Cowboy Menthol - Real Extracts
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,354
Cowboy Menthol - Real Extracts
[Image: Cowboy%20Menthol_zpsnqe2gofl.png]

Name: Cowboy Menthol
Brand: Real Extracts
Description: CowBoy Menthol is the same classic blend of American tobaccos with the addition of a light cool menthol. The menthol is mid level strength - most similar to a Salem as opposed to a Newport. The tobacco is still dominant with the mint in the background. It is not an "in your face" menthol. It is a soft refreshing subtle mint flavor - almost an aftertaste.
Where to Find It: Cowboy Menthol

A note before we begin: Cowboy Menthol is a 70PG/30VG juice. Since this is a high PG blend, I decided to test it in my Nautilus Mini instead of the SubTank Nano I used for my last review. It seems unfair to use a tank designed for high VG juice when reviewing one with high PG, as it will inherently create less vapor and stronger throat hits than a high VG juice would. I'm also using my Sigelei-100W for this review, because my iStick has a short. I've been using it at around 11-15W, and I've found that my sweet spot is around 12W with the 1.8 ohm coils.

Flavor: Cowboy Menthol is, in a word, spectacular. The flavor is spot-on, exactly as you would expect from a menthol cigarette e-liquid. The menthol is definitely the predominant flavor, and it is the first thing I noticed when I tasted this juice, but it's not overpowering. I can definitely make out the tobacco undertones throughout. On the inhale, it tastes similar to breathing in with a mint in your mouth, a nice strong peppermint flavor with very subtle hints of tobacco. The tobacco comes out a bit more upon exhaling, but it leaft me with a fresh minty aftertaste. It's extrememly close to the taste of an actual menthol cigarette, except without the ashy flavor. More like a combination of the smell of a cigarette, with the taste of a peppermint. This is by far my favorite menthol e-liquid out of the scores that I've tried. I gave it 4/5 simply because the description said it would be mostly tobacco with a lighter mint flavor, but honestly I'm very glad that the description was wrong, because this is absolutely perfect the way it is.

Vapor: The vapor production of this juice actually surprised me. It created bigger clouds than I was expecting from my mouth-to-lung hits on my Nautilus Mini. The last time I tried a menthol tobacco juice, I was using a ProTank 2 on an MVP 2.0, which might contribute to my somewhat negative stigma toward higher PG blends. In the rating below, I use an objective rating system with vapor production ranging from cigalikes to cloud chasers, so 4/5 is actually very high considering this is in a clearomizer.

Throat Hit: The throat hit on this juice was absolutely perfect in my opinion. It was a bit smoother than an actual menthol cigarette, and I think the menthol really helped to make it even smoother than you might expect. 

Nicotine Strength: As stated in my previous review, 12mg seems to be my sweet spot for this brand of juice. Just enough hit to feel nice, but not enough to make me feel light-headed. If you're a smoker trying to quit, you might want to get the 18mg since 12mg feels a bit weaker than cigarettes, but for someone like me, regularly using 3-6mg in an RDA, the 12mg is perfect.

Viscosity: This is a very thin juice, as are all that I've seen from Real Extracts. The reason for this is simple: these juices are all about flavor, cloud chasing be damned. Though I usually much prefer high VG juice, this was actually a nice break from the clouds. It feels a lot more like smoking an analog cigarette, which in this case is a very good thing. Every now and then I still crave a cigarette, and now I have a juice that will satisfy that craving. 

Other Notes: Overall, Cowboy Menthol is one of my new favorite juices. I received this juice as a free sample from Evan at Real Extracts for review, and to be honest I doubt if I would have bought it due to its relatively high price tag compared to my usual all-day juice. But after tasting it, I can tell this is a very high quality premium e-liquid and I will definitely be ordering more when I run out. I usually switch back to my usual Custard after I finish writing a review of a new juice, but I'm still vaping this as I write and I have a feeling it's going to be hard to put this down and test the next juice for review. If you like menthol cigarettes, or just minty juice in general, I highly recommend you try this one out. 

Ratings:
Flavor: 4/5
Vapor: 4/5
Throat Hit: 5/5
Overall: 13/15 - 87%

[/b]

A note on my ratings:
When rating flavor, I judge the juice based on the description provided by the manufacturer. Does the juice taste like it's supposed to? Does it smell like it's supposed to? This also encompasses the quality of the flavor. For example, if I'm testing two cherry flavors and one tastes exactly like cherry cough syrup while the other tastes like a black cherry from the fresh produce aisle at the market, the fresh tasting one will get a higher rating.
When rating vapor production, I'm focusing on how much vapor is produced and how thick the clouds are. An example of "1/5" rating would be a Blu cigalike, while a "5/5" rating would be my local shop's 98%VG juice, since it produces the thickest clouds I've ever experienced. 
When rating throat hit, it's all about balance. Too much throat hit will give a lower rating, but too little throat hit will give a lower rating as well. My perfect "5/5" in throat hit is a juice that I can feel in my throat and is slightly rough, but pleasantly so, without giving me a sore throat (too much) or feeling like a drink of water (too little).
The overall rating is the sum total of the three rating categories, followed by a percentage out of 100, with 100% being a perfect vape. This review is somewhat based on my opinion, and everyone's taste is different.

15-04-2015 04:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
Oh, where have I gone off to...

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Cowboy Menthol - Real Extracts
I talked to Evan yesterday, and he told me that the juice I got had been steeping for about 14 months, and that's why the menthol had gotten so strong while the tobacco took a lighter tone. So I'd expect if you purchased this juice it would be a bit closer to the description, mostly tobacco with a touch of menthol. Guess I'll have to stockpile it so I can let it steep! Smile 
16-04-2015 07:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply