Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fasttech Tugboat Style Mod
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
Fasttech Tugboat Style Mod
Let me preface this review by saying: this is my first review, so please feel free to leave suggestions on how I can improve so that my reviews can be of more use to others looking to purchase the item I have reviewed.

The mod featured in this review can be found here: http://WWW.fasttech.com/products/2065901

Material: This Tugboat clone is machined from an aluminum alloy, which makes the durability a little less than ideal. Being made from aluminum also means that it would be really easy to cross thread the threads on the mod so that is definitely something to take care to avoid. The finish, which I will assume is some sort of powder based paint, feels soft and adds to the comfort of your hand. The finish does, however, seem pretty thin and feels like it would be extremely prone to scratches and dings.

Size: When this mod came in, I had to do a double take. This mod is pretty small and extremely lightweight. It does feel natural in your hand, though, and I really like the smaller and more lightweight size of this mod. I feel that if I accidentally drop the mod I have a better chance of the impact doing less damage than if the mod was heavy and bulky.

Functionality: This part was, literally, my ONLY annoyance with this mod. I had an issue with the fire button getting extremely hot due to incorrect installation by me. To be fair to myself, though, there was not any kind of documentation or warning for this issue. Once I was able to get the button installed correctly, I immediately noticed how nice and secure the firing mechanism really feels. The button itself is the heaviest part of this mod and the magnets in the mechanism do a great job of keeping everything away from each other until the button is pressed. The most concerning thing that I have noticed about the button is that if you turn it while firing the device, re-positioning your finger is the easiest way to do this, it produces sparks from the contact with the metal casing. This is only a concern to me because if your battery were to be leaking gas, the sparks would result in the ignition of the gas. The connector for this mod is a hybrid connector. A hybrid connector means that the atty will be in contact with the battery directly with no firing pin or 510 connector between them. I have had no experience with this type of connector, thus far, so I really can not comment on whether or not this is a pro or a con.

Final Thoughts: All in all, I must say, I am pretty happy with this mod. This is only my second mechanical mod so I am sure that I will discover one that I enjoy more, but anything is better than the mod that I started out on. This mod has nice form, excellent function, and it only cost $9.50, so what is there to really complain about. I wish that it was made of a sturdier material but, as long as you take care of it, it really should not be an issue. Thank you for taking the time to read my review.

UPDATE: I in regards to the button sparking, i have found that putting a small rubber o-ring between the button and the button bolt alleviates this issue.
(This post was last modified: 23-04-2015 03:19 PM by CL0UD_Z3R0.)
23-04-2015 08:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
BOB (04-28-2015), JohnnyMac (04-23-2015), Michael (04-23-2015)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Fasttech Tugboat Style Mod
Good review! Those sparks are a bit worrisome though, you might want to see if there's a way to solve that. I haven't had that problem with any of my mods so I can't tell you how to fix it, but I've seen that on a buddy's before and it's definitely not a good thing. 
Just a quick note on a couple points. Hybrid mods are supposed to be better because there isn't as much between the battery and the atty, so there will be less voltage drop in theory. In practice, I'm not really sure how much difference it makes. I've got a hybrid and I never noticed any difference in it, but perhaps I'm just not attuned to the minute differences. And my other point is that aluminum isn't really the best of materials to use in a mod because it doesn't carry the electricity as well as stainless steel or copper or brass. But as long as it's working for you that's what matters. I have an aluminum Nemesis clone that I don't really like simply because the aluminum makes it feel cheap. I prefer heavier mods, but to each his own. 
23-04-2015 10:22 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
CL0UD_Z3R0 (04-23-2015), JohnnyMac (04-23-2015)
CL0UD_Z3R0 Offline

Likes Given: 119
RE: Fasttech Tugboat Style Mod
I, in no way, prefer it to be aluminum but I, personally, haven't noticed any decrease in performance from my last mech mod. Would definitely prefer something made of better stock but the heft and feel of this lightweight mod is pleasant. I have not noticed any marked difference in the hybrid connector either. Maybe it only makes a difference on the right setup, I'm not sure. I am also doing a full disassembly today in hopes of finding the source of the sparks. I will update if I figure it.
23-04-2015 02:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes CL0UD_Z3R0's post:
Michael (04-23-2015)