Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello from South Alabama
stev32k Offline

Likes Given: 27
Hello from South Alabama
I just found this forum and joined up.  I quit smoking and started vaping on February 6 this year and have not had a cigarette since.  I tried lighting one up about two weeks ago and didn't like the taste. 

The first unit I purchased was a Vision Spinner II battery and an aspire tank.  I used juice with 24 mg of nicotine and green apple flavor and really liked it.  About three weeks ago I bought a Kanger Nebox starter kit from a friend that bought it new but never used it.  After the first week I was ready to give it away.  The vapor tasted terrible and it had a really strong throat hit.  After doing some reading I bought juice with 6 mg of nicotine.  That seemed to reduce the throat hit but it was still too much and the flavor was still bad.  I was beginning to think I had bought myself an expensive paper weight. 

The guy that sold me the Kanger had lost the instruction manual so I didn't really know much about it.  After searching the internet and watching a you tube video I discovered it had three modes of operation; temperature, temperature and wattage, or wattage only.  So I started playing with the settings.  When I finally tried wattage only and turned the wattage down to 7 watts it was like night and day difference in taste and throat hit.  There was no throat hit and the taste was much better. 

Next I bought some 1.5 ohm coils.  I had read that a higher resistance coil did not get as hot as say a .2 ohm coil.  After installing one I set the wattage to 15 watts which gives about 3.9 volts and that is about where I ran the Vision Spinner battery.   Now I really love the Kanger.
13-05-2016 02:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,323
RE: Hello from South Alabama
Congrats on giving up the cancer sticks and welcome to TVF!

Looks like you learned a good bit the hard way Smile

Keep Calm and Vape On!
13-05-2016 03:05 PM
stev32k Offline

Before vaping I had smoked for over 50 years (and have COPD to prove it).  I tried just about everything known to man to quit - hypnosis, group therapy, patches, nicotine gum, drugs, and cold turkey.  Nothing worked for longer than a few days before I was back smoking again.  Vaping has been entirely different.  A friend had quit smoking after taking up vaping and suggested I give it a try.  I knew almost immediately that it was going to work.  Vaping was as satisfying as smoking without the smoke. 

My only complaint is the flavor.  I started with green apple just because it sounded like it would taste good, but I really can't taste it at all.  I've since tried some others but I can't taste any of them.  Maybe my taste buds have been damaged with all the years of smoking but every flavor I try tastes the same - as in no taste at all.     
13-05-2016 03:28 PM
mike.williams Offline
Squonk Club Member
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,323
Congrats and welcome to TVF. You're taste should slowly come back. I went to vaping from smokeless tobacco and it took a couple of weeks before my taste really got back to what I would say is normal.

Keep Calm and Vape On!
13-05-2016 03:31 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Drink more water.  The vapor is a dessicant, meaning it takes water out of the air or surfaces around it.  hsi dries out your mouth and mutes your taste buds.  Also, it's good for you, lol.

Also be consious of how old your coil is.  Over time the wick will get old and it'll start to taste bad.

Congrats on quitting, and welcome to TVF! 

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
13-05-2016 04:34 PM
Whitesoxfan2579 Offline

Likes Given: 197
Similar story here. Welcome from a fellow newbie.
13-05-2016 06:08 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Welcome to the forum! As others have said, drinking water helps a lot with taste, and you're right that your taste buds have been a bit screwed up from smoking. The flavor should come back over time. 
South AL, eh? You should check out Boxcar Vapes in Birmingham if you haven't already. It's a really nice shop with some really good juice and knowledgeable staff. At least, it was last time I checked. I haven't been down there in about a year. I travel a lot through the southeast for work and I try to visit vape shops any time I'm in new areas. There's a few great shops out in Jackson, MS too, can't remember the names off the top of my head at the moment. Might be worth visiting if you're on that side of AL. 
13-05-2016 07:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,392
Hey stev, welcome.

It can be a steep learning curve with your first vw device, glad you got it sorted Good

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
13-05-2016 07:36 PM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,625
Hi and welcome!

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-05-2016 07:43 PM
stev32k Offline

(13-05-2016 07:01 PM)Michael Wrote:  Welcome to the forum! As others have said, drinking water helps a lot with taste, and you're right that your taste buds have been a bit screwed up from smoking. The flavor should come back over time. 
South AL, eh? You should check out Boxcar Vapes in Birmingham if you haven't already. It's a really nice shop with some really good juice and knowledgeable staff. At least, it was last time I checked. I haven't been down there in about a year. I travel a lot through the southeast for work and I try to visit vape shops any time I'm in new areas. There's a few great shops out in Jackson, MS too, can't remember the names off the top of my head at the moment. Might be worth visiting if you're on that side of AL. 
Actually I'm about 250 miles south of B'ham in Mobile about 3 miles from the Gulf of Mexico.  Around here people from Birmingham are called Yankees (unless they are friends or relatives) LOL. 

There's still a lot I don't know about vaping.  Like the differences in PG/VG ratios and how that affects the taste and throat hit of the vapor.  I also don't understand why one would use the temperature control.  I tried setting the temperature of the Kanger to 200 deg  C and the vapor was terrible tasting.  I saw some you tube videos where guys were setting the temp to 300 deg C or even higher and cannot understand why anyone would do that. 
13-05-2016 09:28 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes stev32k's post:
Michael (05-14-2016)