Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I'm choking to death!
MajorTom Offline

Likes Given: 1
I'm choking to death!
Hi all, I'm new to vaping despite the fact that I was on the ground level with ecigs about 10 years ago. It was a very good experience, but the refills were pretty pricey at the time. 
Now that cigs are very pricey I thought it a good idea to vape. 

I was looking online at eleaf starter kits and thought I'd go with the local vap shop for a more hands on approach and questions for the sales team. 
They didn't offer a satisfactory line in my opinion, but they had more know how than the girls at the local tobacco store. 

He steered me towards the Smok stick V8 Baby starter pack.
It came with 2 coils: one 0.15 and one 0.25 ohm which my understanding is both are preferable for mouth to lung puffers. But don't ask me what the wattage is, I just don't know, but on the lips it's approaching hot. 

Being a pack a day smoker using 8mg nicotine cigs I probably should have got 6mg juice instead of 12mg. 

The dealer showed me how to install the 0.15 coil and prime the wick  then fill the tank with 12mg tobacco flavored juice (made by Pure) Simple enough really. 
We opened the air flow to the widest during the after sale demo.  
Out the door and in my truck I turned it off and took a moderate puff and about choked to the point where taking the next breath was a dream. Smoke was a bit less that of a cigarette. Woah Nelly that don't seem right. Took a smaller puff, same sensation and choke cough. Tried a third time and put it down.
On the way home I coughed up a bit of mucus and my chest felt like I was starting a cold. 
Thinking it could be a bad coil, I primed up the wick real good in the 0.25 coil and took a short puff and choked as bad as the first one. 

OK dudes and dudettes, what's the problem with my 1st vaps? Crap juice or unit? This is an intolerable experience to be nice about it.

I appreciate any advice and assistance....... and money, especially money (I accept Visa, MC, PayPal and old fashioned cash) 
07-07-2018 10:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,066
RE: I'm choking to death!
Hi MajorTom. Welcome to TVF. Imho the Smok stick V8 Baby starter pack is not a starter pack. It wont replicate the sensation of taking a drag on a cigarette in any shape or form.
I'd suggest the Aspire Nautilus 2 Tank and a VW (variable wattage) mod. I'm searching now for a suitable one.

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
07-07-2018 11:21 PM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,066
If I was a smoker I'd get the Aspire Nautilus 2 Zelos Kit

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
07-07-2018 11:30 PM
Smiling Ogre Offline

Likes Given: 198
The atty with that kit uses "beast" coils. That is meant to be a cloud producer and direct to lung experience. The coils are also sub ohm. First off, 12mg on that tank would blow my head off. I use 2mg. I can withstand 3 to 6mg. Second, I have no idea what the juice is that you are using. Could very well be pretty harsh. As per above something like the Nautilus would be a mouth to lung and use less wattage and very well may work much better with the juice you have. Since you already have the kit the least expensive experiment might be to get a new coil (because the ones you have are saturated with the high nic juice) and a small bottle of 3mg mellow juice and see if that is more tolerable. You might also want to try a different shop. Sounds like those guys were clueless.
08-07-2018 04:44 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smiling Ogre's post:
ecignut (07-08-2018)
MajorTom Offline

Thanks for all the input guys. 
For those who brought it up, from what I can tell about the juice online , Purecigs is a brand made here in Florida. I can't tell for sure but I also think it's locally made. http://Purecigs.com but I'm inclined to think that due to the nicotine level and Lord knows what else is there, that it's probably way too harsh. 
Smiling Ogre called into question the sales persons knowledge base was on the level of clueless. I believe I tend to agree based on what everyone has said here. Furthermore it doesn't help the over all customer experience with the atmosphere of the place. I won't get into it but it gave off a strange "we're dorks living in our parents basement and sporting carefully handcrafted tinfoil hats" kind of vibe. Plus I've never liked the duplicated vibe of head/bong shops. But that's just me. As he also stated "The atty with that kit uses "beast" coils." More intense readings seem to agree with him. This kit is not for me (yet?) .

Smok only offers two kinds of atty's for this vaper kit. Both came with it. Replacements seem a little steep in price at $25 for 5. So it is seem strange to invest that for a kit just to be able to sample lower nicotine juices. That's half the price of the Aspire Nautilus, which I'm taking on serious look at. I'm almost sold on it were it not for being able to find extra replacement coils locally. There's only 5 vape shops in the county and from what I see online, none carry this particular brand. So to order em online incurs additional shipping costs so it would probably be wiser to buy in bulk.
Then Theres the complexity of operating the aspire system, watts, volts, temp etc. Seems like there a moderate learning curve which I prefer to call growth potential vs none on this Smok v8 baby. 

All in all the Smok stick v8 was a bad buy. We've all done similar. As you get older (like me) and wiser, you'll still make em from time to time, just not as many. 

Lots to consider but I do believe it's a good idea to just to get the Aspire and different juice and start from scratch. 
08-07-2018 07:43 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MajorTom's post:
Smiling Ogre (07-08-2018)
ecignut Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,289
Hi MT - welcome to the forum. You could not get further away from MTL vaping with the set up that you have - it is a serious DTL set up. Calling it a starter kit is criminal in my book.
08-07-2018 10:07 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like ecignut's post:
gentlydoingit* (07-08-2018), Robjenko (07-08-2018), Smiling Ogre (07-08-2018)
MajorTom Offline

(08-07-2018 10:07 AM)ecignut Wrote:  Hi MT - welcome to the forum. You could not get further away from MTL vaping with the set up that you have - it is a serious DTL set up. Calling it a starter kit is criminal in my book.

Yep, from the information shared in this post and confirmed through reference material online, it was definitely a stupid buy, but live and learn, a mistake I'll not soon repeat.
 But then I there is a learning curve for noobs.
I've been reading reviews and other stuff about the aspire Zelos and I'm sure it's the best place to start and advance with. I'm not really interested in more than that. I have no desire to custom build a unit. I just want nicotine and flavor along with the money savings vs tobacco combined with a far healthier experience. Let's face it $200 a month for cigs is just dern rediculous.
Thanks for your input. 
08-07-2018 10:39 AM
ecignut Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,289
(08-07-2018 10:39 AM)MajorTom Wrote:  
(08-07-2018 10:07 AM)ecignut Wrote:  Hi MT - welcome to the forum. You could not get further away from MTL vaping with the set up that you have - it is a serious DTL set up. Calling it a starter kit is criminal in my book.

Yep, from the information shared in this post and confirmed through reference material online, it was definitely a stupid buy, but live and learn, a mistake I'll not soon repeat.
 But then I there is a learning curve for noobs.
I've been reading reviews and other stuff about the aspire Zelos and I'm sure it's the best place to start and advance with. I'm not really interested in more than that. I have no desire to custom build a unit. I just want nicotine and flavor along with the money savings vs tobacco combined with a far healthier experience. Let's face it $200 a month for cigs is just dern rediculous.
Thanks for your input. 
Don't beat yourself up over it. We have all been there and most of us learn the lessons the hard way - no one more than me[Image: smile.gif]. You will get there - and laugh about it later.
08-07-2018 12:23 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,074
MajorTom, we have all made (some of us still do) make online purchases and then realize the reviews were bogus or that it didn't meet the hype or our expectations.

I know you're in southern FL, when I was in central FL last October I met some really cool guys who were very helpful when my travel primary mod I had taken with me failed... they are in Four Corners FL 8546-8548 W Irlo Bronson Memorial Hwy (US192) @ Gate West Flea Market. I'll see if I can find the company name for you.....

EDIT: it's called 419 Smoke Shop facebook
08-07-2018 01:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
ecignut (07-08-2018)
paulS Offline
I'm incorrigible
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,050
Keep that mod. In a few months you might find you like it (after your lungs clear and you get used to vaping). IIt is better than buying a faulty device which many of us have experienced. Trust me - one day you will return to it.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
08-07-2018 03:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
Fatboy (07-08-2018)