Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flavor graveyard
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
Flavor graveyard
HuhI'm emptying out all these little bottles of failed flavor experiments, and starting over completely. I have experimented with very limited success, mostly with fruit flavors that have come out as tolerable, but definitely not what they could be. They lack the "soft" (for lack of a better word) flavor, I'm still experimenting with the flavor vs PG/VG mix. I know there's more to it, but Im at a loss as to what exactly. If someone is willing to help. the flavors that I working with now are;
Mango
Cotton Candy
Butterscotch
Peach
I'm sure this all boils down to me needing to add something else to the mix.. but what?
ANY help would be greatly appreciatedHuh

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
11-10-2014 03:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,203
RE: Flavor graveyard
Don't toss them. Think about what's wrong with them and what you could mix into them to fix the problem. Failures teach a lot more than successes.

For "fixing" mixes you can try 

Menthol
Sweetener
Souring agent
More flavour
dilution

and waiting a while.

And try flavours from another manufacturer. I'd heartily recommend solubarome.fr but postage might be a bit much from France

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
11-10-2014 07:28 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Spasmod (10-12-2014)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
(11-10-2014 07:28 PM)Don Wrote:  Don't toss them. Think about what's wrong with them and what you could mix into them to fix the problem. Failures teach a lot more than successes.

For "fixing" mixes you can try 

Menthol
Sweetener
Souring agent
More flavour
dilution

and waiting a while.

And try flavours from another manufacturer. I'd heartily recommend solubarome.fr but postage might be a bit much from France
Most of these have been tinkered with at great measure.. one thing I have learned, when you want to put something up for storage, (finished mix) you can use plastic, while mixing tho, use only glass, as plastic tends to hold flavors. That being said, Im still going to chunk all my plastic, and go to glass since Im the only one that will be using what I make, with the exception of close friends as additional taste testers.

I would still like to find some advice on what to use to soften, take the edge off, or to mellow out a flavor, I have a feeling that in the past, using plastic had something to do with that, but also not knowing what other flavors are "mellowing agents" is a big problem. I think getting those "utility" flavors would be a primary objective.  I have a feeling that this will be a long and winding road, but in the end I will be very happy. I see vaping as a very long term venture for me, so Im going to invest in glass mixing test tubes, beakers, pipettes, large syringes, etc., the only plastic I will use will be syringes that will either be for dedicated use or single use.

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
12-10-2014 12:56 PM
Don Online
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,203
Actually, if you can get them, there's a lot to be said for glass syringes too. Their markings tend not to come off in PG/VG unlike the plastic ones here. They will be considerably more expensive but will last essentially forever.

There are quite a lot of recipes out there freely available. To soften a flavour I'd just dilute it a bit. Or add some creaminess. Dulche de Leche is good for this but most recipes involving it take weeks of steeping as it tends to taste peppery at first. 1-2% should be plenty.

To take the edge off an overly sharp flavour I'd try a sweetener, sucralose or ethyl maltol. 1-2 drops per 10ml is a good place to start. Think of sweeteners as seasoning and add like you might add pepper or hot sauce to food. OK some people I know use both of these in quantities normal reckoned to be ingredients Smile

Caramel can be useful for mellowing - but again at around 1%.

A way that usually works for getting flavours (other than menthol - nothing seems to shift it) out of plastic is bleach. Denture cleaning tablets are pretty effective too. Milton - as used for sterilising baby bottles works well also. I have no idea if that is what it is called in the US.

I have a forest fruits concentrate that was lacking something - it was pleasant enough, but lacking something. Adding about 1% of a nasty chemical strawberry flavoured juice seems to work nicely to fill out the flavour - that same dirt cheap strawberry juice on its own was like trying to vape tear gas...

Adding fruits to a simple vanilla or vanilla custard flavour can work very well.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
12-10-2014 03:06 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
Lorann Cinnamon is my suggestion you can probably pick it up locally either at the super market or Wallyworld, only get the stuff that is extra strength it's for making rock candy. In very small amounts it will mix with any of your fruit flavors. 

I wouldn't mix butterscotch with any of the flavors you have. Also it's normally a very strong flavor and should be used sparingly in any mix but not with fruit at all.

Try this on for size. Mix 2 parts peach, 1 part mango, 1/2 part cotton candy and 1/4 part cinnamon. Use this mix as it's own flavoring. Give it it's own name, like summer breeze or something like that. Give it a hot water steep.

Now in a separate container mix your nic base. Unflavored. Vape that by itself until you figure out the mix you like. Chances are good that the nic you are using has a flavor of it's own so don't use that base until it's vapable on it's own. You will be surprised by how little nic base can be used without creating a rather nasty flavor. Think of it this way, if you can't stand the taste of your nic base what are the odds of liking anything you make with it?

Then toss out any recipe calculator you have. Simply put enough of the flavoring mix in the bottom of a bottle that by eye it looks like about 15% give or take. Then fill it 3/4 of the way with your pre-tested nic base. If the flavor is too strong add more nic base, not strong enough add more flavoring.

Once you have done this a few times and found something you really enjoy then you will be able to figure out your exact recipe and write it down.

Also don't worry about tossing stuff out too much, I have tossed hundreds of bottles. Although many times you can save those and later down the road use them as flavoring for something else.

Good luck.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
12-10-2014 03:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply