Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
How do you dip yer wick?
Eggza Offline

Likes Given: 1,117
RE: How do you dip yer wick?
(14-07-2016 02:04 AM)Chuck-Drl Wrote:  need to pick the bain of the coil guys . working with claptons and runing into som awkwardness ( 3 hands would help ,just saying ) with the process .
using a set of swivels ( 3 ) , and a dremil . the dremil works well but occupies one hand . i do have a drill ,but it's a real beast ( milwaukee magnum 75th anv edition )
what i need is a way to control the spool , any idas ?
on the up side i did pull off a nice .4 ohm single clapton 316L/.15 k . not as tight as some , but cherry resistance for the D2 . a second just like it would hit min resistance perfectly.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, but it sounds like you need a few alligator clips with weights. There are a couple of really great Youtube videos (no link handy atm, sorry) demonstrating the building of exotic coil types using them; the weights allow the builder to operate the drill and control the wrap while keeping tension on the feeding wire(s). Please consider wearing some safety glasses when you work with your wire, too.

As an aside, has anyone here ever seen the coils that ship pre-installed on the Smok TF-RDTA? It's freaking beautiful. It's like they made their clapton over one or more tiny ribbon cables and the result is a gorgeous oval wind that looks like a miniature staggered stapled fused clapton (framed wires, perpendicular to the ribbon with a little covey to hold juice between each staple). I really want to smoke it and it appears to have been perfectly installed by someone that very much knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, I have no idea what it's made of and Smok is evidently not saying anything other than a suggested wattage range. I hate that.
14-07-2016 02:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Chuck, I'm surprised the Dremel can go slow enough to make Claptons... Though that Milwaukee is a powerhouse and might not be any better Tongue

I usually just cut off the amount of wire I need, that way I don't have to worry about the spool. Of course that's an imprecise way to do it, and sometimes my coils are shorter than I'd like or sometimes I waste some wire, but to me that's a small price to pay. It's much easier to work with a loose loop of wire vs. a spool that could unravel if I mess up. 

When I do use the spool, it's just a balancing act. I've got big hands, so I'm usually able to hold the spool in my palm, just loosely enough that it can spin but just tight enough that it won't fall or come unraveled. Then I use my thumb and forefinger to direct the wire. It's not easy, and there might be a better way, but that's the only way I know.

Eggza, I just looked it up and you're right, those are beautiful coils. Since it gives a wattage range, it's not a TC coil, so I'd say it's most likely kanthal. From what I've seen, any pre-built coils that come with rebuildable tanks are always kanthal, I've never seen anything else used. But either way, I'm sure it's either kanthal, nichrome or SS so it's safe to vape in power mode, since it recommends watts instead of giving a recommended temp range. 
14-07-2016 06:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Eggza (07-14-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,382
@chuck a nail in a board so the spool hooks on vertically just under the wire between the drill and swivel will hold the clapton spool. You might need to wrap a rubber band around the head to stop the spool coming off. I have a handy slot in the body of my drill to hold a spare bit, works out great to slide a driver in to hold my spool Smile
@egzza you mean this coil? It's a losely wrapped fused clapton, while pretty, the clapton is to lose to have an effect on the vape of it.. ours are better eh mike? Big Grin

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
14-07-2016 08:58 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Eggza (07-14-2016), Michael (07-14-2016)
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,311
I have issues with the fused clapton as well. I hold the spool in the center with my fingers but I almost always hold it too tight because it almost always ends up stopping the swivels and causing it to twist.

Keep Calm and Vape On!
14-07-2016 02:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes mike.williams's post:
Eggza (07-14-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,382
Swivels work great for complex builds but a standard fc can be done without them.. I don't have any Wink
Find somewhere to mount the spool, then you can just guide the wire.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
14-07-2016 02:40 PM
Chuck-Drl Online
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,531
second set made , used a big ass alen wrench t o hold the spool . got a bit of flux .2 - .19 ohm so using it on the nemisis . lesson learned 7 2.5 wraps to get a dual coil as close to .2 w/o droping below asp

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
14-07-2016 05:13 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Chuck-Drl's post:
Eggza (07-18-2016), Michael (07-14-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

[Image: hdr_1468676758009_zpsuzfvafku.jpg]

24/32 Fused Clapton, all 316L stainless steel wire. Comes out to 0.11 ohms. 

To the folks who love the Goon.... Why? Maybe it's just the fact that mine's a clone, but I had a really hard time getting those coils installed. The screws are too close together to lay the leads side-by-side, and the screws are too short to put the leads on top of each other. Also it's really annoying to install coils on it because those little clamps on top fall down and you have to hold them up while installing. I'll give it a few more second chances, but for now I'm not all that impressed with the Goon. The main selling point in my opinion is how big of builds you can fit in it, but I could have fit these coils in my Phenotype-L more easily. 
16-07-2016 01:55 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (07-16-2016), Chuck-Drl (07-18-2016), Eggza (07-18-2016), Fatboy (07-16-2016), gentlydoingit* (07-16-2016), paulS (07-16-2016), Whiskeywarrior (01-06-2017)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,089
You are right Michael. I prefer my Kennedy 24. my Phenotype and my BSC. Also all the Compvapes. That said it's still quite a decent atty. I have two.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
16-07-2016 02:05 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like paulS's post:
Eggza (07-18-2016), Michael (07-16-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I did get a Double Vision clone too, I'm excited to try it out since it looks more similar to the Phenotype-L, big giant post holes. Though I think the posts are closer together than the Phenotype-L, which could limit the size of the coils. We'll see. I don't hate the Goon by any means, I just don't really see it as being any better than some others. I looked up the BSC, doesn't really look like my kind of thing but it's hard to tell, there's hardly any build pics of it. 
16-07-2016 02:23 PM
Chuck-Drl Online
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,531
starting to realy get the feal of the clapton builds , you get things going just right they seem to build themselves . now just need to learn to hit my target resistance , but that was once an issue with a basic coil for me . thinking on trying an alien coil later today , why not at worst ill bugger the build and besides one is unlikely to succeed if one doesn't try .
now for a hypothetical (for me anyway ) :
gears were grinding last nite , i tend think best when tring to sleep . the idea is to twist 2 strands of 28g then clapton a single stand of 26 then use ribbon wire to bind them together leaving a gap between wraps . the picture in my head looks sicker than an ipacac junkie . any thoghts or advice to refine the build are more than welcome.

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
18-07-2016 02:58 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Chuck-Drl's post:
Eggza (07-18-2016), Michael (07-18-2016), TinWhisker (07-18-2016)