breaking Bad, a chemistry teacher turned meth cook. lol you'll be sitting there making crystallized e-Juice in an RV in the desert to keep away from the cops Tongue
30-12-2014 12:51 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

And a bit more of an "on topic" comment to NCHornet: from what I can tell, nicotine doesn't have any negative effects, and might even have positive effects. Check out the Ashtray Blog here on the forum in the blogger section for more information. Nicotine gets a bad rap since it's in cigarettes, but really it's all the other crap in them that is bad. There have been some studies that showed nicotine by itself can raise blood pressure slightly while you are using it, but can actually lower your blood pressure in the long term. 

Also, since chargers were mentioned I have to recommend the one I use, it's an XTAR XP4. Don mentioned the XTAR chargers earlier, and the XP4 model that I have will charge up to 4 batteries, and also has a mode to "revive" dead cells by slowly trickling power into them, which many times will bring your dead cells back to life so they can hold a charge again. It also comes with a plug to use the charger with your car's cigarette lighter, which is a big plus for me since I travel a lot for my job. 

Anyways, welcome to the forum and the world of vaping! It's always fun to meet new people on here Smile
30-12-2014 01:19 AM