Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
High ohm build?
Atavar Offline

Likes Given: 0
High ohm build?
As a flavor chaser who could care less about cloud I am thinking of building some higher, maybe even plus ohm coils to use in TC mode.  My thinking is that higher ohms means less current means longer battery life while TC mode holds the same temperature at the coils.
The conundrum seems to be that higher ohms equals smaller wire and more turns.  To my understanding the smaller wire limits power (before the wire fuses) that can be used and reduces heating efficiency to the juice.  More turns can make it hard to fit a coil in to the deck.  
I am vaping with either a WisMec 2/3 or a Triade, so I have plenty of power and battery available.  
Any education, advice or build recipes would be greatly appreciated. 
24-12-2016 06:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: High ohm build?
You're right, with higher resistance coils you can't use as much power. If I tried to use a 1.0 ohm coil at 100W it would melt instantly. 

You probably don't want to go too high resistance, since past a certain point it's difficult to vape DTL. High resistance coils are better for MTL vaping. Now, if you want to vape MTL, that's another thing entirely, I just mean if you're used to DTL vaping then it'll be a weird transition. 

For a higher resistance DTL coil, I'd try dual claptons with a 26ga core. That way you get great flavor from the clapton style wire, but it's also lower resistance and you can do more wraps to get it where you want it. If you want to vape MTL, then you can use a 28ga core to make a Clapton and make it single coil. Really for a flavor chaser, clapton coils are the way to go, it just depends on what resistance you want for the rest of it. 

I think you'll do well to find a middle ground: don't go too high resistance, but raising the resistance a bit will let you use less wattage and get a nice flavorful vape while conserving battery life. 
24-12-2016 07:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
ecignut (12-26-2016), gentlydoingit* (12-24-2016)
Atavar Offline

I don't see how I could do that.  Using AWG28 SS316 with an AWG30 overwrap dual coils it would take 12 wraps just to get .4 ohms.  12 wraps of parallel clapton is really tough to fit in a deck.  That would be a 13mm wide coil (1/2 inch).  
Using a parallel AWG30 core and ten wraps would get about the same resistance but would still be 10mm wide.  
24-12-2016 08:30 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Sorry I didn't realize you were using SS. I was talking about Kanthal gauges. And I said clapton, not fused clapton. So just a single core, not parallel. 
24-12-2016 09:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,436
What deck are you building on?

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
24-12-2016 11:28 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,436
I'd say there's no point trying higher ohm builds in anything other than kanthal for the reasons you've stated. 
30-28g straight or clapton wire is your only choice.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
24-12-2016 11:31 PM
Atavar Offline

building on a petri or griffin.  Kanthal won't work because I use TC.  Besides, breathing aluminum oxide from Kanthal cannot be good.  
I am really hoping to find a good higher ohm coil recipe for TC.
(This post was last modified: 24-12-2016 11:39 PM by Atavar.)
24-12-2016 11:34 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I'm pretty sure kanthal doesn't make aluminum oxide. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that's how alloys work. It's a mixture of metals, so even though it has aluminum in it, the aluminum doesn't oxidize because it's mixed with the other metals so you're not breathing any aluminum oxide if you use kanthal. 

TC doesn't really work with high resistance. The metals used for TC (nickel, titanium, or SS) are all low resistance, which is part of what allows them to work for TC in the first place, since they have a higher TCR (temperature coefficient of resistance) and it's quite difficult to build higher resistance with them since they have such low resistance to begin with. Your best option for higher resistance would be 316L SS wire in very thin gauges, and even then "higher resistance" would mean somewhere around 0.5 ohms max. You could theoretically use 32ga SS wire to make pretty high resistance, but then you'd have a pretty terrible vape. 
25-12-2016 05:30 AM
Atavar Offline

It is my understanding that aluminum alloys will emit oxides when heated to sufficient temperature.  

What I have read says that for TC mods to work reliably in TC mode the resistance should be at least .3 ohms.  That puts the delta R (change in resistance) in a usable range.  
25-12-2016 08:04 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I just did some research. Turns out, aluminum alloys don't "emit" aluminum oxides, per se. Aluminum oxides are formed on the surface of the alloy, which protect the alloy from oxidizing further. Basically a happy little force field of oxidized aluminum that keeps the rest of the wire from corrosion, and the aluminum oxide has an insanely high melting point so it's actually very stable and has very little chance of getting into your vapor. From everything I've read, I'd much rather risk it with aluminum oxide than nickel or titanium. But of course, this is just a fairly cursory search (maybe 45 minutes of research) so I don't know everything about it, maybe our resident chemist will chime in later. (Don, paging Dr. Don...)

Anyway, you're right about TC, you need around 0.3 ohms or higher for SS to work in TC mode. Ni can have lower resistance since it has such a large TCR, but there's the nickel oxide thing (objectively much more dangerous than aluminum oxides by all counts). 

I just used a coil calculator to figure it out, and for SS 316L wire, a 26/32 clapton would be 8 wraps around a 3mm ID to get a 0.3 ohm coil. To get a 0.4 ohm coil, you could use 9 wraps around a 3.5mm ID. Or if you want a 0.5 ohm coil, you could use 28ga SS 316L as the core, wrapped in 32ga, 8 wraps on a 3mm ID.
25-12-2016 02:48 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (12-25-2016), Fatboy (12-25-2016), gentlydoingit* (12-25-2016)