Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Homebrew anyone?
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 987
Homebrew anyone?
Anyone here home brew?

Got a Mr Beer for xmas from my fiances mom, and it came with Classic American Light (Bud Light). Not a big fan of light beer, and my fiances brother in law had brewed up a batch of it and it wasnt that good, so I decided to add a cup of honey to the wart.

Its been in the keg fermenting for 15 days, and I just put it in the fridge for a crash cool, and I will bottle it up tomorrow night. Should be ready to drink in 2 weeks.

My fiances mom picked these Mr Beer kits up for dirt cheap right after xmas last year, so all the guys got them for xmas this year. So later this fall we are going to be having a brew off. We all need to start with a Mr Beer refill, but can do anything you want after that. 

I thought I would also get a head start by experimenting on my first batch. If this batch turns out good, I will do the same thing, but add some pulverized and strained blueberries to the wart after a week fermenting. If the honey in the wart does not work out good this batch, I will mix up the wart like usual, and add the honey too the wart after a week, and let it ferment another week.

Read online that the honey is all fermentable, so I will end up with a higher alcohol content and with just a hint of honey to it, and a dryer beer. If I waited a week and then added it, I would end up with more of the honey flavor

One of my favorite beers is Shipyard Smashed Blueberry, so going to kind of aim for something like that

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
19-01-2014 05:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,155
RE: Homebrew anyone?
Used to. Gave away the kit. But found some brew in the back of the garage which had been there for several years. Very high alcohol, very dry and actually rather nice. Which it certainly hadn't been before it got slung in the back of the garage.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
19-01-2014 05:38 PM
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Got any tips or tricks? By the smell of the wart today, I am guessing this is probably around 7.5%, maybe a little higher. But, I am not a professional alcohol sniffer, and dont have the equipment to actually calculate the alcohol content.

When I bottle it tomorrow, I will probably sample a small amount to see how it tastes flat lol

19-01-2014 05:54 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 9,002
I'd like to do some. A friend on mine brews his own and he's pretty good at it, will have to ask him what he's doing with his old kit Tongue

We have an old Bramley apple tree in our garden it's huge and produces several tons of apples each year so I could probably make a half decent cider if I got him to give me his press too hehe Smile

Sounds like some great homebrew fun is on the horizon Pulsar
19-01-2014 05:56 PM
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

I thought it will be fun. Not so much right now, but I havent got any end product yet Big Grin

I think I want to get a few more containers to ferment in, and some more bottles. Once I get a good recipe I would like to do more than 2 gallon batches. Also would like to try some ciders.

Me and my dad have discussed making a still a few times. If a batch ever turns out bad, we could just run it through the still Tongue

19-01-2014 06:04 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Keep an eye on the density - a hydrometer is useful here. They aren't expensive.

As the sugar is fermented to alcohol, the density drops. Basically the higher the original gravity (Density) the higher the (eventual) alcohol content but the longer it will need in secondary fermentation unless you like horribly sweet beers - I hate them and prefer a lower alcohol beer that can be quaffed without requiring a sick day the following morning.

Keep everything clean (And sterilise before use). And the longer in secondary fermentation (In the bottle, cask or whatever) the better.

For the sort of beers I prefer, they don't need a long time in the bottle to be ready. But it doesn't hurt to give them a bit longer.

They do need a lot of hops though, which is why I prefer English to Scottish beers.

19-01-2014 06:05 PM
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

I am a fan of most any beer as long as its not a watered down light

19-01-2014 06:17 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Can't abide love in a canoe beers!

19-01-2014 06:21 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Your alcohol content depends not only on how much sugar is available but also the type of yeast you are using. Each type of yeast will die off at a certain point. The most hardy yeast that I know of can stand up to 20% alcohol before being killed off. I quit drinking a while back for health reasons but I used to make a lot of beer and wine. Mostly wine. 

If you add more sugar or honey or anything like that and your yeast dies off before it can ferment the sugar you will end up with a sweet wine and not a dry wine. 

One hint if you want to get into making large batches is to go to your local water guys, like Culligan. They will sell you empty 5 gallon water bottles for very cheap compared with buying from brew stores. 

The other things to watch out for is temperature control and cleanliness. You really can't be too clean when it comes to making alcohol. The fact that you have to keep it in a range that yeast likes also means that it will be at a temp that other things you don't want growing like as well. If you do kill off a batch of yeast when it gets too hot or too cold it is possible to restart the batch by adding more yeast, although it doesn't always work it's worth a shot. 

I used to get supplies from these guys and they were pretty good. Decent prices, fast shipping and good customer service. 

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pages/pro...MgodRjcAqQ
19-01-2014 06:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

That is a good idea! I can get those 5g water jugs at work for free I think. We have them everywhere. If not, I can talk to the guy that delivers the water and see what he can do. Not sure the guards at the gates would let me out of the yard with one.

19-01-2014 06:45 PM