Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Complete novice need basic help TIA
MrPeanutButter Offline

Likes Given: 8
Complete novice need basic help TIA
So yeah, I’m a complete novice I have no idea what I’m doing here. I’m pretty overwhelmed with all of the options. I am trying to stop smoking and I’ve seen a lot of people have success with vaping and thought I would give it a try. Not only were they having success, but many seemed to enjoy it. That said, I don’t know where to start. I have browsed the interwebz In search of knowledge yet I’ve only been overloaded and completely deluged with the possibilities. A friend at work recommended that I try a JUUL Starter pack that comes with five cartridges while another recommended an Njoy e-cig starter pack with the E liquid.

Having said that, much of what I’ve read frown on both. So would you say that either person gave me good information or should I look elsewhere? If I should look elsewhere, where is elsewhere? LOL I really just want something that has the potential to replicate the feeling of a cigarette without needing to be a rocket scientist/chemist to inhale nicotine.

With that said, I’m glad to be a new member here and will start reading up and hopefully be able to contribute here in the future as I get acquainted with the subject.. In the meantime, where would you point a rookie like me? Thank you so much in advance!
11-10-2017 07:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 8,381
RE: Complete novice need basic help TIA
Hi and welcome MrPeanutButter!

Something like the JUUL is a good place to start. People here who have used lots of other devices find the JUUL useful.

Hopefully someone will be along soon who can advise on what's currently available. Very little of my gear is recent.

One recommendation would be not to only use tobacco flavours, none of them are anything like the experience of burning tobacco.

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
11-10-2017 07:41 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (10-15-2017), MrPeanutButter (10-14-2017)
Fatboy Online
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,276
Welcome to TVF MrP.

Yes, it can be overwhelming as a newbie when trying to find "the right gear". Most people start with a vape pen - myself I used the ASPIRE CF with the Nautilus tank....I was a 35 year smoker and as soon as I started with it, I became a non-smoker! Smile Been 19 months now. Smile

I would suggest if you have a local vape shop, they could and would show you the different starter kits and available choices. If online, it can be info overload however check out some of our supporting vendors, simply do a search for "starter kits".

MOST of us started with such kits but quickly moved onto more advanced but still very reasonably priced gear such as the eLeaf PICO, STICK V8, SMOK AL85, Vaporesso TAROT NANO, Kanger CUPTI and Vaporesso Target Mini to name a few.
11-10-2017 07:55 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Fatboy's post:
TinWhisker Offline
Hello World
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,853
From what I've heard, JUUL pods are a great first toe in the water device for vaping. And Don's right; there are multi-year vape veterans that use JUUL's for convenience and stealth in addition to highly advanced gear. If I wasn't a big cheapskate I would have JUUL setups too.

Welcome. Stay here, ask absolutely anything and everything until you have a complete understanding and comfort level. Vaping is awesome, and even more so since it has helped most of us here retire cigarettes permanently.
11-10-2017 08:13 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
paulS Offline
Toodle Club Billet Box Boy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,871
And some started with Provaris and Dicodes and DNA30s. You can buy high end and low end gear suitable for a newbie. If you invest in high end gear it will be good for years and always maintain value. Don still uses my old Provari! My old Reos were sold in a micro second. Eddie has used some of my old attys.

So I would say first determine your budget. Then maybe we can help a bit more.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
11-10-2017 08:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes paulS's post:
MrPeanutButter (10-14-2017)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 8,381
Just for you Paul Smile

[Image: 37383577920_7b52b1e7ea_b.jpg]

Thanks!

TVF tested battery info to be found here

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
11-10-2017 08:28 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
ecignut (10-15-2017), Fatboy (10-12-2017), paulS (10-11-2017)
8Melissa1 Online

Likes Given: 38
hi and welcome 
I would as don suggested stay away from tobacco flavors, for me they were trouble.
12-10-2017 03:01 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 8Melissa1's post:
Robjenko Offline
Squonk Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 1,359
Hi MrPeanutButter Welcome to TVF... Listen to Don Smile

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
12-10-2017 07:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
mike.williams Offline
TVF Veteran
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 1,468
Hello and welcome to TVF. My experience was a bit different because I went straight into subohm. It was still a low end mod, can't even remember the name now was Smok and similar to the V8, but I had already quit smoking and was trying to drop the smokeless tobacco habit. So I didn't need the cigarette feel.

I have heard lots of good things about the juul and as was said above some of our members use them.

Keep Calm and Vape On!
12-10-2017 12:16 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like mike.williams's post:
Fatboy (10-12-2017), MrPeanutButter (10-14-2017)
MrPeanutButter Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sorry guys, I’d have responded sooner but work/fam taking all my attention. I found a local Vape-Shop and Will get there one day this week. That was a great idea Fatboy and I appreciate it. I didn’t realize by being vaping was so damn intricate! ????

The Questions that I still have is:

Roughly how much should I expect to spend at the Vape store for some good gear? Assuming I’m just buying starter kit pieces.

The biggest question I have is a personal preference one: So everyone here said to try different flavors than just regular tobacco. Any beloved flavors or personal ones you guys suggest? Specific company? You guys are correct here too, picking flavors is like being a kid in the cereal aisle. Further, that kid has never eaten cereal in his life! Worse still, he’s only supposed to buy two boxes! But everything looks so damn good and there’s a million options!

Oh, and speaking of cereal, I even seen cereal flavors like Froot Loops and Fruity Pebble’s in the options. ????

Do you recommend the Vape pen over the cartridge style? There is a difference correct?

The only other question I have is this: is there a place on here that I can make a donation to? I will go look and look for myself once I finish this post. But if I am asking in the expectations I can’t.

Anyhow, thanks everyone and I will let you know about my Vape-Shop experience when I go one day this week. Like some of you, after three decades of Marlboro’s I cannot wait to kick the habit. Moreover, I’m excited to find myself a new relaxing hobby. You guys rock! ????
14-10-2017 12:44 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPeanutButter's post:
mike.williams (10-16-2017)