Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evic VTC mini + Aromamizer RDTA - Harsh taste
njoytheclash Offline

Likes Given: 0
Evic VTC mini + Aromamizer RDTA - Harsh taste
Dear All!

I'm new to this forums and vaping, well I've been using an iStick mini 10W before for quitting smoking, but took it to a higher lvl since I like vaping.
I just bought an Aromamizer RDTA 3ml and a Joyetech Evic VTC mini mod. I used 26ga + 32ga clapton wire to make a dual coil like in this youtube video 

This is a pic of how it looks in my case:

The problem I'm having is that I find the taste kind of shallow, and also a bit harsh when inhaling deeply. This was when I used 6mg Cherry me up (100%VG) from Millers.. this also tasted a bit burnt. Since I read somewhere that 6mg might be too much for a RDTA.. I tried mixing 0mg RY4 from flavortec (PG45/VG30) with 6mg Lazy Latte Afternoon from Millers (VG50/PG50). Still not much taste, but less harsh and less vapor. 

Can anyone please give me advice on what is best for me if I would like a cloudy vape with little throat hit and lots of flavor?

Thanks in advance,

Mark
15-12-2015 07:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,322
RE: Evic VTC mini + Aromamizer RDTA - Harsh taste
Hey there. Welcome to tvf.
I'd go for any 70/30 juice and turn that coil the right way up! Lol. Bloody rip trippers, law onto himself Tongue

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
15-12-2015 08:31 PM
njoytheclash Offline

Thank you!

So vertically placed is not good either? I tried horizontally before but that was even worse Swoon

How do you suggest I should make the coil? also would a normal wire make a difference?
15-12-2015 09:19 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

I have yet to build one. I'd start by trying 5 wraps on 2.5mm of 24g kanthal, centred and as quite low to the deck. Nice fluffy tails on the wick.
Any type of wire will work, just as soon as you've found a build that works well Wink

15-12-2015 10:38 PM
njoytheclash Offline

I'll try that then, gonna buy some kanthal wire tomorrow! Just tried a single coil but it's also killing me, even at 20w..
I really wonder how all those guys on YT inhale that long, this burns my throat after 2 seconds Confused

Do you think the wire would make a lot of difference?
15-12-2015 11:30 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

The 24g build I suggested is a neutral sort of build, good balance between flavour and vapour, not too hot at lowish watts either. 
Wire is important to me and does make a differnce, (just check out the last few pages of here Wink), but it only comes into play when you've found a build that works, then you can play with different wire types.

16-12-2015 12:05 AM
njoytheclash Offline

Haha you made some awesome coils as I can see!

I understand I have to find a good build first, but for now it feels like its the wire. I tried to build a dual coil of 6 wraps 3 times now and it's the same throat burn all the time. Do you think it could be the clapton wire producing too much heat? 

I checked your suggestion with the steam engine calculator:
24ag kanthal wire 2,5mm diameter 5 wraps on 30watts. This would make the resistance 0.2-0.3ohm.. isn't that too low? On the other side the steam engine calculator states it will be around 110mw/mm2, that's considered a "cool vape" right? Is that how others make such big clouds without burning their throat? Angel

What if I would wrap it 8 times? then it seems to be even coolerGood

*I apologize for all the questions, as you can tell I'm a big noobie to this kind of vaping*
16-12-2015 02:01 AM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
First off - not nearly enough power to that coil, so no surprise on the lack of taste.  The Aromamizer has CRAZY airflow even with only 2 holes open.  If you're gonna run it with both holes wide open, 50 watts is a STARTING point.  If you're getting burnt hits, it's a wicking issue, because you sure aren't burning anything dry with those power levels (3.12 volts?!) on Clapton coils if it's getting juice.

The vertical build that Rip recommends is nowhere NEAR the best way to build the Velocity style Aromamizer deck.  I dunno what he was on, but now that I've had mine for a while I'll say that normal horizontal coils located very low on the deck works best BY FAR. Do NOT over-wick it, regardless of the coil style.  Just enough to tickle the bottom of the deck and not see light through the feed holes.

Also try running slightly thinner juice.  100% VG is THICK, and will not work as well with the bottom feed of this deck.  ESPECIALLY with vertical coils.  Unless you're intolerant of PG, I would recommend 80/20 juice (I have no problems with 80/20 wicking in this thing even at close to 100 watts).

FWIW = as I write this, I'm running dual Claptons - 24 awg wrapped in 30 - 2.5 mm, 4.5 wraps.  .22 total ohms, 84 watts at 4.2 volts on my Sig 100+.  That's the Velocity style deck in an Aromamizer 6ml.  Two hole band, wide open.  It's WONDERFUL.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
(This post was last modified: 16-12-2015 03:46 AM by Almost Jaded.)
16-12-2015 03:45 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
gentlydoingit* (12-16-2015)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

(16-12-2015 02:01 AM)njoytheclash Wrote:   

24ag kanthal wire 2,5mm diameter 5 wraps on 30watts. This would make the resistance 0.2-0.3ohm.. isn't that too low? 

Nah, evic vt will fire at 0.15 in vw mode, .3 will be reet. I'd listen to everything almost jaded said, he's a knowlegable experienced vaper.. and owns the same rta Wink

16-12-2015 09:31 AM
hogwildeffj Offline

Love this tank, i'm running a twisted 24g dual, 7.5 wraps, running it at 55 watts, 3.85 volts, reading at .27ohms, OMG humongous clouds and the taste is phenomenal. Using a 70vg 30pg juice. Charlie Noble's custard to be exact    
16-12-2015 09:50 AM