Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
FDA deeming regs and August of this year? What..?
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Likes Given: 3,001
RE: FDA deeming regs and August of this year? What..?
(04-06-2016 10:52 PM)keshazel Wrote:  What does this mean for the every day vaper who is not going to make their own juice? Are my vaping days numbered?
I haven't read details of the regulations but here are my assumptions.  Some of the larger juice companies should remain.  It's the small locations shops that make their own juice that will have to stop.  Vaping equipment is different.  The companies that make the mods, tanks, etc, have two years to provide the FDA with required documentation to get approval to sale their equipment.  The testing required for both juice and equipment is extremely expensive and not all companies will be able to afford it.

The large tobacco companies produce the cigalike products such as blu.  They are behind the lobbies that campaigned for these idiotic requirements.  If they can't make money on tobacco, they try making it up with their vaping devices. 

In previous discussions the consensus was to stock up.  I'm going to try and get some bulk juice making products in before the Aug. 8th deadline.  I only think Nic liquid will be a real issue.  If you don't want to make your own juice, you might want to think about stocking up on some of your favorite juices as well.  However, as of this date, I've not seen any announcement on websites that they will stop selling juice.  They possibly won't be putting out new flavors.

You might want to ask your local vape shop about it as they are really the ones who will be effected. 
05-06-2016 01:47 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,440
this is where things get touchy , regulating e-juce can make for safer produc ( ie dyactles will be removed from acceptable aditves ) but on the other hand restricting flavors from being added is a step far . my self i avoid tobacco flavors . a blanket ruling will just force vapers to add flavoring them selves and open a whole new can of worms.

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
05-06-2016 02:04 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chuck-Drl's post:
Fatboy (06-05-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Here's an article about the politics behind the FDA regulation.  http://observer.com/2016/06/hot-air-demo...-industry/
07-06-2016 08:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Fatboy (06-07-2016)
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
What cracks me up is, the equipment can't be regulated.  Sell it saying it's for (insert random perfectly legal substance here] and they can't do shit all about it, unless they intend to ban toasters too...

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
08-06-2016 12:29 AM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

(08-06-2016 12:29 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  What cracks me up is, the equipment can't be regulated.  Sell it saying it's for (insert random perfectly legal substance here] and they can't do shit all about it, unless they intend to ban toasters too...
eliquid seems to be the stuff that being the most regulated.  Will small Mom and Pop shops really go out of business if they can't sell their own juice?  The mark up is incredible as we know.
08-06-2016 01:05 AM
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 11,130
The markup isn't actually that huge when you work out the costs. If it is properly done. Well unless you are one of the more expensive and heavily marketed brands.

By the time you have set up and equipped a clean room and checked origin and actual contents of all your ingredients you are in for a great deal of money.

I worked out the numbers for my usual juice. It costs me £15-16 ($24 or so) a litre to make plus a pound ($1.46) for each mg/ml of nicotine in a litre. Now set up and equip a clean room with suitable testing and protective equipment including a setup that can handle dangerous materials and safely dilute them. That sort of kit is very far from cheap. Now bottle, market and sell it for enough to cover what the premises and equipment are costing you. I'd be looking at about $15 for 20ml in order to make a living and it would probably require hiring staff if you were selling enough to actually make a living.

It's the same problem that restaurants have. The cost of the ingredients is a tiny fraction of the cost of production.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
08-06-2016 12:05 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
BOB (06-09-2016), Michael (06-08-2016)
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

Thanks Don, I wasn't thinking of the overhead.  Hopefully, if small shops have to give up making their own juice, will be able to stay in business.  I was also reading about how these regulation were being challenged within government.  I can see regulating ejuice, but not vaping equipment.
08-06-2016 12:14 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

However, nothing (yet) is stopping us from making our own.

As long as nicotine solutions of reasonable strength as available there should be no insuperable problems involved in making your own.

My flavourings mostly come from a large French company who are primarily in the food flavourings market. Nobody is about to ban those.

VG and PG and sweeteners are produced in gigantic quantities all over the world and have hundreds of uses.

The only potential issue is nicotine but there will be ways round that. Probably not legal ones but...

08-06-2016 06:43 PM
bibliora Offline
Where did I go??

I haven't seen any warnings on the diy juice sites that sell nicotine.  We in the US most likely have a couple of years before it is an issue.  I soon as see "we will stop selling nic on such and such a date"  I'll buy an ungodly or amount, or I'll give up Nic.  I've been stepping down successfully so far.  I can see getting to 0 in two years.
08-06-2016 06:47 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

That happened last month here though it is still legally possible to sell 72mg/ml nicotine in the EU until November and then sell off any "old stock" until next May. Other than that it is only possible to buy 10ml bottles with a maximum concentration of nicotine of 20mg/ml. From next May this will be the only way to buy juice.

I have around 3 litres of 72mg/ml nicotine solution in my freezer - it will last a couple of years at least and I'll be getting more before November.

09-06-2016 08:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
Fatboy (06-09-2016)