Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DIY Help!!
Trevorjones264 Offline

Likes Given: 0
DIY Help!!
 Hi guys I am new to the forums but I need some help with my diy altoids box mod. I have wired everything up including a mosfet and button from radio shack and a top cap from a Manhattan mech mod. I used all copper wire I had lying around so i dont know the exact gauge but id guess like 18 gauge. I threw in the battery and...... No fire. Ive checked all my connections and even re-soildered the mosfet. Still nothing. I used a volt meter and touched the positive to the copper connection on the 510 and the negative to the negative side of the battery tray and i get a reading. I dont know whats wrong. Heres the links to the parts used. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED 
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/mosfet-...afcqYpHbCQ
http://comingsoon.radioshack.com/momenta...afeY4pHbCQ

[img]webkit-fake-url://a1bb041c-23d5-423f-8f6b-da564cb4287d/imagejpeg[/img]
(This post was last modified: 16-07-2015 04:43 PM by Trevorjones264.)
16-07-2015 04:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
RE: DIY Help!!
hi Trevor welcome to TVF
I am no expert but what I do when I make a pipe is set the volt meter to ohms touch one one of the multi meter connectors to the centre pin of the 510 and the other to the outside of the 510(the threaded bit)
if you get a reading there is a short on the 510 connector
next I swap the multimeter to volts and do the same again while pressing the fire button
you should get a reading between about 3 and 4 v depending on how much charge your battery has
it could be something as simple as your atomizer not connecting with the centre pin on the 510
this method was just a way I figured out myself so there is probably a lot easier way to do it Blush

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
16-07-2015 05:33 PM
Trevorjones264 Offline

(16-07-2015 05:33 PM)BOB Wrote:  hi Trevor welcome to TVF
I am no expert but what I do when I make a pipe is set the volt meter to ohms touch one one of the multi meter connectors to the centre pin of the 510 and the other to the outside of the 510(the threaded bit)
if you get a reading there is a short on the 510 connector
next I swap the multimeter to volts and do the same again while pressing the fire button
you should get a reading between about 3 and 4 v depending on how much charge your battery has
it could be something as simple as your atomizer not connecting with the centre pin on the 510
this method was just a way I figured out myself so there is probably a lot easier way to do it Blush
Thanks for the help Bob. I tried both of your suggestions and Im getting no readings on any of them. Could it be a bad connection on the ground wire to the outside of the 510? if I put my atty on and touch the negative on the battery sled and the positive post on my atty I get a reading but it only lasts for a second then is goes away.
16-07-2015 05:59 PM
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
it could be a bad connection to the 510 or maybe a duff switch
hopefully one of the clever guys will be along shortly to help you out Good

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
17-07-2015 05:36 AM
Trevorjones264 Offline

I think it might be a problem with the switch. It seems to be pretty poor quality so im going to touch the 2 switch wires together to see if it fires.
17-07-2015 11:00 PM
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 3,501
hard to say without hands on . looking at revews for the switch you used and see a lot of unhappy customers . otherwise check to see all cotacts are solid . scuffing the tin under the 510 will help too.

"The further back you look , the further ahead you can see " Winston Churchill
(This post was last modified: 18-07-2015 12:53 AM by Chuck-Drl.)
18-07-2015 12:51 AM