Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
How do you dip yer wick?
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
RE: How do you dip yer wick?
If your going tp open them out, go ib small steps, and try it before each increase in size
17-12-2013 07:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
I got the pulse clone in today. I'm not sure what to think of it yet. It's pretty fussy to set up. Posts with holes would have been a huge improvement. The base that the positive coil wire wraps around is a very poor design. Because of how sharp it is where it sits it's easy to get a hot leg on the top of the wire. You pretty much have to leave it unscrewed to get it to work perfectly. At least I did. I did manage to get it set up and tasting pretty good without too much trouble. The air flow hole was also too small, par for the course with a lot of these. I drilled it out with a 1/16 drill bit. I started with four wraps of 28 and it was just burnt tasting constantly so I did it again with 5 and it's ok. Not a cloud chasing topper but the taste is good. Still not as good as a regular dripper though. 

I would give it a B- rating with a not for beginners note. 

[Image: IMG_4205_zpsb5ca5455.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 19-12-2013 10:01 AM by 18sixfifty.)
19-12-2013 09:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
apt323 Offline

Likes Given: 105
Well built me a coil for rba and measuring the resistance from the body to the positive pin its showing 1 ohm. So went to vape on it and its hot vape. Is this normal or have i done something wrong or do i need to increase the resistance?
21-12-2013 06:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline

No. Depending on the size of the chamber its likely to be quite warm. I use dual coils at .8 ohm in my igo w and thats a big rda, it soon gets the top cap jot to the touch when I chain vape it. If you got a nice small dripper with a little chamber then its likely to be hot.

Hows the flavour? If you just wish to reduce the apparent warmth you could experiment with longer drip tips, stainless drip tips, wider bore, acrylic. 

Ive bought a few now and its suprising what a difference they make to thr vape experience.
21-12-2013 07:03 PM
apt323 Offline

I bought a couple different RDA's just waiting on them. Also the vape is so warm the i dont enjoy vaping it. 

I will try the different tips on another order. Maybe turning down the wattage, by my calculations if its 4 volts at 1 ohm its 16 watts. Maybe a kick or something would help that way i could adjust the wattage
(This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 05:18 PM by apt323.)
22-12-2013 05:17 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,575
you would be better off with a 1.6 ohm coil or there abouts when starting out IMO. Unless you have drilled out the airhole you'll be struggling with a 1 ohm coil - it's just too aggressive for a standard unit with no airflow control.

The other alternative is to stick it on a VV/VW mod and set it to 9 or 10 watts where it'll be absolutely fine.

The problem with that though is there aren't many VV/VW mods that can handle a 1 ohm coil
22-12-2013 06:12 PM
gords1001 Offline

A kick would definitely help if you can fit one and if it'll run down to 1ohm. Which rda did you get?
22-12-2013 06:13 PM
apt323 Offline

This is the link to it is is the dream bt801 it has adjustable airflow. They had a winter sale and it was like $3 so thought i would give it a try atleast just for practice. 
https://vaporbank.com/shop/index.php?p=product&id=989
22-12-2013 06:25 PM
VaperUK Offline

Likes Given: 0
I`ve tested several things but am finding that .23 kanthal mini-coil with cotton wick (~2.0 ohms) is working best for me, on Kayfun style devices rather than Genesis types. (the Aga-T2 and the RSST went in the bin - not for me so I discovered)

Tried rebuildables quite a while back which didn`t last long at all, but I think the new devices that have appeared have helped a lot - I set myself up to fail miserably with the KFL as well (I only got as an experiment & out of curiosity), but found it worked really well !
22-12-2013 07:17 PM
gords1001 Offline

Lol. I also have a dream atomiser I do find it works well but its a dream bt804,  its a kayfun style device and was my first rebuildable. 

That does look extremely small, I'm not suprised it seems warm at 1ohm, I'd try wrapping another coil at 1.5 ish ohm, so say half as many wraps again as you used now, I cant tell you how many builds I try and throw in the bin, I'm getting better at it now though,  once you find your sweet spot your laughing.

I do agree with ukvaper though, a micro coil with cotton is generally my starting point on any device, easy to do and generally successfull. I use a 2ish mm screw driver as a mandril to wrapy coils and now I just squeeze them up cold,  fit, pulse to heat them and squeeze them and repeat till I'm happy.

I'll be recoiling my trident soon, I'll try and post pictures up of that but there's a few back in this thread.

Just been reading about this on of wick and wire on Facebook.  Might help some people out a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0068RQ...UTF8&psc=1
(This post was last modified: 22-12-2013 07:58 PM by gords1001.)
22-12-2013 07:31 PM