Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
IStick pico/artic subtank help
guccian Offline

Likes Given: 0
IStick pico/artic subtank help
So i'm relatively new to vaping and i have what seems to be possibly a serious problem. So i have a 75w iStick Pico and an arctic subtank with a .5 btdc coil in right now. i vape consistently around 55-60W given that it's a dual coil. i went through about 4 of these coils with no issues until about a week ago. i threw in a new .5 btdc coil and started vaping at full power. (4.7V). when i approached about 70% power (about 3.3V), i fired the vape, inhaled for about 2 seconds and let go of the button. the coil kept on burning.. and burning.. and burning. after 20 seconds or so it wouldn't stop and sparks came out of the mouth piece... so i set my vape on the ground outside out of sheer panic and hoped it wouldn't blow up. once the burning stoped and the coil cooled down i picked it up and it had completely fried my coil. i figured it was an issue with that particular coil. so i bought a new .5 btdc. and sure enough at ~70% battery life, it happened again. this time i was smarter and immeadiately unscrewed the tank from the mod and of course everything was fine. i put it back together and 3 hits later it happened again. for a solid week now this has been happening at any power level less than 70%. (or less than about 3.3V) Can somebody please help me. i cannot find an answer to this problem anywhere online.
(This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 11:42 AM by guccian.)
12-10-2016 06:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: IStick pico/artic subtank help
(12-10-2016 06:29 AM)guccian Wrote:  So i'm relatively new to vaping and i have what seems to be possibly a serious problem. So i have a 75w iStick Pico and an arctic subtank with a .5 btdc coil in right now. i vape consistently around 55-60W given that it's a dual coil. i went through about 4 of these coils with no issues until about a week ago. i threw in a new .5 btdc coil and started vaping at full power. (4.7V). when i approached about 70% power (about 3.3V), i fired the vape, inhaled for about 2 seconds and let go of the button. the coil kept on burning.. and burning.. and burning. after 20 seconds or so it wouldn't stop and sparks came out of the mouth piece... so i set my vape on the ground outside out of sheer panic and hoped it wouldn't blow up. once the burning stoped and the coil cooled down i picked it up and it had completely fried my coil. i figured it was an issue with that particular coil. so i bought a new .5 btdc. and sure enough at ~70% battery life, it happened again. this time i was smarter and immeadiately unscrewed the tank from the mod and of course everything was fine. i put it back together and 3 hits later it happened again. for a solid week now this has been happening at any power level less than 70%. (or less than about 3.3V) Can somebody please help me. i cannot find an answer to this problem anywhere online.
I have a pico I use with an arctic tank, and .5 coil. It's not my every day vape. I use it in the car, on errands, etc. My thought is you are vaping at too high power for a .5 coil. .5 coils are best under 35 watts. I don't think the pico, which is a very simple mod can handle much over 35W with that coil. You are pushing the limits of you equipment. I suggest you try at lower power levels to see if you have the same thing happen.

Also, check out this article in the FAQ section, Where Should I Set My VV/VW mod.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
12-10-2016 12:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Fatboy (10-12-2016)
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,018
There is definitely an issue with the mod. Even if you fire higher thee should not be a problem with auto-firing. It should just shut off (temp protection/amp protection/etc). I would not use the mod until the issue is sorted. It could vent.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
12-10-2016 03:01 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
BOB (10-12-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-12-2016)
guccian Offline

Likes Given: 0
(12-10-2016 12:51 PM)bibliora Wrote:  
(12-10-2016 06:29 AM)guccian Wrote:  So i'm relatively new to vaping and i have what seems to be possibly a serious problem. So i have a 75w iStick Pico and an arctic subtank with a .5 btdc coil in right now. i vape consistently around 55-60W given that it's a dual coil. i went through about 4 of these coils with no issues until about a week ago. i threw in a new .5 btdc coil and started vaping at full power. (4.7V). when i approached about 70% power (about 3.3V), i fired the vape, inhaled for about 2 seconds and let go of the button. the coil kept on burning.. and burning.. and burning. after 20 seconds or so it wouldn't stop and sparks came out of the mouth piece... so i set my vape on the ground outside out of sheer panic and hoped it wouldn't blow up. once the burning stoped and the coil cooled down i picked it up and it had completely fried my coil. i figured it was an issue with that particular coil. so i bought a new .5 btdc. and sure enough at ~70% battery life, it happened again. this time i was smarter and immeadiately unscrewed the tank from the mod and of course everything was fine. i put it back together and 3 hits later it happened again. for a solid week now this has been happening at any power level less than 70%. (or less than about 3.3V) Can somebody please help me. i cannot find an answer to this problem anywhere online.
I have a pico I use with an arctic tank, and .5 coil. It's not my every day vape. I use it in the car, on errands, etc. My thought is you are vaping at too high power for a .5 coil. .5 coils are best under 35 watts. I don't think the pico, which is a very simple mod can handle much over 35W with that coil. You are pushing the limits of you equipment. I suggest you try at lower power levels to see if you have the same thing happen.

Also, check out this article in the FAQ section, Where Should I Set My VV/VW mod.

Yeah but it's a .5 rtDc. it is basically the power of two regular .5 coils cause it's dual. i read that a lot of people vape .5 rtdc at 60W.
12-10-2016 08:14 PM
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,018
Dude - I cannot stress enough that a mod that misfires needs to be checked out. It is not the coil.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
12-10-2016 08:34 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
BOB (10-13-2016), Fatboy (10-12-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-12-2016)