Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coil building help
Neesmith21 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Coil building help
Hey I am pretty new to building my own coils but have gotten bored building regular coils out of either 22g kanthal or premade fused Clapton I have. What are some cool build to do for great flavor. Any suggestions or tips and tricks are welcome

Also I use a kooper primus 300w with a smok tfv8
Sometimes I use my wismec theorem
03-12-2016 03:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Coil building help
I pretty much only build fused claptons these days, unless I just really want to waste time making something pretty. In my opinion they're easy to build once you've practiced a bit and they've got great flavor and big clouds. Any coils that might have better flavor aren't worth the effort to build regularly in my opinion. 

What gauges of wire do you have to work with? You could do twisted wire, or make your own fused claptons rather than using the pre-made, or try SS if you're using kanthal, or go all-out and build a stapled fused helix or something crazy like that. 
03-12-2016 04:11 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (12-03-2016), Fatboy (12-03-2016), Kaindog (07-10-2017)
Neesmith21 Offline

Right now I only have 22g and the premade fused clapton. Last night I took two pieces of the clapton and twisted them but I haven't done anything with it yet. One of my buddy's said he made some fused clapton with a twisted core. Any advantages to that?
03-12-2016 04:19 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Not really. It's an interesting coil to make, a bit harder than a normal fused clapton since the core is twisted so it's a bit more difficult to wrap, but it doesn't really affect the flavor. I sometimes like to make fused claptons with a twisted wrap wire, that's actually fairly easy and does affect the flavor. Take about twenty feet of 38ga and fold it in half and twist it with a drill until it's pretty tight, then use that to wrap a dual 24ga core. It needs to be very thin wire for the wrap though, that's why I suggest 38ga.
03-12-2016 04:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Neesmith21 Offline

So what's the best way wrap a fused clapton?
03-12-2016 04:31 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,299
Good morning Neesmith, as I was reading your question I was thinking of a dual twisted....22g twisted dual nine wraps with 3.25 id should come in about 0.15 ohms.

What ohms were you looking to built at?
03-12-2016 04:32 PM
Neesmith21 Offline

What I have been building had been coming out around .3 to .2 ohms 
03-12-2016 04:35 PM
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 19,299
Give the twisted dual core 22g a shot - you can them wrap them with a 32g+ claptons...dozens of youtube videos on simple clapton wrapping....

A few weeks ago I built a dual core 26g twisted 3.5 id simple 9 wrap that came in at 0.42 ohms...on the Indestructible RDA the flavour and cloudz are amazing - I have another strand that I will wrap 34g on and compare - I found that as long as I label the core wire, when I have my drill and tools out I tend to make several strands of wire, even if not to wrap at that time - makes for a much easier and quicker build when I sit down to wrap a few coils...
03-12-2016 05:15 PM
Neesmith21 Offline

Here is another question...a few days ago I made a twisted 24g duel coil for my tfv8 and it tasted burnt. I tried the same exact build in my theorem and it tasted great...why would the same build do that???
03-12-2016 05:24 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

(03-12-2016 04:31 PM)Neesmith21 Wrote:  So what's the best way wrap a fused clapton?

Take a strand of whatever gauge you want for the core. The strand should be twice as long as you want the coils to be. So if you're making a dual coil build, make the strand about twenty inches long. Then fold it in half so it's a big loop. Twist the ends together and put the ends into the tip of a drill. Also put the end of your wrap wire into the drill too. Then clamp it down and start turning the drill slowly to start, then once you've started wrapping it you can speed up if you feel comfortable. If you mess up, just reverse the drill and undo a few wraps. If you have any swivels, like the kind used for fishing, that can help too because you can put the loop through a swivel and then anchor the swivel to something which helps keep it all neater in line. Like Fatboy said, there are lots of YouTube videos out there to show you what I'm talking about. 

As for the TFV8/Theorem thing... We're you using it at the same wattage? Did you wick the coil exactly the same? If the answer is "yes" to both of those, then it's likely that the TFV8 isn't wicking fast enough for some reason, maybe smaller juice flow holes on the deck. Or you may have accidentally put a bit more wick in the TFV8 build, restricting juice flow, or even too little wick which would also limit how quickly the juice can absorb to reach the coils. Wicking is a tricky business. 
03-12-2016 06:03 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
Fatboy (12-03-2016), Nitros (12-03-2016)