Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How do you check out flavors - with or without nicotine
Boyblue Offline

Likes Given: 0
How do you check out flavors - with or without nicotine
I've mixed each of some of my flavors with 4mg nicotine & VG to get a better sense of each flavor.  Now I'm thinking I should I have left the nicotine out for a better indication?  I included nicotine because 4mg is what I now vape at and I wanted to get a sense of how the flavor tasted at that level.  I've mixed them all at 15%, I forgot to check the recommended strength.  I've mixed the rest of the flavors with 0mg nicotine and the average recommended percentage of flavor.

How do you get a sense of each flavor?
10-10-2017 02:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
8Melissa1 Offline

Likes Given: 25
RE: How do you check out flavors - with or without nicotine
I have read your post multiple times wanting to help but it has left me with too many questions too give a sensible answer. Can you please Clarify?
10-10-2017 03:42 AM
LilFracker Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 596
I usually mix 10ml samples and sub in PG in the amount equal to the amount of nic that is going to be used since nic is usually PG based. this will save you a great deal of money in the long run if you have a batch you can not salvage and have to throw out. Saying this some nic can change the taste of your e-juice and you may have to adjust flavouring accordingly to compensate when making final mix. Only your taste buds can decide that.
10-10-2017 10:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes LilFracker's post:
Chuck-Drl (10-10-2017)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,029
90% of all of my testers are mixed WITH nic. As LilF indicated, nic will change the flavour profile so without nic, you wouldn't be getting the true taste of your creation....and in my case 15ml-18ml testers @ 1.5mg nic, it's an expense investment I'm comfortable with.

FYI, I've mixed some without nic and when I was happy with the outcome, usually v3 or v4 and I added the nic, the profile changed and I had to restart from scratch with the adjustment of the flavours....I have days where I mix a dozen samplers....easy to automatically add 0.34g of 100mg VG nic to each 18ml bottle.....4g of nic for a dozen testers isn't expensive....if nic is expensive in the bottle size you're buying, buy it by the litre! Tongue
10-10-2017 07:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
ecignut (10-10-2017)
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,785
I never add nic to a flavor i'm unfamiliar with , i tend to keep nic in small volume so wasting it in a less than preferable juice is something i like to avoid .

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
10-10-2017 10:42 PM
Boyblue Offline

(10-10-2017 03:42 AM)8Melissa1 Wrote:  I have read your post multiple times wanting to help but it has left me with too many questions too give a sensible answer. Can you please Clarify?
I've mixed single flavors with Nicotine & Vg in 15ml batches, to get a sense of the flavor of each.  Half way through the process I decided to leave out the nicotine.  I was asking if there was another way to accomplish this? Is including nicotine a bad idea?

I started mixing flavors based on what I thought would work well together.  I had no clue what each flavor tasted like so this process is meant to rectify that situation.  So now when I mix hopefully I'll get better results.
11-10-2017 03:15 AM
Boyblue Offline

(10-10-2017 07:21 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  90% of all of my testers are mixed WITH nic. As LilF indicated, nic will change the flavour profile so without nic, you wouldn't be getting the true taste of your creation....and in my case 15ml-18ml testers @ 1.5mg nic, it's an expense investment I'm comfortable with.

FYI, I've mixed some without nic and when I was happy with the outcome, usually v3 or v4 and I added the nic, the profile changed and I had to restart from scratch with the adjustment of the flavours....I have days where I mix a dozen samplers....easy to automatically add 0.34g of 100mg VG nic to each 18ml bottle.....4g of nic for a dozen testers isn't expensive....if nic is expensive in the bottle size you're buying, buy it by the litre! Tongue
Is that for juice mixes, or do you do the same thing when checking a single flavor?
11-10-2017 03:21 AM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,029
(11-10-2017 03:21 AM)Boyblue Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 07:21 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  90% of all of my testers are mixed WITH nic. As LilF indicated, nic will change the flavour profile so without nic, you wouldn't be getting the true taste of your creation....and in my case 15ml-18ml testers @ 1.5mg nic, it's an expense investment I'm comfortable with.

Is that for juice mixes, or do you do the same thing when checking a single flavor?

I tend to use it for all mixes and in some cases also for tasting single or simple recipes...although sometimes I do leave the nic out as I only want to sample and establish a flavour/taste profile in different concentrations.......but only for the purpose of getting the true taste of the flavour - not intended really as a mix for vaping...for research purpose only and often in 10ml size....

Here is a simple test you can do to better understand my reasoning: mix a simple fruit solo DiY with and one without nic....10ml will be enough..... the peppery taste of the nic will be evident and you'll see how different they taste....since most of our recipes include nic, this is a simple but effective test.
11-10-2017 08:08 PM
8Melissa1 Offline

Likes Given: 25
(11-10-2017 03:15 AM)Boyblue Wrote:  
(10-10-2017 03:42 AM)8Melissa1 Wrote:  I have read your post multiple times wanting to help but it has left me with too many questions too give a sensible answer. Can you please Clarify?
I've mixed single flavors with Nicotine & Vg in 15ml batches, to get a sense of the flavor of each.  Half way through the process I decided to leave out the nicotine.  I was asking if there was another way to accomplish this? Is including nicotine a bad idea?

I started mixing flavors based on what I thought would work well together.  I had no clue what each flavor tasted like so this process is meant to rectify that situation.  So now when I mix hopefully I'll get better results.
thanks for getting back to me .  FB seems to have covered your questions
12-10-2017 03:25 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 8Melissa1's post:
Fatboy (10-12-2017)
Boyblue Offline

(11-10-2017 08:08 PM)Fatboy Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 03:21 AM)Boyblue Wrote:  

I tend to use it for all mixes and in some cases also for tasting single or simple recipes...although sometimes I do leave the nic out as I only want to sample and establish a flavour/taste profile in different concentrations.......but only for the purpose of getting the true taste of the flavour - not intended really as a mix for vaping...for research purpose only and often in 10ml size....

Here is a simple test you can do to better understand my reasoning: mix a simple fruit solo DiY with and one without nic....10ml will be enough..... the peppery taste of the nic will be evident and you'll see how different they taste....since most of our recipes include nic, this is a simple but effective test.
I will do that side by side test for sure.

To this point I've taste tested more than half of my flavors and they all taste as I expected but the taste level is surprisingly muted.  The only flavor that has a high level, is Cinnamon Danish Swirl (CAP).  The first few I used at 15% of total volume, the Cinnamon danish was done at 9%.  I wonder if this has to do with the fact that I've had these flavors for about 8 months, or is that the nature of these flavors?

For the samples where I followed the recommended %, I took the average between low & high, I believe I'll adjust the formulation to the max recommended and add nicotine to all samples for uniform comparisons.

So what would happen if I doubled the recommended % considering my flavors are week?  I could go to 30% total flavoring and still have a 70/30 mix because my nicotine is PG.  I know one issue is when I get new flavors in, I can't use the same formulas. 
(This post was last modified: 16-10-2017 01:32 AM by Boyblue.)
16-10-2017 12:39 AM