Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Coil Building - Beyond the simple.
CloudChaser Offline

Likes Given: 3
RE: Coil Building - Beyond the simple.
(19-09-2015 09:56 AM)Don Wrote:  I must say I don't really feel the need for fancy coils. There are some real work of art coils out there but I'm dubious if they actually improve the vape.
I agree, there are some that are crazy intense and take real talent to build. I'm still on the basic builds. I did a single coil with 22g kanthal at .4 ohms and then I did a parallel coil with 26g kanthal at .3 ohms. The parallel is way better. I don't get any spit back like i did on the single coil. 
19-09-2015 12:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Unit562 Offline

Likes Given: 2
(19-09-2015 12:38 PM)CloudChaser Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 07:36 PM)Unit562 Wrote:  
(18-09-2015 11:38 AM)CloudChaser Wrote:  I don't know much about advanced coils, as I am a newb as well. But from the picture you posted it looks like you've got a good build. What gauge wire did you use and what's your ohms reading at?

The wire is 24g, and I'll find out the ohm's today. My ohm reader decided to crap out on me last night in the middle of building :/ If I tighten it down a few turns before tight it reads 0.14 though, any further than that and it reads 0.02, even on my tank that's at 0.5
You want your screws tightened down as far as they will go to tight. Don't get a torque wrench out or nothing, but in order to get an accurate reading and the best connection for electricity flow everything needs to be tight. 
It has nothing to do with the wires on the RDA, it's the ohm meter it self. If I wanted to I could take it apart and re build it, but for a $20 meter that's a waste of time. 
21-09-2015 06:29 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
I've built some cool claptons, a caterpillar version, and my quad-micro-coil build on the Sub mini RDA.  Some of my former coworkers have made some that are works of art; braided multi-strand 32 awg that looks like lace and more.  Sheer insanity, but the workmanship was incredible.

At teh end of the day, a single coil still vapes the best, possible exception being a really good clapton.  Claptons just wick juice so well.  I don't have the patience to make them very often though.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
22-09-2015 02:20 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Almost Jaded's post:
Unit562 (09-22-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
(18-09-2015 11:38 AM)CloudChaser Wrote:  I don't know much about advanced coils, as I am a newb as well. But from the picture you posted it looks like you've got a good build. What gauge wire did you use and what's your ohms reading at?

The wire is 24g, and I'll find out the ohm's today. My ohm reader decided to crap out on me last night in the middle of building :/ If I tighten it down a few turns before tight it reads 0.14 though, any further than that and it reads 0.02, even on my tank that's at 0.5
You want your screws tightened down as far as they will go to tight. Don't get a torque wrench out or nothing, but in order to get an accurate reading and the best connection for electricity flow everything needs to be tight. 

Unit. Welcome Friend Hi I must say, those are nice looking coils. Parallel too. I have watched Ripp Trippers make about 10 different coils. I just don't have the patience. I stuck with his macro coil. Use it on all my RDA's. 20 gauge kanthal wrapped 4 times around a 3mm shaft. Keeps me right in the .07 to .09 ohm range.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
22-09-2015 07:22 PM
Chuck-Drl Offline
Resident Wiseguy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 4,572
been looking at rda's as of late . i have a gift for working with the small and tedious , so coils are rite up my alley .i've spent several hours watching vids on coil builds ,in some cases multiple vids on the same coil build . i have alredy built a twisted coil for a friends rda looked sweet and he likes the vape. my interest however is leaning twards the dragon coil, or perhaps a twisted dragon coil.

Dogs have owners , Cats have staff .
23-09-2015 01:53 AM
DuckysVapeReviews Offline

Likes Given: 7
I got a handful of insane builds I have yet to put into my rdas. Thing about working with ni80 is, it lasts a good while before needing replacing. Soon as I get a better cam, I will upload some pix and how to step by steps.
25-09-2015 09:05 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

(23-09-2015 01:53 AM)Chuck-Drl Wrote:  been looking at rda's as of late . i have a gift for working with the small and tedious , so coils are rite up my alley .i've spent several hours watching vids on coil builds ,in some cases multiple vids on the same coil build . i have alredy built a twisted coil for a friends rda looked sweet and he likes the vape. my interest however is leaning twards the dragon coil, or perhaps a twisted dragon coil.

From my personal experience, dragon coils dry out fast and burn up cotton quicker as its wrapped around the coil. Depending on your intentions, I personally recommend one of my signature coil styles for a balance between cloud and flavor, helix coils for flavor and chain link coils for clouds.
25-09-2015 09:10 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

(21-09-2015 06:29 PM)Unit562 Wrote:  

It has nothing to do with the wires on the RDA, it's the ohm meter it self. If I wanted to I could take it apart and re build it, but for a $20 meter that's a waste of time. 

3F Vape gots some super accurate meters (+/- 0.01) that have built in rechargable battery for less than $15. I am in love with em but mine that came with one of my rebuilder pro tool kits works fine.
25-09-2015 09:15 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes DuckysVapeReviews's post:
jerryz (09-25-2015)