Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Goodbye to an Old Friend
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Goodbye to an Old Friend
I recently sold my Vanilla mod and TOBH to a friend, and I must say it's a bittersweet parting. The Vanilla mod was the first mechanical mod I ever bought, so there's a lot of good memories tied up in that thing. I used it in my first cloud competition, and I used it for my first rebuildable atties. I named it "Longbottom Leaf" after the tobacco the hobbits smoke in The Lord of the Rings, since LotR is a story very near to my heart. I also named the short tube "Old Toby" which is also from LotR. 
Besides the sentimental value, that was a kick-ass mod. Solid copper tube with brass button and a copper 510 connection means it hit like a train. It has the best adjustable 510 I've ever seen. 
The TOBH was the second dual-coil atty I ever bought, especially to fit ol' Longbottom Leaf since it's a copper atty to match the copper mod. I had it drilled out and customized to perfection. 
The reason I sold them is because they were collecting dust. Since buying my Sigelei-100W, I barely use mechanical mods and if I do, it's a stainless mod because I can't stand having to polish it. I figured, why have a mod sitting around not being used when I could sell it and help someone else get a nice combo? 
Fortunately, the guy I sold it to cares about its history, and I'm glad it has a new home with someone who will use it and polish it. Call me a sentimental sap, but it's nice knowing that my mod, which has so many good memories associated with it, will be collecting new memories with someone else. 
By the way, the guy who bought my mod is GalaxyRider, here on the forum. He's a pretty cool guy, and I'm glad I'm getting to know him thanks to all this. For some reason I can't understand, he actually ENJOYS polishing mods, so I know that my good ol' Longbottom Leaf will be taken care of with its new owner. 
Yes, I'm sentimental and anthropomorphize my inanimate objects. Sue me. 
21-11-2014 11:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
Galaxyrider (11-22-2014), Ryan (09-08-2015), tuftony352 (09-08-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
RE: Goodbye to an Old Friend
I feel that way about my Victorian Lady, I will never part with her

[Image: IMG_0712_zps6f46df16.jpg]
21-11-2014 11:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Whiskey's post:
Michael (11-21-2014), Ryan (09-08-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Ohmigawd if you ever do part with her, let me know first cuz OMGIWANTIT! 
21-11-2014 11:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Whiskey Offline

LOL, I customized it from one of Fsors coppers, I am a steampunk mod customizer for hobby
22-11-2014 12:00 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I WANTS! lol I really want to build a wood and brass Steampunk version of a Sigelei-100W, but I don't have the know-how or the money at the moment. 
22-11-2014 12:11 AM
Whiskey Offline

If you have an old one that you want done up I can steampunk it for you , at no cost just shipping, I like to tinker with them.
22-11-2014 12:35 AM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
I can't remember when I first read LoTR I was very young. Before that I had read the Narnia books back to back over and over. I was probably 8 or 9 something like that anyway. It was those two series of books that turned me into a major bookworm. I still read at least two novels a week and sometimes even one a day. Of course it depends on the books. I'm not reading War and Peace in a day. LOL I own most of the books that I have read. I'm a second hand store nut. So I go all over the place to haunt the book sections. The problem is that I'm running out of room. I'm seriously thinking about adding a room to my house for my library. It's actually part of my SHTF strategy. If everything ever goes to hell I'm set up to live on my property without ever having to leave it. I could live without electricity but life without books would kill me!

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
22-11-2014 12:39 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
BOB (11-22-2014)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Whiskey I might take you up on that sometime, though I don't have one to spare at the moment. 

18sixfifty, I was raised on Lord of the Rings. They were my dad's favorite books in high school, pretty much the only thing he ever read in high school, and by the time I came along he had them all on audio book. So I heard them before I ever learned to read. They're my favorite book series by far, and I've read them all the way through 11 times. Which is a lot, considering how long they are and how little free time I have lol. I've read them once a year since I was 11, and before that I read the Hobbit over and over. I still haven't finished the Silmarillion though, I need to work on that. Lol

The Narnia books are great too btw, I've read all of them a few times, just not as much as LotR. 
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 01:28 AM by Michael.)
22-11-2014 01:27 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
18sixfifty (11-22-2014), Whiskey (11-22-2014)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(21-11-2014 11:40 PM)Michael Wrote:  I recently sold my Vanilla mod and TOBH to a friend, and I must say it's a bittersweet parting. The Vanilla mod was the first mechanical mod I ever bought, so there's a lot of good memories tied up in that thing. I used it in my first cloud competition, and I used it for my first rebuildable atties. I named it "Longbottom Leaf" after the tobacco the hobbits smoke in The Lord of the Rings, since LotR is a story very near to my heart. I also named the short tube "Old Toby" which is also from LotR. 
Besides the sentimental value, that was a kick-ass mod. Solid copper tube with brass button and a copper 510 connection means it hit like a train. It has the best adjustable 510 I've ever seen. 
The TOBH was the second dual-coil atty I ever bought, especially to fit ol' Longbottom Leaf since it's a copper atty to match the copper mod. I had it drilled out and customized to perfection. 
The reason I sold them is because they were collecting dust. Since buying my Sigelei-100W, I barely use mechanical mods and if I do, it's a stainless mod because I can't stand having to polish it. I figured, why have a mod sitting around not being used when I could sell it and help someone else get a nice combo? 
Fortunately, the guy I sold it to cares about its history, and I'm glad it has a new home with someone who will use it and polish it. Call me a sentimental sap, but it's nice knowing that my mod, which has so many good memories associated with it, will be collecting new memories with someone else. 
By the way, the guy who bought my mod is GalaxyRider, here on the forum. He's a pretty cool guy, and I'm glad I'm getting to know him thanks to all this. For some reason I can't understand, he actually ENJOYS polishing mods, so I know that my good ol' Longbottom Leaf will be taken care of with its new owner. 
Yes, I'm sentimental and anthropomorphize my inanimate objects. Sue me. 
Hes in a better place, a steady diet of "Cinnamon Roll", in a nice stand on the table next to my chair in the media room. He may have some compnay soon, I think I have just aquired a Brass Stingray. Big Grin The Stingray will be fed Tiger Blood. "I just love it when a plan comes together." Hannibal Smith, A-TEAM

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
(This post was last modified: 22-11-2014 01:08 PM by Galaxyrider.)
22-11-2014 01:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
Michael (11-22-2014)
JEFF Offline

Likes Given: 732
I first read LotR in 1977...damn I am feeling old all of a sudden.
08-09-2015 01:57 AM