Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
How to make your own Naturally extracted Tobacco NET's.
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Smile How to make your own Naturally extracted Tobacco NET's.
I'm sure you have all heard of NET's Naturally extracted tobacco. Well, this is how I do it. 

You will NOT get a taste like a cigarette. What you will get is a taste like tobacco and it really tastes like a mild smooth tobacco not harsh like a cig. 

You can start with either a good cigar or Roll Your Own tobacco but I personally use whole leaf tobacco from this site. This page is their sample's they come in 1/4 pound packages. Most are $5 or $6. 

http://www.leafonly.com/broadleaf_tobacc...amples.php

You will also need some PG or VG if you use VG it will take much longer to strain but you can do it or you can do a combination of the two. 

Take your leaf and cut it up into small pieces and place it in a mason jar then simply cover it in either PG or VG. place a lid backwards on jar.  If you want specific numbers I go with two times the amount of liquid as tobacco per weight. You don't have to be that picky and of course you can experiment and find what you like best. 

I use a pressure cooker, you can also use a slow cooker or just a pot with water in the bottom. Make sure that your jar is not sitting on the bottom so that your tobacco doesn't burn. In a pressure cooker set it at 10lb's and cook for 12 to 14 hours. You will have a very dark brown sludge. Strain this through coffee filters one at a time at least 4 times. This is so you do not clog up your atties. If you are using a slow cooker you can take up to three days. With boiling water keep in on medium and it will take a couple of days. 

This is one of my favorite recipes. 

3/4 Virginia flue cured sweat

3/16th Burly 

1/16th fronto dark air cured (hint of chocolate flavor in there) 

If you are looking for a real tobacco flavor (not cigarette burnt flavor) this will knock your socks off. 

Personally I mix this with swedish fish/cinnamon for my everyday vape. When I was in business this was my secret recipe and I sold a ton of it. 

Good luck, have fun and Enjoy!! 

Ps. Please post any of your results or any recipes you would like to share in this thread. It would make a great place to keep the info in one spot.
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 05:11 AM by 18sixfifty.)
18-12-2013 04:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
RE: How to make your own Naturally extracted Tobacco NET's.
Oh man... you know how I would love to try this Smile I wonder if it's possible to buy this leaf in the UK (starts google fu)

Absolutely brilliant idea and thanks for sharing your secret recipe! I'm curious how many ml do you get roughly from 1/4 pound of leaf ? and what sort of percentage would you mix it at ?

Smile
18-12-2013 04:54 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,544
I imagine it'll be very heavily taxed here. 

From a quick skate through this
http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPorta...268#P9_215
it appears that raw leaf isn't taxed but you are required to pay tax on any you process even for your own use.

2.10 Must I pay duty on tobacco products which I have made myself from raw tobacco leaf I have purchased?
Yes. You must pay the duty on any tobacco products that you make from unprocessed tobacco which you have purchased. This applies whether the tobacco products are intended for sale or solely for your own consumption. Anyone intending to manufacture tobacco products must comply with the conditions set out in this Notice. You should contact us using the contact information in paragraph 1.5 of the Notice before you begin manufacturing.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
18-12-2013 05:00 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

A quarter pound of leaf would get you about 400ml of extract. You don't need a whole lot of this when mixing. About 5 to 10% is good if you make a very dark almost black extract although a few people like it even stronger. I use less than that (3%) with my cinnamon/swedish fish blend. 

An ounce of leaf is enough for 100ml of extract, that is usually the batch size that I make.  

Also I know that I ran across a UK vendor for whole leaf. I'll see if I can find it. However, like I said you don't have to go with whole leaf either. When I first did this I used a Roll Your Own blend. I think it was Zig Zag Blue. I just prefer the whole leaf because you can make your own recipes and you know it doesn't have anything extra added.

http://www.ukleaftobacco.com

Here you go, whole leaf only UK
(This post was last modified: 18-12-2013 07:02 PM by 18sixfifty.)
18-12-2013 07:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(18-12-2013 07:00 PM)18sixfifty Wrote:  A quarter pound of leaf would get you about 400ml of extract. You don't need a whole lot of this when mixing. About 5 to 10% is good if you make a very dark almost black extract although a few people like it even stronger. I use less than that (3%) with my cinnamon/swedish fish blend. 

An ounce of leaf is enough for 100ml of extract, that is usually the batch size that I make.  

Also I know that I ran across a UK vendor for whole leaf. I'll see if I can find it. However, like I said you don't have to go with whole leaf either. When I first did this I used a Roll Your Own blend. I think it was Zig Zag Blue. I just prefer the whole leaf because you can make your own recipes and you know it doesn't have anything extra added.

http://www.ukleaftobacco.com

Here you go, whole leaf only UK
Awesome thanks very much! that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'm definitely going to try this method and I'm quite excited about it too. I'm pretty sure it'll taste so much better than the lab made flavourings.
19-12-2013 05:49 AM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

You're welcome. 

I'm sure you will be glad you did. I love the taste of tobacco and none of the lab made ones really did the trick for me.
19-12-2013 06:22 AM
redron Offline

Likes Given: 0
Another method I have used and is on display in the other forum at http://allaboute-cigarettes.proboards.co...lTo=243509

So, the next step is to make the extraction… There are many ways of doing it, but this one works for me.

1. Cut up with a pair of scissors, or use a coffee grinder to chop up about 50% of the leaves
2. Place them in a Pyrex jug along with some VG, just enough to wet them, and cover the leaves (about 50ml when I do it, but it varies) the leaves will soak up the juice.
3. Add about 10% (5ml) of PG and 15% (8ml) of Vodka. The alcohol helps the extraction process.
4. Squish and squash and then let soak for 30 mins, top up with VG if required to just cover the leaves.
5. Boil some water in a pan and put the jug in it (I think this is called a Ban-Marie). Heat the juice in the jug but don’t let the juice boil… That is very important. Stir and squish and squash the leaves during this process. Heat this way for 10 mins.
6. Take the Jug, with the yucky coloured liquid and leaves, let it cool and then cover with cling film.
7. Put it aside and let it steep for 24 hours.
8. Repeat the process above adding a little more VG if required.
9. After the second cooking, whilst still warm, filter into a container. (I use a mesh strainer first with a coffee filter and then push the juice through a syringe with some cotton wool pad in the bottom of it a few times). This is a bit messy, but so be it.
10. You should have about 50 or 60 mls of concentrate now. Put it away somewhere cool and dark and let it steep and mature for a few days.

That’s it, you have some Extracted Tobacco Concentrate, granted not as strong as some you can buy as they use a distilling process, but with a very nice tobacco flavour, and all natural.

I use my concentrate at about 20% in most mixes with 5 to 10% of other flavours added to it, or at about 25 to 30% on it’s own.

When calculating the VG/PG ratios in your mix, don’t forget that the tobacco extract concentrate will be around a 95%VG / 5%PG, the alcohol evaporates away with heating.

A bit of effort is required, along with patience, but very rewarding. I hope that some of you give it a try, and report back.
19-12-2013 02:47 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Thanks Redron - Also very useful...

My leaves arrived today 500g for £19.95 delivered - half Virginia and half Burley. Gonna start with the Burley, takes ages to chop with scissors but there's an awful lot of tobacco per leaf Smile

It's as much as I can do not to smoke some but I'm avoiding the temptation Tongue

I'll let you know how the process goes.... cheers guys
11-01-2014 11:31 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Okay extraction done and it's a very dark brown PG based liquid but I'm just getting a kind of Chlorophyll taste, is it because the leaves were not 100% dry before I started ?

The did seem pliable and slightly sticky...
13-01-2014 01:08 AM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

That could be the reason. I have had a kind of green taste a couple times from leaves that were not really cured completely. If you have some leaves that are good and dry try them out and see what it does. If not it could be something else. 

Did you use the pressure cooker or regular stove top method?
13-01-2014 02:30 AM