Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
I bit off more than I can handle..... I think
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
I bit off more than I can handle..... I think
One of the guys I work with at the day job gifted me a few nice items
I got a Hammer clone, Not so sure it lives up to the hype other than the looks

He also gave me an ITHICA clone. While I love the looks and functionality of the Ithica, It is way more than I am ready to handle. I met a local guy who says he will help me get it set up. Not sure if I want to use it on the hammer or just on the Vamo. I also have on order a Steam turbine clone genesis style that should be easier to set up. Now to get wick, wire Mesh and all the other assorted stuff.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
03-01-2014 03:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
RE: I bit off more than I can handle..... I think
Whoa sounds like a generous friend! I think gords knows a bit about the Ithica, I haven't played around with one either because I too thought it looked a bit too much messing.

Apparently though they're awesome when setup properly. Mentioning the genesis style has just reminded me I'm still having teething issues with mine... I think the problem is the wick holes are just too damn small ,they really could do with drilling out some.

As far as wick and wire it's just my opinion but I'd be inclined to go with some 28 gauge and some 30 gauge wire and stick with cotton wicking. Silica just isn't worth the hassle.

Let us know how you get on Smile
03-01-2014 10:45 PM
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
For the ithaka, you need res no res wire and 3mm silica.

Its dead easy to set up, todds reviews has done videos on the iatty, ithaka, hercules, penelope, all use the same cersmic cup design. Imo its one of the easiest coil arrangements to fit, but nothing but 3mm silica will wick it correctly.
04-01-2014 08:31 AM
madecov Offline

(04-01-2014 08:31 AM)gords1001 Wrote:  For the ithaka, you need res no res wire and 3mm silica.

Its dead easy to set up, todds reviews has done videos on the iatty, ithaka, hercules, penelope, all use the same cersmic cup design. Imo its one of the easiest coil arrangements to fit, but nothing but 3mm silica will wick it correctly.

That's what I had finally heard and I have found some one local who owns one and will help me get it set up. On another note I played around with a Trident clone yesterday and that got up and running in about 2 minutes.

04-01-2014 01:10 PM
gords1001 Offline

Tridents are awesome little drippers. I love mine. Due to a little wheeler dealing with Wayne at little puffer, I have a prometheus to play with tonight, its the genesis version of the trident, cant wait to try it.
04-01-2014 02:33 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
Hmmm a Prometheus eh ? sounds interesting....

Mark - Good luck with the Ithica, let us know how you get on Smile
04-01-2014 03:08 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
I've got a strong feeling I would feel the same way about a hammer as you do, Mark.  Other than looks very little to make special.  Sometimes that is enough and I hope to find out one day for myself Smile

I've seen the Ithica but was put off by the NR-R-NR wires needed.  Extra hassle I don't need but I hope I'm wrong and it's no biggie to deal with at all.  Having a leakproof tanker than vapes like a dripper has been my end goal and I found that in my AIOS-T after hitting the simplest of solutions.  Only problem with it is since it's a hybrid I have limited choice in mods to use it on.  FT finally has a nice looking Aqua clone.  As soon as I save up enough money to get one along with a matching Origin clone for it to perch on I'll get them.

Keep us updated on the Ithica. Wink
04-01-2014 06:57 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline

I can tell you that the hammer measurably hits just as hard as both my nemesis and my roller.

As for the res no res. It cost me two quid for fifty res no res pre made lengths, hardly breaking the bank. Assembly is easy but you definitely need the right wick, you cant use substitutes,  even cotton wont fix itHuh its got to be 3mm silica.  Which reminds me. Must order some
05-01-2014 01:21 PM
madecov Offline

(05-01-2014 01:21 PM)gords1001 Wrote:  I can tell you that the hammer measurably hits just as hard as both my nemesis and my roller.

As for the res no res. It cost me two quid for fifty res no res pre made lengths, hardly breaking the bank. Assembly is easy but you definitely need the right wick, you cant use substitutes,  even cotton wont fix itHuh its got to be 3mm silica.  Which reminds me. Must order some

Wire is not that expensive, I plan on ordering several spools for the shop and personal use.
Wick is another matter. It is expensive per meter and I am having a hard time finding it at reasonable prices in lengths I can cut up for the store.

(This post was last modified: 05-01-2014 01:42 PM by madecov.)
05-01-2014 01:42 PM
gords1001 Offline

I'll keep an eye out for wick, I have seen spools available but they were from England - shipping would kill the deal for you. You could apply to ekowool for dealer status, but my experience with ekowool has not been favourable,  I've not kept an ekowool set up in use above an hour. My favourite silica has been bastos wick, it wicks well and gives good flavour, but where it is obtained from I have no idea.
05-01-2014 06:36 PM