Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How To box mod idea
zimzy Offline

Likes Given: 0
Question box mod idea
so im sure i missed a good write up on this one or an artical somewhere.

im looking to get a set up a bit more smokable then stright stacked batterys. i personaly like a hot long vape. stacking doesnt allow for long vapes and one battery doesnt seem to get it hot enough in a resonable time.

iv been told a few times on batterys that use either in parrlle or in series dont swap anyone know if theres any truth to this

what i want to do is build a box mod with a on off on DPDT rocker that lets me "bump off" the coils in series then quickly switch over to parallel with still hot coils. anyone know if this is as safe as just stacking.

the planed build is to take a box put a 30 amp DPDT switch in it with 2 sony VTC 4 batterys and run a 25 AMP fuse out of the switch

Thanks for any help in advance
19-03-2015 02:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: box mod idea
I'm not an expert on the subject by any means, but I highly doubt if that would be safe to switch from parallel to circuit while vaping. When using a box mod, you need to be absolutely certain that the cells are charged equally, since unequal cells can lead to one cell charging the other, heating up the cells and potentially causing venting or exploding cells. It's true that you should only use the cells together and in the same device, for example if you've got a box mod that takes two 18650 cells, you should only use those cells in that mod and always use them together and charge them together. This keeps them equal in charge capacity, since using them apart from each other will cause them to deteriorate at different speeds. Honestly I don't see why you would want to switch from series to parallel, I can't see any real advantages to it. You'd probably be better off just getting/building a box mod in series. I don't know of any reason you shouldn't take long hits on it, and it would heat the coils up faster than a single cell for sure. 

Like I said, I'm not an expert though, I just own a couple box mods and I like to talk to people about how they work. The real electronics experts will be along shortly, they live in the UK so they're likely asleep right now. 

And welcome to the forum! Smile
19-03-2015 04:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,938
A suitable switch to do this would need to support an awful lot of amps - and is thus going to be massive.

You'd be better off going with something like an 8.4 or 12.6V Lipo - see gords1001's posts on his giggle box.

This is a much safer way to get more power. Lipos are cheap enough from the likes of HobbyKing though you will have to budget for a suitable hobby charger with cell balancing. Lithium polymer batteries can be had at ratings of over 300A so will provide plenty of power for any style of vaping. Just use a suitable MOSFET for switching that sort of power and you'll be fine. Capacity just depends on how big a box mod you want, but 6000mAh at 12.6V can be had.

But be careful about shorts. A 60C rated lipo at 6000mAh will produce 360A. This is a huge amount.

At 4.2V that is 1.5kW, 3kW at 8.4V and 4.5kW at 12.6V. This is heading for enough to melt atomisers, let alone their insulators.

But if you need more power, lithium polymer cells/batteries are the only safe way to go.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
19-03-2015 10:08 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Michael (04-13-2015)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I've just put a build thread up on a 4.2v lipo box.

I assure you you wont want for power
19-03-2015 10:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
Michael (03-19-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,068
I'll stick with my Sigelei 100W plus I don't want to melt my lips Wacko2

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
19-03-2015 10:49 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
Michael (03-19-2015)
zimzy Offline

like i said its not so much a "power thing" because i had a set up that i was vaping around 120watt and the only thing i LOVED about it was there was no wait for vape. hit button take quick drag before the fireball and all was good. but there inlied the problem before the fireball i personaly want somthing that would heat the coils up and then drop to about 70~90 watt

gords1001 - its funny that you post that artical i did mock one up on paper that looked exactly like what you just did but my fear on that build is that it would be to close in proformance to the build i did at 120 watt where you could only take a half second drag before the coils cought fire and or made any juice taste burnt
(This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 01:19 AM by zimzy.)
20-03-2015 01:01 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I think that really just depends on how you build your RDA. Bigger coils would mean slightly slower time to heat up, but you'd be able to take longer hits, and really when it's that high of power you're not going to notice the slight delay because it would be so minimal. With high power devices, you don't need super low resistance builds for it to heat up fast. I use a Sigelei-100W and a God Mod 180, I build them to .7 ohms and run it at 80W or so and it heats up almost instantly but I never get dry hits. But you'll also want an RDA that can hold a decent amount of juice. I would get dry hits every so often when I used a Doge RDA, since it has such a small juice well, but with my Dark Horse I never have to worry about that.  

EDIT: Scratch that. I wasn't thinking about the fact that my Sigelei and God Mod are both regulated mods. If you did it fully mechanical, it wouldn't be able to push as much power through the atomizer at higher resistances. My bad. 
(This post was last modified: 20-03-2015 03:16 AM by Michael.)
20-03-2015 02:23 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
zimzy Offline

so after some thinking about it i decided to give gords idea a shot. i placed the order last night for what is pretty much the set up he goes over on his page
21-03-2015 09:45 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes zimzy's post:
gords1001 (03-21-2015)
zimzy Offline

after it being lost in the mail for a bit i finally got it built. i have to give it to gords, great mod i have 4 parallel coils in this thing with i believe 22 gauge wire putting this thing somewhere between .1 and .05 ohms coils heat as soon a button is pushed. smokes like a dream. also a Very important side note is i can chain vape with this set up till my lungs are blue and it doesnt get hot anywhere. my mutation v3 even stays a lot cooler then when i was vaping on 18650s at .5 ohm dual coil build.

once again thanks gords
10-04-2015 08:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like zimzy's post:
BOB (04-11-2015), Michael (04-13-2015)