Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How To Newbie wants to build a box mod
ghh3rd Offline

Likes Given: 0
Newbie wants to build a box mod
Hello - first post here!

62 yrs old, and I started vaping a few months ago with a Halo Triton.  As promised by my 17 yr old son, I have already purchased something else -- a Triton Twist variable voltage battery. 

I have also already become interested in building a box mod as a father/son project... and am looking for the ability to make the clouds I see coming out of an EGO Twist, or better :-) ).  

Any suggestions on preferred variable voltage/wattage chips that would support a RBA or RBD atomizer?  Buttons, battery connectors, LED's... RBA favorites &/or things to watch out for?

Are there any forums that are devoted to building mods?

Any help would really be appreciated.

Randy
23-04-2015 11:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
RE: Newbie wants to build a box mod
Hi there Randy and welcome to the forum. Building a box mod sounds like a really fun father/son project. There are a multitude of FAQs and how to videos on constructing a box mod. The first thing you want to do is decide what type you want to build. You could build an unregulated mechanical box mod, which is simply wires, buttons, contacts and resistors, or you could build a nice regulated box mod, which is pretty similar except for a chip that is installed to regulate the power. Second, I would suggest, that you watch a few videos and check out some how to FAQs on the subject just to verse yourself with the project at hand. I would be happy to point you in the direction of resources for this project. Just gimme a bit to get to my computer an wade through some of my bookmarks to find the things you need.
23-04-2015 11:27 PM
ghh3rd Offline

Likes Given: 0
I appreciate the reply and offer for the links.  We'd like to try one with volt/watt regulation.  I see that there are a lot of chips out there, and it's sort of confusing which one's would suit our purpose... including of course the ability to get some nice clouds :-)
23-04-2015 11:58 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Welcome to the forum! We have quite a few mod makers here who might be able to help, I've learned a lot from them as I try to figure out how to build my own, though I haven't gotten around to actually doing it yet. The chip you use and the type of mod you want to build will vary greatly depending on what you want out of it. A lot of people build box mods because they need more power than they can get from a store bought device, but it sounds like you're more interested in it as a project and not necessarily to vape at super high power levels. Most people who want clouds like an eGo Twist just get an eGo Twist, and the box mods you'll seeing built are usually much, much more powerful. 
As far as RDA suggestions, I'd highly recommend the Dark Horse RDA. It can be built single or dual coil, and you can adjust the airflow to suit your personal tastes. If you like a tight draw, you can do that, or if you're like me and like a super airy draw, it can do that too. It's a super easy RDA to build on as well, which is good for beginners. If you prefer a tank, I'd recommend the Kanger Subtank Mini. You can use pre-made coils with it or use its included RBA deck to build your own coils, and it's the easiest tank to build on that I've seen. 
Both of those atomizers are great for vaping at higher power levels, but can also be built for lower power, so you've got a good range of variety to choose from. You're kind of jumping in feet first by building a mod before you've got any experience with rebuildable atomizers, but that isn't a bad thing Smile Above all, I'd say make sure you know what you're doing and research it a lot to make sure you're being safe. When it comes to building your own coils and mods, it's much better to be safe than sorry. 
Hope that helps, and once again, welcome!
24-04-2015 04:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,587
Nice to meet you Randy! congratulations on finding Vaping and welcome to our community Drinks
24-04-2015 06:05 AM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
hi Randy welcome to TVF
this site has some good info  http://www.modmaker.co.uk/

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
24-04-2015 05:42 PM
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Welcome to the TVF family, Randy! It's great to have you with us. Smile
24-04-2015 11:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 12,220
Hi and welcome Randy!

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
26-04-2015 07:43 AM