Poll: Do you intend to quit e-cigs some day?
This poll is closed.
Yes 100.00% 1 100.00%
NO Way! 0% 0 0%
Maybe 0% 0 0%
Total 1 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
E-cigs & quitting
InvivoPpl Offline

Likes Given: 0
E-cigs & quitting
Hello All, 

I've noticed a lot of people on this and many other forums have taken it for granted that vaping and smoking are entirely unrelated, or at least significantly distinct. So you hear a lot of people saying they've quit smoking by vaping. They don't mean they've quit smoking with the help of vaping (as a stepping stone), they clearly are still vaping. 
I realise its now widely believed that nicotine isn't highly addictive by itself (not combined with all the other cigarette chemicals), and I'm sure many here cringe when some nonsmoker scoffs at your e-cig habit as if its just as bad as smoking! My girlfriend used to cough when she walked into a vape clouded room, while she hardly complained about the less visible tobacco smoke! 

So I've quit vaping now and I wonder how many of you here don't subscribe to the theory that vaping is so distinct form smoking, that if you vape you can really consider yourself a true ex-smoker. 

Do you think its fair to say that as a nicotine addict you are still a "smoker"? Do you think its worth quitting your vape based nicotine addiction? And if you don't ever intend to quit now that you are a happy vaper, do you think it has anything to do with the fact that you've found quitting hard in the past (pre-ecigs)? That is, if you where sure it would be painless, how do you think you feel about quitting vaping and being free of a nicotine addiction entirely? 

Thanks for reading, I look forward to your responses. 
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 09:09 PM by InvivoPpl.)
11-09-2016 09:02 PM
Find all posts by this user
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,399
RE: E-cigs & quitting
One has to be careful about language. I'd be very leery of using "addict" when talking about nicotine - that is the language of our enemies.

I am a smoker who prefers to use less harmful than lit tobacco options.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
11-09-2016 09:11 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
BOB (09-11-2016), ecignut (09-11-2016)
Don Offline
Senior Staff

I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking here though. I choose to use nicotine. As I choose to use caffeine and alcohol.

And am utterly sick of the (medical - I know a lot of really, really good folks who work in Public Health. None of them are doctors) lying Public Health establishment. They build lie upon lie and call this evidence.

The plural of "made up story" has never been "evidence".

11-09-2016 09:16 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
BOB (09-11-2016), ecignut (09-11-2016)
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Personal Nicotine Inhalation devices are not necessarily only smoking cessation devices.

I'd read some more before asking more.

11-09-2016 09:18 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
ecignut (09-11-2016)
InvivoPpl Offline

Yes, Sorry Don - that did sound a bit severe. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that when we vape, most of us are really using it as a kind of harm reduction. As far as harm reduction goes, e-cigs are clearly excellent. However, you're still vaping because of an addiction to nicotine - I don't mean you're a junky, but the habit is an addiction nonetheless! 

Surely there is a demand among some vapers like myself to quit the nicotine as well. I'm just trying to gauge the extent of it. 

THanks
11-09-2016 09:19 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,371
Vaping stopped me using cigarettes - nothing else worked. Nicotine use does not bother me - it is no worse than caffeine and I drink a lot of coffee and use a lot of nicotine in my vape and I am a happy chappy[Image: smile.gif].
11-09-2016 09:23 PM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Nah - there is a very big difference between a (probably bad) habit and an addiction.

Nobody I know of is injecting nicotine. Or caffeine.

I work a lot with real addicts. And eating disorders and personality disorders. All of whom "feel" like addicts. Smokers don't.

11-09-2016 09:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
ecignut (09-11-2016)
InvivoPpl Offline

Are we really disputing that smoking and vaping are an addiction?
I'm not saying its a bad addiction or a good one. I'm just acknowledging that when I smoked 20 cigs a day I had no desire to smoke the 20th cigarette, I really wanted to cut down, but on average I could never do it. I enjoyed the first one in the morning but thats mostly because I was so desperate for it. Likewise with vaping. I started by vaping all day, I slowly cut down. It was easier, but each vape I enjoyed (more enjoyable because it was less deadly) was needed - because i needed to feed the nicotine addiction. 

Plenty of people are addicted to coffee too. It doesn't kill them - but its not great if you can't focus until you pour a tone of brown liquid down your throat. 

Surely we can all agree, vaping is an addiction? a very happy one! Smile
(This post was last modified: 11-09-2016 09:31 PM by InvivoPpl.)
11-09-2016 09:30 PM
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 20,371
(11-09-2016 09:30 PM)InvivoPpl Wrote:  Are we really disputing that smoking and vaping are an addiction?
I'm not saying its a bad addiction or a good one. I'm just acknowledging that when I smoked 20 cigs a day I had no desire to smoke the 20th cigarette, I really wanted to cut down, but on average I could never do it. I enjoyed the first one in the morning but thats mostly because I was so desperate for it. Likewise with vaping. I started by vaping all day, I slowly cut down. It was easier, but each vape I enjoyed (more enjoyable because it was less deadly) was needed - because i needed to feed the nicotine addiction. 

Plenty of people are addicted to coffee too. It doesn't kill them - but its not great if you can't focus until you pour a tone of brown liquid down your throat. 

Surely we can all agree, vaping is an addiction? a very happy one! Smile
Sorry but you are wrong and not coming from the right direction on this - to most people I know vaping is a hobby - addiction never enters into it. Even if they do need the nicotine - so what.
11-09-2016 09:40 PM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,057
hi and welcome to TVF
could I ask why you joined a vaping forum since you have quit  vaping Huh

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
11-09-2016 09:45 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BOB's post: