Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Dripping advice for a beginner
lung_flooder_lindsey Offline

Likes Given: 8
Dripping advice for a beginner
Hey everyone! New to this site, just signed up because I have loads of questions! I'm fairly new to the vaping community. I purchased a 20w eLeaf and an aspire nautilus about a month ago all because I wanted to quit smoking. So far it's helped a lot. Turns out I love blowing clouds and want to expand my vaping experience! When I first got my set up I really liked it, but lately I've been having issues with it. The pull is a lot harder than it used to be and I can barely taste any flavors when vaping out of it. I'm convinced it's my set up because I have used other people's mods (one the exact same) with no problem. I'm waiting on a CF subohm mod and Atlantis tank to arrive in the mail. But I also want to start dripping. Any suggestions for mods and atty's for a beginner? I love blowing huge thick clouds and I really want something that's going to give me a burst of flavor. Thanks guys, glad to be a part of such an awesome community!
03-04-2015 01:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Dripping advice for a beginner
Welcome to the forum! I could go on all day about which mods and atties are best, but to make a long story short: Dark Horse RDA and Sigelei-100W. the Dark Horse is by far the best RDA I've ever tried, it's easy to build and has tons of airflow options and everything about it is perfect. The Sigelei-100W is a dual 18650 box mod that will absolutely blow you away, it can handle pretty much any build you put on it and it's adjustable so you can choose how much power to use. 
03-04-2015 04:43 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 769
Personally I really really like my Magma RDA. Bottom air flow is the way to go in my opinion. That, and the thew hole posts are easy to build on. It has a big juice well on it so I am not dripping all the time too. 
Though to be honest, I have not tried much of the newer RDAs. But I think it is still a very good one for flavor and vapor, and definitely worth a try

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
03-04-2015 05:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pulsar's post:
BOB (04-03-2015)
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,021
Welcome to TVF Lindsey, it's nice to meet you!

My advice would be to avoid the cloud chasing atties for now and go for a flavour atty like the Veritas, the Magma, the Marquis or the Aeolus since you can get some decent clouds without going too crazy with sub-ohms and still get a warm flavoursome vape.

I'd start with 28G wire but get in some 26G or even some 24G and slowly work your way towards using the thicker wire. The CF sub-ohm mod will do well for you for your RDA definitely. Drinks
03-04-2015 06:06 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Spasmod's post:
BOB (04-03-2015), Michael (04-03-2015)

Thank you all for your response! I'll look into it the next time I visit my local shop. Any more advice you may have on my issues with the nautilus and istick?
03-04-2015 09:38 PM
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I don't mean to be insulting if this is something you've already done, but since you're pretty new to vaping I have to ask, have you changed the coil recently? A gunked up coil can wreak havoc with your airflow and the taste of your vape. 
03-04-2015 10:02 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Yes I've changed the coil multiple times. The coils that came with the tank seemed to have worked the best. The coil I'm currently using is about 4 days old and I rarely use my mod because the taste is so unpleasant. I've tried varying the voltage from highest to lowest. I'm running at about 3.6v and 6w right now, but the flavor is still almost next to nothing. When I was running higher wattage I was getting a lot of dry hits, lower wattage seemed to fix that problem. 

The drag is also a lot harder than what it was when I first got it. I've messed around with it quite a bit, experimenting with loosening the tank, etc. I always have it on the highest air flow because that seems to make it easier to hit. It's also reading my 1.8 ohm coils as 2.0-2.2? Don't know if that makes a difference but that's the first time it's done that. 
(This post was last modified: 03-04-2015 11:30 PM by lung_flooder_lindsey.)
03-04-2015 10:53 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes lung_flooder_lindsey's post:
Spasmod (04-04-2015)
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Lindsey, there are a couple things that are probably effecting your Nautilus' performance. With an older, more traditional, BCC like the Nautilus you really can't do much more than 7W-9W with them to start with and that is with a thinner high PG juice in them. IMO something like the Nautilus is best used on an Ego type battery.

If you are using a higher quality, higher VG juice you will definitely have issues with flavor at usable wattage and with dry hits at the higher wattages. My guess is your juice is a high VG mix which will have a thicker viscosity than a juice with more PG. In a typical BCC the wicking can't keep up with VG juice at anything over 6-7W if at all. Since VG doesn't carry as much flavor as PG does you will see the lack of flavor at lower wattages.

Once you get your Atlantis you will see a huge difference and your good, cloud chasing juices will work great! Just keep counting the days until it arrives. In the meantime you could try thinning out your juice with a little Vodka (no more than 5% of the total juice mix) and your Nautilus will have an easier time keeping up with things.
04-04-2015 12:05 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like JohnnyMac's post:
lung_flooder_lindsey (04-04-2015), Michael (04-04-2015), Spasmod (04-04-2015)
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
Generally, when draw on a Nautilus tightens...it's time to change coils.  If you're using a new coil and still having a hard draw, there could be juice in the airway...you can remove the coil, and rinse it thoroughly with hot water and set it out to dry.  If it's still tight, the air holes can be drilled out.

As far as RDAs...Dark Horse, Mutation X V3, Freakshow, Troll, Royal Hunter, Vulcan, or Airek...they're all great RDAs and range in price from $40-120. 

Mods is a big thing right now.  The biggest question is how low do you want to build your coils and how much power do you want to use? 

I have 5 mods that I use (with another custom box on the way).  Currently I have a Hellboy Telescoping Hybrid tube mod, a wood box I built, an IPV Mini, IPV 3, and a custom built triple 26650 parallel box.  It's all about personal preference.  What do YOU want?  Though, I wouldn't recommend any clone mods...too many issues with venting batteries due to cheap connection materials.
04-04-2015 03:43 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nihilum's post:
lung_flooder_lindsey (04-04-2015)

Just thought I'd give y'all an update. Went to my local shop last night and they set me up with a SMPL mod and a Troll RDA. Got a 26g dual coil build on the baby. A simplistic start but perfect for my needs. Love it!! Happy Easter!
05-04-2015 04:24 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like lung_flooder_lindsey's post:
BOB (04-06-2015), Don (04-05-2015), JohnnyMac (04-05-2015), Michael (04-05-2015)