Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm trying to get my build higher ohms
Cbryant256 Offline

Likes Given: 0
I'm trying to get my build higher ohms
First let me start by saying yes I'm fairly new. I have built a few of my own coils previously but I'm building with twisted wire now and having some trouble. I'm running two coils, kanthal 24g twisted, on a tugboat v2 rda, a tesla 200w mod, with 2  efest IMR 18650 3.7v 3000mAh batteries. I'm being told i should run around .3-.5 ohms but my builds keep coming out .18 +/- .01. Any tips to help?
16-01-2016 02:33 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
RE: I'm trying to get my build higher ohms
hi cbryant and welcome to TVF
if I am right is 24g 0.5 in metric
if so it would need a lot of wraps to get to 0.5 using twisted
you could try using thinner wire
I am sure one of our coil experts will be here soon to help you out better than I can Good

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
16-01-2016 06:59 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BOB's post:
TinWhisker (01-16-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
To get higher resistance, you can either (a) use more wire, or (b) use thinner wire. Twisted kanthal is basically like using two wires on each coil, which cuts the resistance in half. Which means it's going to be pretty hard to get higher resistance since the coils will need to be really big with a lot of wraps. How exactly are you building it? If you make a coil with a bigger diameter, that will help raise the resistance, as will adding more wraps of wire. 

Just for comparison's sake: my 26ga dual parallel coils built with 8 wraps on a 2.5mm diameter is about .25 ohms. That's a pretty big coil, made with thinner wire. Using 24ga kanthal, it's going to be practically impossible to build twisted coils that are higher resistance and still fit inside your RDA. I'd really suggest getting some regular kanthal if you want higher resistance, really the only reason to use twisted kanthal is to get lower resistance builds for bigger clouds but on a regulated mod you can push more power through the coils regardless of resistance, so it's better to build simple coils and just use more power. With what you've got, you might be able to get it up to about .2 or .3 ohms, but probably not any higher than that. 

If you do decide to get more wire, I suggest getting 26ga. It's a very versatile gauge, thin enough to build higher resistance but thick enough that it's easy to work with, and you can always twist it or build parallel coils if you want more vapor than a normal coil will provide. I usually use a simple dual coil build, about 7 wraps on a 2mm diameter and it comes out to around .5 ohms, which makes good clouds at 70W. When I'm in the mood to blow giant clouds, I build parallel coils. 

Welcome to the forum, by the way! If you have any questions, feel free to ask Smile I know I've used a bit of technical jargon in my reply, so if there's anything you don't understand I'd be happy to explain in more detail. Twisted kanthal can be hard to work with, that's why I prefer normal kanthal, it's easy enough to twist it myself if I want to. I might as well tell you though, I personally don't see the point of complex coil builds. Some people swear by crazy triple twisted parallel zipper coils made from a dozen different sizes of wire and all kinds of other craziness, but from my experience, the "silly builds" just aren't any better than a normal coil or parallel coils, which are a lot easier to build. To me, anything other than simple coils is just silly, and I only build silly coils when I'm bored watching Netflix with nothing better to do. 
16-01-2016 09:47 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
TinWhisker (01-16-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,444
Hey there cb.

I'll echo the first three paragraphs of Michaels, with maybe 28g parallel 3mm 7wraps 

But the last bit.. really Michael,  have I not taught you anything Tongue 
Joking aside, watch my video closely then tell me normal/round wire can do that!

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
16-01-2016 10:10 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Michael (01-16-2016), TinWhisker (01-16-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Haha nice, gentlydoingit. That's pretty impressive. I'm not sure I could do that with parallels, but I could get damn close. I'll have to try some dual parallels with 22ga at 0.1 ohms and 100W and see what it looks like tomorrow morning when I wake up Wink  I'm off to bed for now lol its 5AM here. 
16-01-2016 10:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
gentlydoingit* (01-16-2016), TinWhisker (01-16-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Like for like would be a better test of coil muscle, if i had my coils setup like that it'll effectively be turning them down. Single 18650 mech.. if you pull it off you'll have just built the holy f**king grail of coils!
I'll be here when you awaken Big Grin

* retraction-ish*
The type of coil you refer to aren't meant for regulated mods, and I've just rememberd you saying that's all you use. This'll be where your missing the point of them, and what makes the point you made to the original start question valid as he too is using a regulated, so I retract my statement. I agree with all your paragraphs Biggrin

However.. I stand by my statement that there is a massive gain from elaborate coils.. just you'll never know Tongue

16-01-2016 10:57 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Michael (01-16-2016), paulS (01-16-2016)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,108
I build .5 ohm coils duals or single all the time with simple claptons and twisted. I use them on my regulated mods. It is not that hard to pull off Mike. The OP worried me though when he said he was using Efest batteries though. Please get LG, Samsung or Sonys.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
16-01-2016 01:16 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
ADIE37 (01-16-2016), gentlydoingit* (01-16-2016), Michael (01-16-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

My snow wolf will fire my newer Claptons to 100w and my wismec won't fire them at all! 
100w is low for the coil in its natural state. A dual parallel mech hits them well over 200w, where they come alive! single mechs shouldn't work with the math but they do and aren't far away from the duals.
The problem is series regulated mods won't let the batteries sing so 30a max usually under 3v, I don't know of a parallel regulated that will handle 60a either.

I have the 3000mah effests, they're not bad in a regulated I have to say. 

16-01-2016 01:53 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Good point, I didn't notice the OP was using Efest in my sleepy stupor last night. I'd really suggest Samsung 25R 18650s, they're among the best cells available and not too expensive. 

paulS, perhaps I've just never had good luck with Clapton and twisted coils. I try to build them every now and then, and I end up making coils that are too big to fit in my atty or if they do fit, they don't produce enough vapor for my taste. I use Clapton coils when I'm trying out new flavors, since I can get a good hit on a wickless single coil Clapton and just dry fire to clean the coils before tasting another juice. 

gentlydoingit, your pseudo-retraction made me laugh Wink  I mostly use regulated mods, either the Sigelei-100W or iStick 50W or God Mod 180. I've got a few mech mods, but generally speaking I find they just can't produce the same amount of vapor that I like. Though I really like my Kato mod as a small pocket carry. Perhaps if I could build better coils, I might use my tube mechs more... 
16-01-2016 05:20 PM
Cbryant256 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Thanks for the help everyone. I actually got the batteries for free at the store cause I'm decent friends with the owner and I'm in there all the time so he gives me a deal on stuff. So I guess to follow up with the regulated mod that I'm using is it a safety concern to be using a setup that low? I figure with the safety features it would be ok but I'm working on a new build right now anyway.
16-01-2016 10:56 PM