Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 5 Average
How do you dip yer wick?
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
RE: How do you dip yer wick?
Nice work johnny.  .18 wire?? Damm that's thin,  I'm using .2 and .25 and I'm thinking I want some .3 and ribbon wire. I'm also finding getting a genesis atomiser to work on soft wick frustrating,  I'm going to get some mesh soon.

You realise you can check resistance by metering between centre pin and threads in the base right?
12-11-2013 06:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
(12-11-2013 06:50 AM)gords1001 Wrote:  Nice work johnny.  .18 wire?? Damm that's thin,  I'm using .2 and .25 and I'm thinking I want some .3 and ribbon wire. I'm also finding getting a genesis atomiser to work on soft wick frustrating,  I'm going to get some mesh soon.

You realise you can check resistance by metering between centre pin and threads in the base right?
Sure do.  Was just too lazy to check it when I built it.  LOL.  I decided to check it before going to bed last night and it is 2.4ohms.  

I found a shop in the US that sells Kanthal ribbon in 10m spools for cheap but they don't take PP so I backed out.  I contacted them and, since they are pretty new, I recommended they set up to take PP payments and they will get my business plus many others I'm sure.  We'll see what happens.
12-11-2013 02:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,587
I was just about to post saying it'll be approx 2.6 ohms Smile not a bad guess there then LOL

Glad you go it sorted though, I like the idea of the vertical coil since you have all that room in there. I'm betting it's a nice cool vape with absolutely tons of flavour ?

I've been using 32AWG and found it a bit too thin so going to try some 28AWG (0.32mm) later on Smile
12-11-2013 02:46 PM
gords1001 Offline

I just picked up, literally picked up about a 2m long by 200mm deep length of 120 ish grade stainless mesh from a customer. 

Asked if I could take a piece, they handed me a full roll, I hope it works because there's probably fifty quids worth at least at vape suppliers prices. 

My customer was more than a bit amused to find out what I wanted it for lol
12-11-2013 03:18 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(12-11-2013 03:18 PM)gords1001 Wrote:  I just picked up, literally picked up about a 2m long by 200mm deep length of 120 ish grade stainless mesh from a customer. 

Asked if I could take a piece, they handed me a full roll, I hope it works because there's probably fifty quids worth at least at vape suppliers prices. 

My customer was more than a bit amused to find out what I wanted it for lol
Whoa Jackpot! nice one LOL
12-11-2013 03:57 PM
gords1001 Offline

Hopefully I'll get to try it tonight. If it works I'll bundle some up for you, there's far more than I could ever need even if every wick I made was a u wick. I'm a bit worried it may over wick, but I could always try a double wrap coil or something I guess.
12-11-2013 04:18 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

(12-11-2013 04:18 PM)gords1001 Wrote:  Hopefully I'll get to try it tonight. If it works I'll bundle some up for you, there's far more than I could ever need even if every wick I made was a u wick. I'm a bit worried it may over wick, but I could always try a double wrap coil or something I guess.

Cheers Graham!! you guys are too good to me Blush I don't know what to say other than thanks man!

I expect you'll have a play around and get something up and working well, I haven't looked much into SS mesh wicking to be perfectly honest and I think I really should be learning about this stuff.
12-11-2013 05:09 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

(12-11-2013 05:09 PM)Spasmod Wrote:  
(12-11-2013 04:18 PM)gords1001 Wrote:  Hopefully I'll get to try it tonight. If it works I'll bundle some up for you, there's far more than I could ever need even if every wick I made was a u wick. I'm a bit worried it may over wick, but I could always try a double wrap coil or something I guess.

Cheers Graham!! you guys are too good to me Blush I don't know what to say other than thanks man!

I expect you'll have a play around and get something up and working well, I haven't looked much into SS mesh wicking to be perfectly honest and I think I really should be learning about this stuff.
That is pretty cool. 8)

I have no idea where you would find something like that outside of a vape shop.  I plan to pick up some stainless steel 1/16" 7x7 strand cable for wicking today after work at the Tractor Supply on the way home. $0.28/foot.  I can only guess how much it would cost from a vape shop. Tongue
12-11-2013 06:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline

The customers I was at makes filters......all kinds of filters......have a guess what one of the things they use as a filter is?

Anyhow, it seems to work, I ended up at .8ohm with .2 kanthal, hot spot vaporised it instantly.....

Ok, .25 kanthal, its been good to me, carefully wrapped adding lots more coils this time.

Rrchecked them and spaced them, on the vamo........... .8ohm lol

Ok, onto the private v2, have I mentioned how much I like this mod yet? Well I do, It just loves low ohm builds, far more than the nemesis clone does, bit of carefull pulsing and it seems to be holding but for the top leg getting hot, give it a genesis tilt.........no hotspots! Just plumes of vapour, love it, it even gives a good taste.

I rolled the mesh into a straw, seems to work, I'm going to road test it on the nemesis tomorrow,  I figure the volt drop in that mod will help with hotspots, and I'm definitely going to get an all brass sentinel m16, stainless is a pretty poor conductor, I think that brass is the best way forwards in that respect and I'm liking the grand vapour based designs.

Do you know? Thinking about it, I have some narrow stainless rope in my van that I forgot all about......hmmmmmm I see a stainless rope/mesh hybrid wick in the future.

Cool Cool
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2013 08:28 PM by gords1001.)
12-11-2013 08:25 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

(12-11-2013 08:25 PM)gords1001 Wrote:  The customers I was at makes filters......all kinds of filters......have a guess what one of the things they use as a filter is?

Anyhow, it seems to work, I ended up at .8ohm with .2 kanthal, hot spot vaporised it instantly.....

Ok, .25 kanthal, its been good to me, carefully wrapped adding lots more coils this time.

Rrchecked them and spaced them, on the vamo........... .8ohm lol

Ok, onto the private v2, have I mentioned how much I like this mod yet? Well I do, It just loves low ohm builds, far more than the nemesis clone does, bit of carefull pulsing and it seems to be holding but for the top leg getting hot, give it a genesis tilt.........no hotspots! Just plumes of vapour, love it, it even gives a good taste.

I rolled the mesh into a straw, seems to work, I'm going to road test it on the nemesis tomorrow,  I figure the volt drop in that mod will help with hotspots, and I'm definitely going to get an all brass sentinel m16, stainless is a pretty poor conductor, I think that brass is the best way forwards in that respect and I'm liking the grand vapour based designs.

Do you know? Thinking about it, I have some narrow stainless rope in my van that I forgot all about......hmmmmmm I see a stainless rope/mesh hybrid wick in the future.

Cool Cool
Yeah, mate, I need to revisit the mesh and top tank on the AIOS.  I did a few things wrong that I've learned since researching my previous failure.  One thing is why my wire vaporised on me - it was grounding on the mesh wick making the wire between the post and coil the path of least resistance causing it to melt. Next time I will properly carbonize the mesh wick creating a non-conductive layer so it does not alter the resistance of the coils should they touch (and they will).  This is why proper mesh wicks are black and not silver like mine was.  I also rolled my wick too tight which made it tough for it to wick my 70/30 VG/PG blend juice.
12-11-2013 09:09 PM