Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,596
Good info on additives
This is copy/paste from EAT SLEEP MIX REPEAT site

Acetyl Pyrazine-
Sold by TPA.
Gives your juice a baked, toasted, or crispy note at 0.5%. At 1%, it adds the taste of toasted mixed nuts. At 2% it adds the taste of corn chips or corn flakes

Caffeine-
Sold by FW
Pretty much useless. You'd have to vape more than most people do in a short amount of time to get the effects of one cup of coffee.

Capsicum-
Sold by FW
The chemical that makes hot peppers hot. This stuff can be very dangerous.
My suggestion is to not even use it.

Ester of Wood Rosin-
Sold by FA as bitter wizard,
also an ingredient of FA, MTS vape wizard
0.5% Lightly bitter but blended nicely, think dark roast coffee.
1% or higher, gives the pleasant bitter taste akin to dark chocolate.

Ethyl Maltol-
Sold by TPA and FW as cotton candy
It is commonly used as a sweetener in ejuice, though it does not sweeten.
0.5 to 2 %
Light sensation of sweetness, followed by dryness.
3 to 7 % Lightly burnt sugar.
10%+ full on cotton candy.

Gamma Octalactone-
Heart / Middle Note to Base Note.
Sweet, creamy, dairy, fatty, oily, coconut.
Can use up to 50 ppm in a flavor concentrate.: Any more than 50ppm tastes atrocious. Tpa sells it full strength, so you will need to dilute it to 1% in pg before using; then you can measure it to 0.5% of your mix.

Guaiacol-
Sold by tpa,
and is an ingredient of FA black fire and INW Dirty Neutral base
Guaiacol is a naturally occurring organic compound with the formula C6H4(OH)(OCH3), first isolated by Otto Unverdorben in 1826. Although it is biosynthesized by a variety of organisms, this yellowish aromatic oil is usually derived from guaiacum or wood creosote. Samples darken upon exposure to air and light. Guaiacol is present in wood smoke, resulting from the pyrolysis of lignin. The compound contributes to the flavor of many compounds; whiskey and roasted coffee.
Guaiacol is a precursor to various flavorants, such as eugenol and vanillin. An estimated 85% of the worlds supply of vanillin comes from guaiacol. The route entails condensation of glyoxylic acid with guaiacol to give mandelic acid, which is oxidized to produce a phenylglyoxylic acid. This acid undergoes a decarboxylation to afford vanillin.

Isobutavan-
Sold by TPA
Is an ingredient of FA MTS vape wizard, TPA Smooth, FW flavor toner/enhancer by This is the "thickening" agent.
Sweet, and creamy vanillic character reminiscent of white chocolate, cream soda and with a soft apricot feeling. Isobutavan is much less discolourising than vanillin or ethyl vanillin . It is less powdery than vanillin and has a more creamy "thickening" effect.
Make a PG Solution of 1% Then DO NOT Excede 0.5% in a mix

Malic Acid-
Sold as TPA Sour and FA Sour Wizard
Malic acid was first isolated from apple juice by Carl Wilhelm Scheele in 1785.
Antoine Lavoisier in 1787 proposed the name acide malique, which is derived from the Latin word for apple, mālum—as is its genus name Malus.
In German it is named Äpfelsäure (or Apfelsäure) after plural or singular of the fruit apple, but the salt(s) Malat(e). Malic acid is the main acid in many fruits, including apricots, blackberries, blueberries, cherries, grapes, mirabelles, peaches, pears, plums, and quince.
It contributes to the sourness of green (unripe) apples. It is present in grapes and in most wines with concentrations sometimes as high as 5 g/l. It confers a tart taste to wine, although the amount decreases with increasing fruit ripeness. The taste of malic acid is very clear and pure in rhubarb, a plant for which it is the primary flavor. It is also a component of some artificial vinegar flavors, such as "salt and vinegar" flavored potato chips.The process of malolactic fermentation converts malic acid to much milder lactic acid. Malic acid occurs naturally in all fruits and many vegetables, and is generated in fruit metabolism.
Malic acid, when added to food products, is denoted by E number E296. Malic acid is the source of extreme tartness in United States-produced confectionery, the so-called extreme candy. It is also used with or in place of the less sour citric acid in sour sweets. These sweets are sometimes labeled with a warning stating that excessive consumption can cause irritation of the mouth. It is approved for use as a food additive in the EU,[10] US and Australia and New Zealand.

This is a great additive for fruits that you are looking to get a bit of tart/sour.
Use up to 2%

Guaiacol-
Sold by tpa
and is an ingredient of FA black fire. Adds a smokyness to your vape. Unless you dislike FA Black fire, their is no need to delve any deeper into this additive.

Methyl Menthyl Acetate-
Sold as TPA koolada and FW cool effects.
Menthol cool without menthol taste.
Does have a chemical back note to some users.
Use between 0.25 and 4%

Sucralose-
Sold by Everyone. Capella is the best on the market.
Artificial sweetener.
Adds that "Sugar lips" effect
Use from 0 to 2%

Triacetin-
Sold as FA AAA magic mask,
An ingredient of FA MTS vape wizard, TPA smooth,
TPA Smooth is a great additive, its ability to Bolden and enhance a mix is unparalleled
07-09-2017 11:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Fatboy's post:
52anddone (11-14-2017), LilFracker (09-07-2017), TinWhisker (09-07-2017)
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 17,719
RE: Good info on additives
Would be nice to know which are tank crackers and cotton killers.
07-09-2017 11:51 PM
Squiffler Offline
Toodle Club Member

Likes Given: 0
Sorry for the thread resurrection but this (extremely informative and useful) info disturbs me a little bit.  I did not know that, to get the more complex (and delicious) flavours, there's so much going on behind the scenes, so to speak, when using the enhancers (cool, sour, etc.).

I always assumed there are just 4 ingredients in e-cig juice - PG, VG, Nicotine and Flavouring.  I never realised that the flavouring part had so many facets that mean, technically, there are more than those 4 ingredients.  

In comparison to the stuff that goes in real cigs, this is summat and nowt but it's certainly food for thought.
24-12-2017 01:12 PM
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

The difference between flavor additives and cigarettes is the fact that flavor additives will not kill you.
24-12-2017 05:46 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
8Melissa1 (12-24-2017), Robjenko (12-24-2017)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

One of your FOUR items was flavours - all that I posted is found in soft drinks, candy and just about every single prepared food product that is commercially packaged.

The below are much much worse but used (consumed) regularly:

Calcium Sulfate is a calcium salt (a close relative of plaster of Paris and gypsum) very common in sliced bread
Sodium Nitrite used in cold cuts
Dimethyl Dicarbonate in beverages
Sodium Benzoate in salad dressing, pickled veggies, even in pancake syrup
BHT, or butylated hydroxytoluene, is an antioxidant used in cereals and baked goods
24-12-2017 08:43 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
TinWhisker (12-24-2017)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,167
Well said FB we do consume some c**p in our daily lives don't we

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
24-12-2017 08:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
TinWhisker (12-24-2017)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

90% of the bread I eat (I love bread) goes bad in 24 hrs as it's purchased fresh from a bakery.

I rarely eat cold cuts (sandwiches) but if I do, it's from a fresh ham or roast or other meat I cooked fresh in the first place.

I don't drink soft drinks other than the occasional Ginger Ale and all of my pickled goods are pickled at home - spices/herbs and vinegar....this old body may not be a pristine temple but doesn't need to be a old barn either! Tongue
24-12-2017 09:17 PM
TinWhisker (12-24-2017)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

A stand up comedian (can't think of his name atm) had an act where he asked the audience where else could you get 6000 chemicals for $9 if not for a pack of cigs! Smile
24-12-2017 09:17 PM
TinWhisker (12-24-2017)
Squiffler Offline
Toodle Club Member

Likes Given: 0
I'm still reeling at the creosote flavouring Crazy

I wasn't knocking the post by the way, I was genuinely surprised/shocked? that all that's going on behind the scenes in a simple flavour.
24-12-2017 10:24 PM
TinWhisker Online
The Salty Dog
Senior Staff

Well, it's understandable to look at what goes into flavorings and think something's afoot. But vape flavorings are also built to be used as food and beverage flavorings so there's nothing really to worry about.

By the way, concentrates are EXCELLENT when used in place of 'essential oils' for the little diffusers. Sugar Cookie and Strawberry fill a room with joy in no time flat.
24-12-2017 10:29 PM