Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm getting better at building coils
Doggthe9 Offline

Likes Given: 27
I'm getting better at building coils
A few weeks ago I bought a Govad as my Twisted Messes deck seemed a bit small and wasn't really great to build on. My first coil was okay as it was the standard coil wire that came with my master coil build set. I put the Govad away for a week and went out and purchased two different types of coil wire. Twisted Clapton wire 28+32g and some Tesla hive wire 26g. 
My first coil I built was a 5 wrap with the twisted clapton. It came out to be a .6 ohm and produced some good clouds and some decent flavor. I vaped on that for about a week. The cons of it were that I had to keep painting my wick every 3-5 hits. I was going through juice like crazy. Plus I could not get a good flavor unless I was above 85 watts. So let's try building again. 
I pull out the hive wire and have one hell of a time fitting it in the coil master. After getting a decent 5 wrap going I notice it was 6 wraps. Oops.. Oh well. I throw it on the ohm tester and bam, .2 ohms. Just what I was looking for. I wick her up, juice it all pretty like and holy crap.. What a difference. I had twice the vapor and twice the taste. But there one thing that amazed me was that I could drop my wattage down to 40 watts and get a good pull. After figuring out my air restriction and settling on 50w I am chuckin massive clouds with unbelievably tasty flavors. And now instead of re-juicing every 3-5 pulls I can get around 10-15 pulls. I'm not going through so much juice now. 
Now I still have a lot to learn but I'm on the right path. It is a real pain to make coils with the coil master and the hive wire because of it being thicker but I've opened up the wire slot a bit and if I have to I ill take a file to it and modify it a bit more so the wire doesn't get stuck like it has been. In a few days I'll build a few coils all differently and see which I like the best. But it sure does beat buying pre-made coils. 
17-05-2017 05:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Doggthe9's post:
ecignut (05-17-2017), HarleyQ (05-17-2017), TinWhisker (05-17-2017)
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 24,664
RE: I'm getting better at building coils
Way to go! How about some pics? We all like to admire DIY stuff.
17-05-2017 02:36 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 21,124
Hi Dogg - I have the Govad as well - huge deck to build on and the clamp posts are so easy - great choice of airflow options too.[Image: smile.gif] You chose well.
17-05-2017 08:57 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
Doggthe9 (05-18-2017), Fatboy (05-17-2017)
Doggthe9 Offline

Likes Given: 27
Here are two pictures of the Hive wire. I didn't think to take pictures of the other coils. 

[Image: 3eL7dRR.jpg]

[Image: cN7BPom.jpg]
18-05-2017 02:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doggthe9's post:
Fatboy (05-18-2017)