Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Help choosing a battery
Salofrse Offline

Likes Given: 0
Help choosing a battery
[Image: 2wfmecn.jpg]
Hi all, I'm looking at purchasing the Eleaf istick 60W TC. And as I've learnt, it's of great importance to have the right battery that can handle your vape style. 

I don't care for the most capacity (mAh), I find amp more important when choosing the battery. I want a battery that allows me to vape from 0.05 - 2.5 ohms (as I'm not sure yet what I'll prefer vaping at or what I'll be using most of the time). 

Their site recommends the Sony US18650VTC4 batteries, but I've heard mixed reviews on them. So I'm after some advice from experienced vapers Smile

(I heard somewhere that IMR (Li-Mn) batteries are the safest for vaping)

The reason I've chosen the istick 60w is because it's the only mod I've tried, if you can recommend a better quality mod I'd like to here your views Smile

Thanks guys

02-04-2016 07:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,938
RE: Help choosing a battery
It'll be fine.

Personally I'd go for Sony VTC3 cells (They are low capacity but have pretty much the highest sustained discharge capability of any 18650). Just make sure they are genuine. A single cell 60W mod at full power from a partially depleted cell can be asking for 25-30 amps. There are LG cells of comparable spec (But my memory's not working just now) and these are much less likely to be fake - there are an awful lot of fake Sony cells out there.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
02-04-2016 08:02 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Fatboy (07-26-2016), Michael (04-02-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Don's the expert when it comes to batteries, so I don't mean this contradicting him but just offering another option. Since Sony cells are hard to find (because most being sold are not genuine) I recommend Samsung 25R cells. They're almost as good, and much less likely to be fakes. Also LG HE2, HG2 and HE4 are all good cells as well. 

I wouldn't recommend the iStick mod, they've been known to have poor quality control and worse customer support. My suggestion would be a UD Balrog, it's a very nice mod, inexpensive and goes up to 70W. 
02-04-2016 09:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Don (04-02-2016), Fatboy (07-26-2016), Vapestart (04-03-2016)
Vapestart Offline

Likes Given: 14
I echo Michael's reply on this one, I have been using the Samsung 25R (green version) for a long time and have had 0 issues with these, personally I think they offer the best of both worlds discarge rate and capacity. 
03-04-2016 07:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,848
Same for me and the LG HG2's. Been vaping with them for months with no issues.
03-04-2016 07:34 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Fatboy (07-26-2016)
Salofrse Offline

Hi guys, only just got the chance to reply :O

Thanks to all for the help. I ended up getting the Koopor mini 60w TC which came with an LG HD2 battery (at £19.99 it was hard to pass up), I'll get my bro to update the software with the ST-link V2 programmer. Also ended up getting the Koopor plus 200w TC (£29.99), and got some LG HB6's to go with that Smile

Btw I found a guy that tests batteries for their true performance, and along with your advice I found it quite helpful, some others may do too.
Here's a chart of his findings (with their alleged amperage, and then their true amperage in brackets).
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)] [/color]
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 11:39 AM by Salofrse.)
06-04-2016 11:20 AM
Salofrse Offline

Don't know what's going on with these posts I've done (wouldn't let me edit or even delete, so I've ended up with multiple lol Confused
Anyhow, here's the pic of that chart I was talking about.
[Image: 2hfuako.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2016 02:49 PM by Salofrse.)
06-04-2016 11:29 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,220
You picked two of the least used batteries. The HD only have 2000mah, they're good cells but low on mah compared to most with the same discharge. The HB cells are excellent.. for mech, they have really great discharge rates. Again, a little low on mah for a regulated. They'll both work fine, but you may find they run down quite often if your chain vaping. 
Great prices for the setups though! Good

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
06-04-2016 12:57 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Fatboy (06-26-2016)
Salofrse Offline

(06-04-2016 12:57 PM) gentlydoingit* Wrote:  You picked two of the least used batteries. The HD only have 2000mah, they're good cells but low on mah compared to most with the same discharge. The HB cells are excellent.. for mech, they have really great discharge rates. Again, a little low on mah for a regulated. They'll both work fine, but you may find they run down quite often if your chain vaping. 
Great prices for the setups though! Good

Thanks.
I prefer having more amperage over mah, and especially as I'm not a heavy vaper it shouldn't be too bad (although that may change when I experience these mods with my chosen tanks Big Grin The cleito, triton mini and nautilus mini..) Will have three batteries all in all, so guessing there will always be a spare full battery about for the mini Smile. Probably end up getting a few more batteries though at some point.

The pic I posted of the battery chart also shows a lot of the most popular batteries are a lot less on their amps than usually claimed..
06-04-2016 02:43 PM
Salofrse Offline

(06-04-2016 02:43 PM)undefined Wrote:  Thanks..

I prefer having more amperage over mah, and especially as I'm not a heavy vaper it shouldn't be too bad (although that may change when I experience these mods with my chosen tanks Big Grin The cleito, triton mini and nautilus mini..) Will have three batteries all in all, so guessing there will always be a spare full battery about for the mini Smile. Probably end up getting a few more batteries though at some point.

The pic I posted of the battery chart also shows that a lot of the most popular batteries are a lot less on their amps than usually claimed..
06-04-2016 02:46 PM