Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello all! New to Vaping
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
Hello all! New to Vaping
I fly model airplanes as a hobby. I am still trying to figure out motor size, prop size, wattage, amps. Well now I have something new to wrap my brain around... vaping. I went to a Vape boutique, and the lady there put together a nice system for me. Now I have been surfing the web on Vape sites. I guess there are many tanks, mods and batteries. I know..get to the question already. How do I tell what tanks go with what batteries. What does sub ohm mean? I don't mind spending X amount of dollars on a decent setup. Just don't want to waste my money on junk, like I did at the flea market.Dodgy

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
23-04-2015 12:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ElectronicEmily Offline

Likes Given: 93
RE: Hello all! New to Vaping
Hi Jerryz! Welcome to the forum Smile How are you getting on with your new system? 

With regards to the compatibility of tanks to batteries, most of them are interchangeable until you begin to sub ohm (I'll get to that later). There are two main threads you'll find on the tanks, which are the 510 and the eGo threads, both of which can be found on most batteries. I think this picture explains it better than I can:

[Image: ego-510-thread.jpg]

As you're fairly new to vaping, I'd personally recommend a tank such as the Aspire Nautilus Mini. It's simple to use, has a great BVC coil and has an adjustable airflow, which you can alter to your own personal preference. 

As for a battery, again this is personal preference. For something simple yet effective, look for an eGo battery with variable voltage adjustment such as the Vision Spinner 2. If you want something with a bit more power and adjustment capability, then something like the Eleaf iStick is a good shout (this is also compatible for sub-ohm if you want to do this in the future).

Now, sub-ohming is where you use a coil with a resistance of less the 1 ohm, which produces large amounts of vapour (you may have seen pictures and videos of people 'cloud chasing' - this is people sub-ohming Smile ). The Aspire Atlantis is an example of a sub ohm tank, as it comes with a 0.5 ohm coil. However, if you want to sub-ohm you must use a battery that is sub ohm compatible such as the Eleaf iStick I mentioned above. 

We've actually written a comprehensive blog post explaining voltage, watts & ohms which you can find here, which may be of some help.

I usually don't like to promote our blog outside of our sub-thread, but we genuinely write them to help newbie vapers like you, so you may find this useful - it contains links to blog posts we've written covering everything to do with e-cigs. 

I'm sure many people will reply with their own suggestions and helpful tips Smile  Hope this has helped a little though! 
23-04-2015 01:53 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like ElectronicEmily's post:
BOB (04-23-2015), CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-23-2015), JohnnyMac (04-24-2015), Michael (04-23-2015), Robjenko (04-23-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Thank you so much for your reply. I will spend some time studying it. What she sold me was an Aspire Atlantis tank, and an Eleaf Istick battery. Seems to work nicely. Only 30 watts. I would like a little more wattage.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
23-04-2015 02:42 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like jerryz's post:
BOB (04-23-2015), ElectronicEmily (04-23-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
Hello Jerryz and welcome! Emily hit the nail on the head with that explanation.
23-04-2015 02:45 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
BOB (04-23-2015), ElectronicEmily (04-23-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

I do like the larger cloud. A while back I "tried" vaping, and purchased a system from a flea market. It was bad, I hated it and quit. Butr I stopped in this boutique, and she hooked me up, and now I love it.

Hello CloudZ!!

The only hurdle I have is inhaling. I never smoked cigarettes but was a big cigar smoker, but never inhaled.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 02:51 PM by jerryz.)
23-04-2015 02:45 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,360
Welcome to our community jerryz, it's nice to have you with us.

If you're finding 30W a little lacking, the iStick 50W is also a great unit according to the reviews out there.
23-04-2015 02:47 PM
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
Indeed, I have seen some pretty great reviews on the 50w I stick. It would be a good jump for you, I think, because it will give you that extra little bump in power without giving you too much power to puff. As it pertains to inhaling, you are going to cough for a bit. Then when you stop coughing and you start to hit it harder and inhale deeper you're gonna cough some more. It shouldn't be overly harsh to inhale but, personally, I had to train my lungs to accept it.
23-04-2015 03:00 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Yes I agree. When you are only filling your mouth up with vapor, you don't get much of a cloud. I'm working on it though. I don't cough real bad, but I do get the cough urge so I don't hit real hard until I get used to it. I will check out the 50watt Istick..thanks

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
23-04-2015 03:06 PM
ElectronicEmily Offline

Likes Given: 93
(23-04-2015 02:42 PM)jerryz Wrote:  Thank you so much for your reply. I will spend some time studying it. What she sold me was an Aspire Atlantis tank, and an Eleaf Istick battery. Seems to work nicely. Only 30 watts. I would like a little more wattage.
That's exactly what I'm vaping on right now! Smile It does the job for me, I agree with Spas and Cloud on upgrading to the 50W if you want a bit more power. Also, if you're coughing pretty bad, make sure your nicotine strength isn't too high. With the Atlantis you'd use a lower nicotine strength than you would in standard clearomisers because of the increase in throat hit. I use a 0.6 in my Atlantis, but a 1.2 in standard clearomisers.
23-04-2015 03:45 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Actually, I use 0 nicotine. I was smoking cigars but didn't inhale. I am not really addicted to nicotine, but I do enjoy the act of smoking. I am vaping mostly fore the great flavors, and to quit cigars. As far as coughing, it's not real bad, but I guess I have virgin lungs LOL.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
23-04-2015 05:05 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes jerryz's post:
Michael (04-23-2015)