Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Educate me
kodachrome Offline

Likes Given: 20
Educate me
I became a cook because I find the sense of taste to be the most exotic , and love to please the palette .
This being said ,making my own juice is only a natural interest to me .
One does not blindly throw together food and succeeded ,and the same must apply to juice . .What are the most common blunderers ? What are the most important things to be mindful of?
30-06-2015 12:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,420
RE: Educate me
The first and most important thing would be cleanliness. And sterility - make sure everything is as clean as you can get it. This is more important when you are inhaling the results than when you are eating them.

In general it is probably better to use synthetic flavours than natural ones which may contain oils that are perfectly safe to ingest, but not to inhale.

Think of mixing as like recipes: You put together combinations that sound like they ought to work. Sometimes they don't.

In general terms I tend to start experimenting at around 20% total flavouring because I like very high VG liquids. I almost never add PG other than what the flavourings are dissolved in.

If you prefer a higher PG liquid - I've just had a conversation with someone who uses very low nicotine (3mg) but misses the throat hit so mixes at 60-70% PG. With a mix like that, you do not need as much flavouring as PG carries flavour much better than VG does. 

I have vaped unflavoured 30mg/ml nicotine in PG. All I can say is Don't.

There are a bunch of recipes floating around here. 

To start with it is easiest to get some sort of flavour you like that you can just add to your PG/VG/nicotine  - there are quite a lot of "one shot" concentrates out there. It will usually cost way less than buying the same flavours in a made-up juice.

The simplest way I've found to work out nicotine is to start with the bottle size you are using (Nicotine here cannot be sold to ordinary people at concenrations of more than 75mg/ml - I believe it is 100mg/ml in the US). So if I want 10ml of 24mg/ml juice that needs 10 x 24 milligrams of nicotine. So we have 240mg of nicotine required and we have 72mg/ml nicotine available, we need 240/72ml of the nicotine base = 3.3ml which is as accurate as you need to be (Or can be with affordable measuring kit).

So if I want 100ml of 12mg/ml nicotine I need 1200mg of nicotine in the final result. With 100mg/ml base that is 12ml of nicotine base.

If you are using under 6-10mg/ml nicotine in the final juice then it doesn't matter if you get the nicotine diluted with PG or VG. If you are using higher nicotine levels the stuff that the nicotine is dissolved in will affect your final PG:VG ratio.

As I prefer very high VG liquids I prefer to get my nicotine base dissolved in VG but this is purely a matter of taste.

The most common blunders are getting the sums wrong.

It is a good idea to make 10ml or less test batches to see if you like it. When some of them turn out horrible you have wasted less than you would by making larger batches. I tend to put failed mixes at the back of the steeping cupboard and leave them there till I run out of other juice then try them to see if they have improved. One juice that I'd made a large batch of and found to be horrible became very peasant after 6 months in the steeping cupboard.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
30-06-2015 08:22 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
BOB (07-02-2015), kodachrome (07-01-2015)
kodachrome Offline

Likes Given: 20
RE: Educate me
Thank you Don
very informative and helpful.
02-07-2015 03:16 AM