Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 4.43 Average
Chat hub
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
RE: Chat hub
Ibanez electrics are my favorite for shredding with, FAST necks for sure! New Ibanez acoustics are lousy just not worth the money at all. But their electrics have got to be the best metal guitars around. I have an RG470 MIJ that's my shred monster. It's a H-S-H. Since yours is a "Fat Strat" it must be S-S-H?  Two singles and a humbucker? Normally that is what is meant by fat strat. It's any Stat style guitar with a Humbucker in the bridge position and two singles.

I have owned literally thousands of guitars. My at home business was selling guitars for about 7 years or so. I would get in Pallets full of guitars delivered on a Semi truck. Those were guitars stamped "2nd" or "used". I also got through hundreds of guitars from other sources that were not refurbished. China flooding the market and increases in paypal fees and shipping costs eventually killed it. Margins were always tight as it was and at the end there just was no profit in it or at least not enough to deal with all the work. Still it was a blast getting to play all those different guitars. Of course some of them were just the same model over and over but I still got to own "briefly" at least most guitar models from the major companies.

I still stay in contact with my wholesaler (MIRC) they are the largest dealer in "used" guitars in the world and have exclusive contracts to refurbish guitars for most of the big guys. They also do, Basses and banjo's, mandolins and all that stuff. It was a full time job for me and my wife and when I got the shipments in I put my kids to work too!

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
14-07-2015 11:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
Michael (07-15-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,399
Hello World. Wet start but we live in hope of SUNSHINE Negative or Good2 who knows Smile

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
15-07-2015 04:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Likes Given: 17,424
That's right Brad, it's a S-S-H. Though my switch is having some issues so the humbucker doesn't really buck the hum anymore Tongue I need to get in there and re-solder everything, because right now the humbucker has a fair bit of snap crackle and pop, and the volume knob is basically useless. I know the humbucker problem is the switch because it'll sometimes cut out and go really quiet, then if I switch it to a single and then back, it works fine again. Weird. One of these days I'll probably just get all new pickups and pots for it, but for now that's low on my to-do list. Kind of like how I keep saying that one of these days I'm gonna get a Les Paul Studio Custom, but I still haven't yet Tongue
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 03:42 PM by Michael.)
15-07-2015 03:31 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Heh, I did a little searching on teh interwebz and found a picture of my guitar at http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/GRX40 so apparently it's a GRX40. Not a high end one by any means, but I tell you what it plays better than most guitars I've seen that cost five times more. Smile 
15-07-2015 03:42 PM
18sixfifty Offline
too big for his britches

Likes Given: 331
(15-07-2015 03:42 PM)Michael Wrote:  Heh, I did a little searching on teh interwebz and found a picture of my guitar at http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/GRX40 so apparently it's a GRX40. Not a high end one by any means, but I tell you what it plays better than most guitars I've seen that cost five times more. Smile 
I had a few of this exact model that I fixed up and sold, mostly the green and white ones. Good solid guitar, you get the basic outstanding qualities of just about any Ibanez, the hardware is cheaper and doesn't last as long but that is why it's an entry level guitar. The Gio's are for the most part very good guitars and truly under-rated. I never really think of this model as a Gio though, not that there is anything wrong with a Gio either. It's just that people know they are cheaper and think that they must be no good. It reminds me of the Stradivarius debate.

Forever they have been trying to figure out why they sound so much better than modern violins. It turns out they don't! When blind tested there are many high end modern violins that sound as good or better. It's a bias that works this way. People who play an expensive instrument blame any mistakes or sounds that are not right on themselves, it can't be the instrument after all. But when they play a cheaper instrument they truly believe that the mistakes are not there own and must come from the instrument. It's really easy for people to think that if only they had a really high end instrument that they would sound way better.

When it comes to electric guitars in general the most important part is the neck. As long as it's intonated correctly with no buzzing and you like how it feels and fits your hand you can make up for any failings in the sound department with your amp and pedals. Ibanez make great necks and that is 90% of what counts on an electric guitar.

If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind?
15-07-2015 04:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 18sixfifty's post:
Michael (07-15-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
Hellllllllllllloooo

[Image: tumblr_lv71273MNP1r5nl1ho7_250-2.gif]
15-07-2015 06:34 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Whiskey's post:
Michael (07-15-2015), whipple0887 (07-16-2015)
Michael Offline
I'm back!

Hey Whiskey, love the gif of Toothless Smile 

I agree Brad, the neck is what it's all about, and mine has a spectacular neck, even thinner than my friend's RG Series and no buzz even playing on the higher frets. I would like to put some StewMac or Dimarzio pickups in it, I think it would be fun to put a humbucker, then a standard pickup, then a lipstick tube at the neck. Get some interesting sound combinations that way. 
(This post was last modified: 15-07-2015 07:40 PM by Michael.)
15-07-2015 07:35 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
18sixfifty (07-16-2015), Whiskey (07-16-2015)
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,399
A very Good Morning to you all ..Yahoo

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
16-07-2015 04:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Robjenko's post:
Whiskey (07-16-2015)
whipple0887 Offline

Likes Given: 2
It must be give the yard a hair cut day...  lol. im in on it as well.  vaping on a 60/40 3nit of grape soda today. Smile
16-07-2015 04:12 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like whipple0887's post:
BOB (07-16-2015), Michael (07-18-2015), Whiskey (07-16-2015)
Whiskey Offline

Likes Given: 2,590
Hi Whipple, the minute it rains here, the hair starts growing in our yard too, mow mow mow...LOL, Nice to meet you and welcome to TVFSmile
16-07-2015 04:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Whiskey's post:
Michael (07-18-2015), whipple0887 (07-16-2015)