Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First time vaping with new iStick
greyhoundrick Offline

Likes Given: 74
First time vaping with new iStick
Hello everyone,

Finally got my first mod as I have been vaping for a short time with a pen. I purchased the iStick 60w tc and set it up tonight with some 50/50 pina colada juice and gave it a shot.

I set it at 20 watts and used the .3 head that came with it (it came with other coils but I haven't tried them yet). 

It was an amazing experience. I now see how these people on YouTube were getting the amount of vapor as the difference between the pen and mod is unreal. 

I want to thank you all for the great information, hospitality and support you've given me. The information you passed on to me was very helpful!

I do have a few questions for you if you don't mind:

1. Since the instructions were very brief I was wondering what type of maintenance or upkeep if you will, I will need to do in order to keep the device in good operating condition. Im pretty lost as to cleaning, changing parts, etc. and would like to know if there is any recommended reading for someone like me who wants to keep their device in good shape.

2. Is it a good idea to let the charge run down before charging or do you folks like to put it on the charger as often as you can?

3. Im not too clear with regard to wattage and airflow. Im sure trial and error is a good teacher. Is that how most of you learned about your settings?

Thanks again for your expertise! Im blown away how much I enjoy this. It is really cool.

best to you,

Rick
03-06-2016 05:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like greyhoundrick's post:
bibliora (06-03-2016), BOB (06-04-2016), Fatboy (06-03-2016), Michael (06-03-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: First time vaping with new iStick
I'd like to know everyone's opinion on maintenance as well.  Curious about airflow too, I'm using my tank wide open.  Am I losing flavor by doing that?
03-06-2016 10:50 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like bibliora's post:
Fatboy (06-03-2016), greyhoundrick (06-03-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,378
Hey rick, I'll try to give some imo answers in order.

1. A wipe a day with a microfiber cloth should be all the cleaning it'll need, with perhaps the odd spray into the charge port with some air duster. It's the 510 connector to keep an eye on, screw some kitchen roll into it once a day to keep it clean and dry.  Same on the atty.

2. Charge as often as you can, although fully depleted should still be above the battery low voltage tolerance it's always a good idea to keep a level of charge in there.

3. Yeah, that's to taste. My airflow is always wide open, though I always use powerful coils.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
03-06-2016 11:20 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Fatboy (06-03-2016), greyhoundrick (06-03-2016), Michael (06-03-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
Usually I clean my mods with just a Kleenex tissue, just clean up any juice that may have spilled on it and like gentlydoingit said, roll it up and clean out the 510 as well. Wattage and airflow partly depend on personal preference, but also partly depend on the tank and coils you're using. Lower resistance coils use more power and require more airflow than higher resistance coils. If your mod shows both watts and volts, try to keep the volts between 3.5V and 4.2V, that's usually the sweet spot for most coils. 
03-06-2016 04:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Fatboy (06-03-2016), greyhoundrick (06-03-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,814
Welcome to TVF Rick. Good questions. I tend to put it on the charger whenever it gets to about 40-50% if I'm able...although i have run it to the point of it totally going blank on me.

I have both the iStick Mini as well as iStick 100W. Tissue or napkin to wipe down the general surface, I do remove the tank once a week and wipe down the tank thread/screw area.

The one thing nobody has mentioned yet is that I remove the tip (mouthpiece) and run a tissue through it...that's the part that appears to require the most cleaning and most often....my wife uses a Q-tip...
03-06-2016 07:52 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
greyhoundrick (06-03-2016), Michael (06-04-2016)
greyhoundrick Offline

Likes Given: 74
Great stuff from you folks as usual!! Thank you bibliora, gentlydoingit*, Michael and Fatboy!

Pardon my lack of knowledge. What is your biggest clue that your coil (head or ??) needs to be changed? Is it the flavor diminishing and/or a burnt taste or ??? Also, what exactly needs to be changed after you start realizing those symptoms?

Is this where re-building comes in? Does it save a lot of money and is it worth it?

If I go thru a coil, head (sorry I don't know the nomenclature) every 3 weeks what would you recommend for a newbie?

Thanks for walking me thru this! I won't forget and hopefully I can help a newbie out some day!

best to all,

rick
03-06-2016 11:55 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like greyhoundrick's post:
BOB (06-04-2016), Fatboy (06-04-2016)
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,814
(03-06-2016 11:55 PM)greyhoundrick Wrote:  Great stuff from you folks as usual!! Thank you bibliora, gentlydoingit*, Michael and Fatboy!
Pardon my lack of knowledge. What is your biggest clue that your coil (head or ??) needs to be changed? Is it the flavor diminishing and/or a burnt taste or ??? Also, what exactly needs to be changed after you start realizing those symptoms?
Is this where re-building comes in? Does it save a lot of money and is it worth it?
If I go thru a coil, head (sorry I don't know the nomenclature) every 3 weeks what would you recommend for a newbie?
Thanks for walking me thru this! I won't forget and hopefully I can help a newbie out some day!
best to all,
rick

Hey Rick, this is the best ever forum because I learn something every day..... as for the coil question, for me there are a few hints I've learned to identify - the unit will slightly leak from the vents; the vape volume decreases; the taste or flavour is decreased or straight juice sucked up....and if I ignore all of that, it eventually stops altogether...I've considered rebuilding coils and may do so one day (I've kept all of the used ones) but at $2-$4 each and replacing them about every 2-3 weeks, my cost analysis (I'm a project manager) validated that the cost of getting the equipment to build my own and the time constraints required to learn and rebuild don't yet justify the need for that project.... Smile
04-06-2016 12:10 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
I know it's time to change the coil when I get a nasty burnt taste.  I haven't noticed the leaking.  Changing about every three weeks is about right, but it all depends on how much you vape.  It seems like most people on this forum build their own coils.  It depends on if you have a rebuildable tank.  I'll let them chime in but it does save money.  Of course there is always the initial start up costs. 
04-06-2016 12:17 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like bibliora's post:
Fatboy (06-04-2016), greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,378
Yeah, like fat boy and bib said bad taste, leaks or even just the juice in the tank going off colour quickly. To be fair it's easy enough to tell when you need to, but replacing them as a matter of course every two to three weeks isn't a bad idea.

As for rebuilding.. I pay about 10p  (~20cents) for a basic coil set, that could last over a month if I re wick it occasionally. Most of my coils are quite elaborate so they cost around £1 (~$1.50) in material and last indefinitely as long as I rewick often enough.
That requires an rta though, normal coil heads like you have can be recoiled, but, it's an art form to get it right to say the least.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
04-06-2016 09:55 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
Fatboy (06-04-2016), greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,354
Hi - one of the early signs of a premade tank coil going is a gurgling noise when you draw. This means that the coil is not coping with the juice like it should. This is when I change coils because once the coil gets to this stage it can start leaking juice through the connecting pin and this is bad news for the mod. If the mod connection well gets flooded it seeps into the electrics and that finishes the mod for good. This is also the part of the mod that needs the most attention - it should be cleaned out at least once a day.
04-06-2016 10:48 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like ecignut's post:
Fatboy (06-05-2016), gentlydoingit* (06-04-2016), greyhoundrick (06-04-2016)