Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dual build
Lautreq Offline

Likes Given: 0
Dual build
Alright so I’m a whole new beginner with rda’s And such, so I have a prebuilt Ailen Clapton Coils and it says on the label it’s a .45 ohm so does that mean one coil is .45? And if I put two of these coils on a dual build the ohm on my Drag should read .22 - .24ohms?
28-04-2019 04:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Online
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 13,859
RE: Dual build
You got it.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
28-04-2019 05:45 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Don's post:
TinWhisker (04-28-2019)
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 23,240
Mind that there are tolerances for the wire and the chipset too, so you may not see exactly half the resistance.
28-04-2019 04:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Don (04-28-2019)
Lautreq Offline

(28-04-2019 04:46 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Mind that there are tolerances for the wire and the chipset too, so you may not see exactly half the resistance.
I get that but my Drag reads it as .24ohms and the mod itself gets hot. So does that mean I have to keep looking for hotspots?
28-04-2019 06:24 PM
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Well, the mod will get hot, a resistance that low will pull a decent amount of amps and the cells will make the mod hot. The heat from the coils will make the atty hot as well. The faster you use it between draws, the hotter it will get because 'chain vaping' doesn't allow the bits to shake off the residual heat. Of course, it really shouldn't get like roasting hot to the touch (that would be a bad sign). But it can get uncomfortable.

Describe 'looking for hotspots' if you would please. Hotspots as I understand them are ferreted out during the installation of the new coils. You mount them, then glow them lightly to ensure they are both heating from center out, and at the same time. Wherever they glow that is not evenly and center out are called hotspots, and need to be corrected prior to finalizing the build. Once that is done, the cotton can be fed and the juice applied, and off you go.
28-04-2019 06:32 PM
Lautreq Offline

(28-04-2019 06:32 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Well, the mod will get hot, a resistance that low will pull a decent amount of amps and the cells will make the mod hot. The heat from the coils will make the atty hot as well. The faster you use it between draws, the hotter it will get because 'chain vaping' doesn't allow the bits to shake off the residual heat. Of course, it really shouldn't get like roasting hot to the touch (that would be a bad sign). But it can get uncomfortable.
Describe 'looking for hotspots' if you would please. Hotspots as I understand them are ferreted out during the installation of the new coils. You mount them, then glow them lightly to ensure they are both heating from center out, and at the same time. Wherever they glow that is not evenly and center out are called hotspots, and need to be corrected prior to finalizing the build. Once that is done, the cotton can be fed and the juice applied, and off you go.
Another question chief, what if one coil gets more hotter than the other? They’re not evenly heating up? What do I do for both of them to get evenly powered?
28-04-2019 07:44 PM
TinWhisker Online
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

I'm not a chief but thanks for the promotion. I do have Native American blood in my body so that's a compliment I suppose.

First off, the coils need to be very close to the same resistance. Mount them as similarly as possible, i.e. spacing and leg length. Make sure all post screws are tight. Pulse the mod once or twice so it gets a reading of the new build. Then hit it long enough to glow the coils. If one heats up before the other, 'guitar strum' it or squeeze it a little to jostle the coil winds a bit. Let it cool and glow it again. Eventually, assuming the resistance is similar enough, you will get them glowing center-out together. You can work the coils while firing if you have a ceramic tipped tweezers, otherwise you can't fire it while tweezing because the metal will short. You'll get there eventually. Lots of DIY YouTube's out there to visualize the process.
28-04-2019 07:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Don (04-28-2019)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,596
(28-04-2019 06:24 PM)Lautreq Wrote:  
(28-04-2019 04:46 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Mind that there are tolerances for the wire and the chipset too, so you may not see exactly half the resistance.
I get that but my Drag reads it as .24ohms and the mod itself gets hot. So does that mean I have to keep looking for hotspots?

At .24 from a pair of .45 coils I doubt you have any hot spots. A 'hot spot' would be making a short on the coil and reduce its resistance by a noticeable margin. 
Mod getting hot.. what kind of wattage are you using and what batteries?

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
28-04-2019 11:43 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
TinWhisker (04-29-2019)