Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
E-Cigarette word is inaccurate
ChicoCanada Offline

Likes Given: 3
RE: E-Cigarette word is inaccurate
(26-02-2016 01:08 AM)TinWhisker Wrote:  I said a while ago that there should be a separate segment of vaping dedicated to smoking cessation, which could be called ecigs. Those would be the cigalike deals that doctors would suggest for quitting. Vaping as we all know it would be "vaping" and wholly separate. Leave us vapologists alone, I say.

I love the idea but I fear that we would end up in the e-cig boat by assimilation.

Cheers
26-02-2016 01:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
ChicoCanada Offline

(26-02-2016 01:05 AM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Ah yes, but your in the realms of an e book not being a book with that one. 

I respectfully disagree. It was simply an analogy to get a point across. An e-book is the same as a paper-back book, only the delivery method is different. Vaping and smoking have partially similar delivery methods, being inhaling as the only one but not the same content. Different ballgames and scopes.

Cheers
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2016 01:19 AM by ChicoCanada.)
26-02-2016 01:16 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,220
Really? One could argue that you only perceive the words and that they are actually just light refracted through electronically controlled crystal. No paper, no smell or texture, diminished interaction.. I could really go on about how dissimilar they are but that'd make my fingers ache.
My point is that there are enough similarities between cigalikes and cigarettes to liken them. I don't think the zorro mask was much of a 'disguise' but it would be called such. 

Besides, it's the digital era. Seems to me there has to be an 'i' or an 'e' before every word for it to be contemporary. 
I believe the term came from the inventor, who's first creations were cigalikes. Likely a very intentional marketing ploy, in line with my first reply.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
26-02-2016 01:53 AM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,220
I will also add that necessity is the mother of invention.. cigalikes were created to give the illusion of normal smoking, giving the user what they craved, a harmless cigarette. It only seems fair they should share a bed.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
26-02-2016 02:04 AM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,068
Hi ChicoCanada welcome to TVF. You make a good point about the name E Cigarette. Everyone involved in vaping advocacy will agree with you as I do, But Han Lik the inventor wasn't bothered about the name it was just a means to an end. The strange thing is he's still a dual user till this day.
As a point of interest Han Lik was beaten to it by Herbert A. Gilbert. in 1963 who filed a patent but nothing come of it because people were less aware or bothered about the health risk of smoking.

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
26-02-2016 05:12 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
gentlydoingit* (02-26-2016)
peter-k Offline

Likes Given: 47
I concur with you, ChicoCanada. I very much think it shouldn't have been called e-"cigarette" to start with. I would even go further and say it is a new recreational hobby, nothing to do with smoking. That it helps some or many smokers to quitt is certainly good. 

The role of nicotine addiction is very much overstated, and the strategie to market it as a smoking cessation device is not a good one. Now we do not need to wonder that it is treated as a tobacco product.
(This post was last modified: 26-02-2016 10:06 AM by peter-k.)
26-02-2016 10:01 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,193
I think it's a double edged sword no matter how you look at it. Had they been marketed as Miniature Fog Machines initially, they'd probably never have gotten the traction to take off in the beginning (look at the first ecigs which never took off)

Regardless of the naming we see and hear now, the public and anti smoke campaigners would have still labelled them as fake cigarettes, electronic cigarettes, cigarette sticks.. etc etc - anything to put a negative social outlook on the product.

Overall though, it makes no difference what they're called.. they're eating into profit for the Big companies and Governments and must be stopped at any cost (ignore the health implications and potential lives saved)

As for them being cessation devices.. that needs no marketing as they are by their very nature cessation devices, because smokers are currently and have been successfully using them to stop smoking Lit Tobacco.   
26-02-2016 10:24 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Spasmod's post:
BOB (02-26-2016), Michael (02-26-2016), Robjenko (02-26-2016), Skyray (02-26-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
I like the idea of vaping as a new hobby rather than a cessation device. That's how you quit bad habits, you replace them with something better. Many folks who attempt to quit smoking will find things to do like chew on a pencil, or some hobby to keep their minds off it. Vaping is the same thing. If they want to regulate vaping as a cessation device, then they'd better regulate pizza too: tomato has nicotine in it, my pizza emits water vapor (steam while it's hot), and I use it when I crave a cigarette, to keep my mind off it. 
26-02-2016 03:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
ChicoCanada (02-26-2016), Skyray (02-26-2016)
ChicoCanada Offline

(26-02-2016 01:53 AM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Really? One could argue that you only perceive the words and that they are actually just light refracted through electronically controlled crystal. No paper, no smell or texture, diminished interaction.. I could really go on about how dissimilar they are but that'd make my fingers ache.
My point is that there are enough similarities between cigalikes and cigarettes to liken them. I don't think the zorro mask was much of a 'disguise' but it would be called such. 

Besides, it's the digital era. Seems to me there has to be an 'i' or an 'e' before every word for it to be contemporary. 
I believe the term came from the inventor, who's first creations were cigalikes. Likely a very intentional marketing ploy, in line with my first reply.

I love a healthy debate and I encourage it.

Cigalikes (the ones that look like cigarettes with the LED on the tip) and cigarettes as for appearance, mods don't. Cigalike was patented in the early 60s, times have changed quite a bit and people have also. They use to run commercials on TV saying that most doctors smoke Camel.

Cheers
26-02-2016 10:00 PM
KingJohn Offline
On finer pastures

Likes Given: 29
Well love it or hate it the name is here to stay for a very long time.
27-02-2016 02:01 AM