Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you tell if an Atlantis coil is dead?
Chase_the_Clouds Offline

Likes Given: 0
How do you tell if an Atlantis coil is dead?
Maybe this is a dumb question, but how do you tell if an Atlantis coil is dead? I don't know if my first one is dead considering it still has a ton of smoke, but the flavor is super muted. It had great flavor for like 3 days and now the last two days I have had almost zero flavor. Does anyone know anything about washing them? I have read opposite views on this. 
11-02-2015 12:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: How do you tell if an Atlantis coil is dead?
Coils for any tank are supposed to last anywhere from 1-2 weeks. That said, if you don't like the flavor then there's no reason to keep using it. I know some people who use the same coils for a month or two until it completely stops making vapor, even though it starts to taste bad. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, I change the coils as soon as they start to taste weird, which is usually just a couple of days since I vape a lot. 
Cleaning your coils is annoying and not worth the effort in my opinion. I used to run my coils under warm water until the water ran clear, then let them air dry, and that got a little more life out of them, but they get gunked up again pretty fast so I'd rather just put a brand new coil in. Of course, it's up to you to find what works for you, so you might want to try it a couple times and see if it works. 
11-02-2015 12:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Depending on the juice you use, coils can last a long time or gunk up quickly. You can rinse a wick but the only way to really clean one is to burn it clean. Unfortunately you can only do that with a silica wick as they can withstand the heat produced by a red hot coil. The Atlantis coil heads have cotton wicking and you can't do a dry burn with them. While it is possible to rebuild an Atlantis coil head your best bet is to simply swap it out with a fresh one. Your budget will limit how often you change them out as genuine Atlantis coil heads can be pricey but there are plenty of perfectly made clones of the replacement coils that are only a dollar or two when bought in 5-packs. I use them in mine.

If you use a rebuildable dripping atomizer (RDA) or rebuildable tank atomizer (RTA) a coil can last almost indefinitely as all you need to do is pull out and toss the old wicking material, then heat the coil to red hot to burn all the gunked juice on it to ash, blow off the ash, rewick the coil and enjoy for another few days to weeks until the next time it needs to be cleaned. Unless you want to change the resistance being used there is little reason to change out the coil in a rebuildable atty.
11-02-2015 02:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyMac's post:
lung_flooder_lindsey (04-03-2015)
Chase_the_Clouds Offline

So... I changed out the coil and it is still giving me a nasty burnt, almost melting plastic taste. No clue whats going on. Nothing was hot on it like it was running hot or something. It is the Sigelei 150 with the Atlantis tank and two new Sony vtc4 batteries. Any thoughts?
11-02-2015 03:19 AM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
What wattage are you using? And did you prime the coil before using it?
11-02-2015 03:20 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
JohnnyMac (02-11-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 1,940
To be completely safe its best to walk up carefully with gun in hand and kick them Sarcastic_hand

No seriously If we were on about a first batch subtank it could be something to do with the insulator but I've not heard of any such issue with the atlantis Scratch_one-s_head

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
11-02-2015 05:58 AM
Chase_the_Clouds Offline

25 watts which is the middle of the range it said to use and yup, primed the coil. 
11-02-2015 10:54 AM
kramer Offline

If I accidentally change the wattage on my units, I'll get a highly burnt taste. Took me a while to figure out that's what it was, but it happens kinda often.
12-02-2015 10:34 PM
madecov Offline

Likes Given: 2
I've moved a bunch of Atlantis and Subtanks. The Atlantis coils are averaging 3 weeks for everyone. Yes flavor is a little muted in the Atlantis. 25 watts is really the bottom of the range for the Atlantis. The coils use a fibrous silica but are going to be changed out for cotton in future production runs. Some juices don't do sub ohm well and you can develop a tolerance or lack of sensitivity to the flavor. I tend to run bolder flavors in mine. My Kanger Subtanks have better flavor and my Delta II has great flavor and even better vapor but needs 35 watts at the bottom end to preform. Try a liquid with a really bold flavor in the Atlantis.

[Image: 1379125800_10_1_USD_5_dark.png]
15-02-2015 05:46 AM
Nihilum Offline

If an Atlantis tank is going bad, the draw will get tighter and tighter until you cant draw from it, or it will taste burnt.  However, if neither is occurring, then you're probably suffering from vapor tongue....meaning your tongue is losing it taste for that particular juice.

The Atlantis holds flavors very well...whether light or bold...the difference is your taste.  Also, try using a smaller air hole.  The smaller the hole, the more flavor...though less actual vapor...and vice versa.
24-02-2015 10:43 PM