Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How to fix a non-working Squape
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Lightbulb How to fix a non-working Squape
When I first got my Squape clone I discovered I had one of the many that had issues with continuity.  It worked fine for the first few minutes then stopped working.  I took out the 510 pin and the nylon insulator bushing and had a peek inside the base. I stuck my DMM contact in the hole to where the pin threads in and touch the positive post and I get continuity. Thread in the pin and I still have continuity. Awesome! Took out the pin, press the bushing back into it and put the pin back...nothing. Take out the pin and bushing and put the pin back in without the bushing and it still doesn't work. Take it out again and put it back in and now it works. WTF? Put the bushing in and it still works...then it stops working. Wiggle the pin what little I can and it works again briefly before not working.

Now I recalled someone saying they fixed it by inserting a piece of 28ga kanthal in the pin threads then securing the pin and leaving the wire inside. Tried it and I have continuity at the positive post. Problem is I also have it on the negative post...a short in the system. Take out the pin and the wire, scratch my head, decide to try again with a fresh piece of wire. Still a short. Take it out again. Fack it!  This is an unacceptable fix and even if you got it working without a short the wire may work loose and cause a short in actual use which could be dangerous if not deadly!

I decided to just wait for the replacement base Fasttech  customer service was sending me.  I put it back together the normal way and get ready to put it away when something tells me to check it once more. I do and the damned thing is now working. I built a 1.2ohm micro coil with cotton wick, filled the tank all the way and proceeded to vape the entire tank to empty with zero issues. Still works after 1.5 months of use.

Fasttech sent me a replacement base from a batch "guaranteed" to work.  Guess what?  This one didn't work either.  So I performed my little trick on it and it's been working fine since.  So here is the fix in short version...

Remove the 510 center pin by unthreading it from the base of the Squape.  Insert a length of 28-30 gauge Kanthal wire into the hole until it pops out the top of the Squape from the center air hole.  With the wire in the Squape, thread the 510 center pin all the way back in.  It will be tight and difficult to get started but it can be done easily.  Unthread it again, move the wire a bit then rethread the center pin back in a second time.  Unthread the center pin one last time, remove the wire, then put the pin back in and start coiling and wicking your Squape.  It is fixed.  See the picture below if you need further clarity.

As near as I can figure, there is indeed just enough of some coating on the female 510 threads to cause the issues we are all having. Apparently the wire I put into the female threads those two times while tightening and removing the pin must have scraped off just enough to give me a solid and apparently reliable connection. Both of my bases have been working flawlessly ever since.  I suggest you give it a shot and tell me if it gets yours running as well.

BTW...the vape from this thing is truly amazing!! So much incredible flavor. In fact it's far superior than my KFL and insanely easy to build on.

If you really wish to make the Squape into a cloud machine you can do one more thing to it which I did to mine and it is amazing!  Take a drill with a 2mm bit and open both air holes in the 510 base.  Next, from the top of the vape, drill out the center air hole with the 2mm bit as well.  This will make a very airy and less restrictive vape and will make crazy clouds to go with the Squapes fantastic flavor.

[Image: 13997971149_dedd0fae8b_c.jpg]
14-05-2014 01:41 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
Don (05-14-2014), Galaxyrider (07-04-2014)
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,114
RE: How to fix a non-working Squape
Thanks Johnny!

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
14-05-2014 02:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 9,002
Just another update on the issues I was having with my loaned Squape.

John (johnnotmatt from RY4 Radio) was kind enough to send me a brand new Squape to try. Unit looks great, is a breeze to build and is all round pretty outstanding but I had an issue...

The thing just wouldn't produce any amount of vapour!.... pretty much a whole day of trying different coils and different heights and different wicking ideas, I came to the conclusion that even though there appeared to be plenty of air getting in, there just Has to be some kind of turbulence issue where the air meets the coil.

Well determined to figure this out once and for all I disassemble the entire bottom section and gave it a good going over. What I found is that where the air comes into the chamber under the coil, there's a kind of trumpet/fluting effect.. I'm not sure why the idea is but it clearly wasn't working.

I took a drill to this fluted area and drilled it level with the side wall, essentially making it a flat walled intake chamber... The result ?

CLOUDS OF VAPOUR !! this thing is transformed beyond belief Good

I've stolen Johnny's images to show exactly what was done (thanks Johnny) Tongue

Before (standard)

[Image: 1_02_06_14_4_28_38.jpeg]

After (Drilled)

[Image: 1_02_06_14_4_37_52.jpeg]

Hopefully this will help some folks out who are having the same issue Smile
02-06-2014 03:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Galaxyrider (07-17-2014)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Awesome, buddy!  I think you still had an issue with your particular Squape because with the 3 I have not one of them had the same issue you did.  I drilled out the center deck hole on mine to 2mm, not the extent as you did on yours, and it is more than enough.  I still think you drilled yours out far more than needed considering your 510 intake holes are still stock.

I recommend drilling both 510 intake holes to 2mm then drilling the center deck hole to 3mm for a perfect matched set of air holes.  I also believe some fluting should be left around the deck hole as it provides added turbulence to the air to produce even more vapor.  The problem with the stock hole is it's only about 1mm and far too small for those fun lung hits we all enjoy! Smile
02-06-2014 04:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
Galaxyrider (07-17-2014), Galaxyrider (07-17-2014), Spasmod (06-02-2014)