Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Chrome plating removal
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Chrome plating removal
Hey, gang!  For those of you who prefer to strip off the chrome plating from your mechs (I'm looking at you, Gords), just how do you go about doing so?  Sanding it off the flat surfaces would be simple enough but not for the threads and finer areas.  To you soak it in a solution that strips it or do you manually remove it somehow?  Your techniques shared with the rest of us would be greatly appreciated. Smile
18-10-2013 01:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
RE: Chrome plating removal
I'm planning on using brass brushes in a die grinder (dremel if you need), I'm not aware of any nagical chenical that will strip chrome off brass easily (although simple english weather will strip a harley toot sweet no worries in a few days) but I'm not saying there isn't something out there.

personally I'm not planning on stripping all the chrome, im planning on using the brass brushes,fine sand paper and wire wool to give mods a heavily used look, its something that simply takes a lot if elbow grease, depending on the thickness of chrome plating.

have a look at the todd review of that dream mod I linked, he did just this to that little box mod and it does look real good.
18-10-2013 07:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
I've heard (from Spas actually) that vinegar shouldn't be used to clean a chromed atty because it lifts the chrome layer and ruins it.  Seems to me that soaking chromed parts in white vinegar should strip the chrome off of the other mod components as well.  Sure can't hurt to try it.
22-10-2013 05:27 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,351
(22-10-2013 05:27 PM)JohnnyMac Wrote:  I've heard (from Spas actually) that vinegar shouldn't be used to clean a chromed atty because it lifts the chrome layer and ruins it.  Seems to me that soaking chromed parts in white vinegar should strip the chrome off of the other mod components as well.  Sure can't hurt to try it.
Yeah, I was going to mention that in this thread but forgot Big Grin
22-10-2013 05:35 PM
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
judt send it over to me or spas, we'd only nerd to leave it on the window sill so it can SEE tge English weather and the chrome will fall off out of fear lol
22-10-2013 07:35 PM