Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hello!
Puff N' Poke Offline

Likes Given: 2
Hello!
Hi everyone!  I am from a small town in Ohio and I am starting a vape business.  I am trying to do some research and find out what mods/atomizers people are interested in.  I want to provide the best and safest mods to my customers.  I would really appreciate any of your guys's feedback and experiences, or even just tips and advice.  How do you like to be treated when you go into a vape store?  What are some things you look for in a retailer?  I want to provide the best equipment and customer service I can so any input is more than welcome!  Thank you all ahead of time!  Heart
15-04-2015 11:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: Hello!
First...find good distributors.  The shop I work at uses 10-15 different distributors...each one has things we like.  Buy juice direct, whenever possible, as this will save you money.  Never buy juice from overseas, since you don't really know what's in it.  If your demographics allow, stay away from clones.  If your customers can afford authentic gear, they'll buy authentic gear.  However, not all of it has to be Magma, Dark Horse, Stillare, etc. My shop keeps a good selection of RDAs in stock and the prices range from $40 to $105.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most shops provide coil building.  So hiring someone that can do retail and building is a good idea, if you're not a builder yourself.  The main builder at my shop can do pretty much anything that a customer can afford (Claptons, suspension builds, etc).  Most of the shops in my area won't build below .2 ohms or do special builds.  My shop will build down to .05 as we carry boxes that can go that low.

Oh, another free tip...stay away from the Shopkeep POS program.
16-04-2015 02:44 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Nihilum's post:
BOB (04-17-2015), Michael (04-16-2015), Puff N' Poke (04-16-2015), Spasmod (04-16-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I'd say the best way to know what products to carry is to just keep up with the forums and latest innovations to see what people want. You've got a good start by asking on here Smile 
Deciding what products to carry depends on the clientele. I would say it's a good idea to carry some authentics and some clones, so there's something for everyone's budget. You'll also want to carry products aimed at both beginners and advanced users. For beginners, I'd suggest an Eleaf iStick 30W or Vamo v6, and for tanks I'd suggest the Aspire Nautilus mini, Kanger ProTank 3, and some inexpensive clearomizers like the Kanger T3D. For more intermediate users, the istick 50W is a great device, and for tanks I'd say the SubTank line is perfect. For advanced users, you'll want to carry some mechanical mods too. As far as clones go, the EHPro Caravela is the best I've tried, very simple and elegant. You'll also want some higher end variable wattage mods like the Sigelei-100W and the new SMS 60W. For tanks, the Arctic is supposed to be the latest and greatest, I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail to test it. The best RDAs in my experience are the Dark Horse, Mutation X, Veritas, and Patriot, but everyone's taste is different. The TOBH is also a popular RDA. You'll need to carry some rebuildable tanks, but that's not really my speciality so I'll let someone else tell you which of those are the best. 
When I go into a shop, I'm looking for threw things: (1) knowledgeable and friendly staff. If the guy behind the counter doesn't have a clue how to build parallel coils or can't tell me the different between a Samsung 25R cell and an LG HE2, I'm less likely to trust his opinion. (2) atmosphere. My favorite shops are all the kind of place where I feel at home just hanging out and talking to people, bonus points for having a pool table or couches. And (3) variety of products. I like to see a display full of awesome shiny mods that make me drool, and a juice testing bar with a good variety of flavors. Of course it can be hard to maintain a rich inventory on a startup, but that should be the ultimate goal. 
I hope that is a helpful answer, I just described a combination of my three favorite shops if they were all smashed into one Smile 

Oh and a note about safety: be sure to offer only the best batteries and chargers. The ones you want are Samsung 25R, Sony VTC4, LG HE2, and Efest 30A. Those are the best, safest cells available. If customers ask why they're a bit expensive, make sure they know that picking the correct cell for the job is even more important than the gear, because using poor quality cells can cause venting or exploding mods and no one wants that. Educate your customers on cell safety. If you've heard about the recent disasters where a couple of people have had mods explode, those things are preventable with proper care, and the vaping industry doesn't need any bad publicity right now as we're fighting unjust regulations and bans. 
(This post was last modified: 16-04-2015 04:39 AM by Michael.)
16-04-2015 04:33 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (04-17-2015), Spasmod (04-16-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,193
Some good advice there.

Welcome to TVF Puff n' Poke! I hope your plans work out well. Drinks
16-04-2015 06:03 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Michael (04-16-2015)
Puff N' Poke Offline

Likes Given: 2
Thanks guys!  I really appreciate your input.  Im going to just keep working and keep researching. Hopefully Puff N' Poke will eventually be a household name.  And if your wondering what the poke means....we also sell knives, swords, machetes, throwing knives etc.  Eventually we want to sell bongs/pipes and other smoking utensils as well as kink items such as whips and handcuffs.  Thus our name will have double meaning....puff n poke get it?  hehe
16-04-2015 01:45 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Puff N' Poke's post:
Michael (04-16-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
That's an interesting premise for a shop, it's definitely the kind of place I'd be interested in. Get all your adult fun in one spot! I'd definitely suggest you keep the whips and knives in a different section of the store from the vaping gear, otherwise your shop could get a bad name as a tacky sex shop that just happens to sell Ecigs. There are a couple of adult stores near me that have started carrying vaping gear, but honestly I'm really not interested in their Ecigs because I don't trust an adult store like that to really know what they're doing. So I'd suggest you try to make sure you are known as a vape/knife shop first and foremost, with a novelty adult section. 
16-04-2015 06:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Michael's post:
Puff N' Poke (04-17-2015)