Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First time vaping with new iStick
paulS Offline
mech boy who sometimes toodles
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,018
RE: First time vaping with new iStick
Different coils have different life spans. Ceramic coils tend to last the longest. The Crown coils also last a long time. I would need to know which tank and coil yoiu are using, how much you vape a day to give you an idea of how long a coil should last. Also certain juices are much harder on coils than others. You change when your coil when the tank starts to leak and bit and the flavor seems off. It feels almost like a dry hit.

You will get a feel for it once you have vaped a bit longer. Trust me, you will want to change the coil. Now my son, who vapes quite a bit, keeps his coils way longer than me. He just seems okay with a gunky coil whereas it drives me crazy. So there is no hard and fast rule. As for cleanliness - clean your contact points. Check that there is no juice in the battery housing. Wipe, wipe wipe. When you change coils give your tank a good cleaning. Take it apart.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
04-06-2016 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
bibliora (06-04-2016), Fatboy (06-04-2016), greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I find that from my experience, flavor going funny is the first sign of a coil going bad. Usually I notice the flavor going bad after just a few days, because I vape a LOT. I could wait until the coils stop working, but I'd rather just have good flavor and change it more often. 

That's when I'm using a tank that's not rebuildable. Normally I'm like gentlydoingit*, I build complex coils that last forever. The coils that are in my RDA right now have been in for around 2 months, and they're still just as good as the day I made them. Just gotta re-wick every now and then. So yeah it saves a ton of money in the long run, but you have to buy all new tanks and wire and cotton and tools. 
04-06-2016 02:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Fatboy (06-04-2016), greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)
greyhoundrick Offline

Likes Given: 74
Thank you Fatboy, bibliora, ecignut, paulS  and Michael. Fantastic information!

I apologize again for my lack of knowledge, but can you tell me what the "mod connection" is? Is that the area where the mod and the tank meet? Thanks

I use a Melo 2 tank and whatever the stock coil head is that came with it. I haven't tried the other two heads they sent me yet. I just looked it up, it is the 0.3 ohm Kanthol. 

I vape about 3x/day and each session is about 10 minutes.

When you start to notice a performance issue would replacing the head/coil be the best thing to do? Where would you buy a Kanthol head and what price would you consider decent? Would it be safe to assume that I would probably be changing heads about 1x/mo. and that heads run between $5-$10?

Thanks again!

rick
04-06-2016 05:03 PM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
You're right, the mod connection just means the connection where the tank meets the mod, also known as the 510 connection. 

3x a day for 10 min, I can't imagine. I vape once a day, for about 10-12 hours. Tongue

At the rate you're vaping, you should be able to get at least a couple weeks from a coil head before replacing, maybe once or twice a month. Coil heads should be around $3-5 each, maybe a bit more but if you have to pay $10 then you're getting ripped off. You can probably buy replacement coils from wherever you bought the tank. Or if you have a B&M vape shop near you, check and see if they have coils for it. Or you can get them online somewhere like FastTech.com, though if you buy from FastTech be aware that their name is a lie and it'll take ages to arrive due to awful shipping. 
04-06-2016 06:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (06-04-2016), BOB (06-05-2016), Fatboy (06-05-2016), gentlydoingit* (06-04-2016), greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)
greyhoundrick Offline

Likes Given: 74
(04-06-2016 06:26 PM)Michael Wrote:  You're right, the mod connection just means the connection where the tank meets the mod, also known as the 510 connection. 

3x a day for 10 min, I can't imagine. I vape once a day, for about 10-12 hours. Tongue

At the rate you're vaping, you should be able to get at least a couple weeks from a coil head before replacing, maybe once or twice a month. Coil heads should be around $3-5 each, maybe a bit more but if you have to pay $10 then you're getting ripped off. You can probably buy replacement coils from wherever you bought the tank. Or if you have a B&M vape shop near you, check and see if they have coils for it. Or you can get them online somewhere like FastTech.com, though if you buy from FastTech be aware that their name is a lie and it'll take ages to arrive due to awful shipping. 
Great stuff Michael! Yeah, I'm sure my vape time will be going up soon! :-)

take care!
04-06-2016 09:41 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes greyhoundrick's post:
Michael (06-04-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,562
(04-06-2016 06:26 PM)Michael Wrote:  3x a day for 10 min, I can't imagine. I vape once a day, for about 10-12 hours. Tongue

I start vaping at approx 05:00 and last pull is at 22:00 or so....I run with all 3 units and switch them around almost hourly.....If it's an office day I will usually use my iStick 100W but if I'm offsite then I tend to use the Aspire and the eLeaf mini as they fit better in my pocket(s) Smile
05-06-2016 03:01 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
greyhoundrick (06-05-2016), Michael (06-05-2016)
phlash Offline

Likes Given: 264
  Pretty much everything has been covered, only thing I might add is try not to drop it. I've broken a few that way and they are not always fixable.
05-06-2016 04:44 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like phlash's post:
Fatboy (06-05-2016), greyhoundrick (06-05-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,562
(05-06-2016 04:44 AM)phlash Wrote:    Pretty much everything has been covered, only thing I might add is try not to drop it. I've broken a few that way and they are not always fixable.

Funny you would say that...my wife has several units and her Kangertech unit has hit the ground several times...on hardwood floors, on concrete, on top of the dogs head (he has a heard head)...those are only the times I know about as it's the only times she's come to me to have a look at it...not working right... Ï dropped it again" - I swear that thing must be made of military grade steel.....I've taken it partially apart several times and it keep coming back to life...
05-06-2016 12:44 PM