Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bricks and Mortor versus Online markup
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
Bricks and Mortor versus Online markup
There are no real vape shops near where I live.  My choices are the head shop and a tobacco barn, so I've been doing all my purchasing online.  I need a new head for my tank and thought I'd just drop by and pick one up.  Why pay shipping?  Tobacco store didn't have a clue and the head shop, well, OMG, the cost difference just about blew me away.  I can get a pack of 5 coils online (including shipping) for the cost of one in the store.  So, other than sticker shock and just all around complaining, I was wondering, are you guys finding about the same markup?

BTW, totally see the urge to make your own coils now.
21-05-2016 12:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,291
RE: Bricks and Mortor versus Online markup
I've long since moved on to DIY, but yes - B&M markup is much higher.  I tolerated it when I bought locally because I support small businesses, but when I started vaping heavily I bought large quantities online and then started making my own.

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
21-05-2016 12:48 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Almost Jaded's post:
bibliora (05-21-2016), TinWhisker (05-21-2016)
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

(21-05-2016 12:48 AM)Almost Jaded Wrote:  I've long since moved on to DIY, but yes - B&M markup is much higher.  I tolerated it when I bought locally because I support small businesses, but when I started vaping heavily I bought large quantities online and then started making my own.
Keeping in mind, I don't want to invest a lot, what would you do?  I need a tank, one where I can get easily replace the atomizer head. Suggestions?
21-05-2016 01:05 AM
paulS Offline
Toodle Club Billet Box Squonk Boy
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,004
I feel for you. Here in Toronto the prices are actually only a little higher than online. Other than online sale prices which pop up and I take advantage of. I like the personal service and attention from my B+M.

For a tank. There are a lot of tanks that use Atlantis style coils. Often when mixing these coils you needd to remove the top threads from the Atlantis coils but you can interchange most of the coils from all these tanks wiith minor alterations to the threads. I'll highlight my favorites:

Amigo Donner 22
Amigo Riptide V1
Amigo Riptide Top Fill
Anyvape Fury Tank
Anyvape SegaTank
Aspire Atlantis
Aspire Atlantis Mega
Aspire Atlantis V2
Aspire Triton
Aspire Triton 2
Beyond Vape Silo Beast
CoilART Online Tank
Coiltech Atank
EHPRO & Eciggity Morph Tank
Eleaf iJust2
Eleaf Melo-
Eleaf Melo2
Eleaf Melo lll
Eleaf Melo lll Mini
Freemax Scylla
Freemax Starre
Freemax Starre Pro
Gigue Aeolus Mini
Gigue Aeolus Tank
Heatvape EcoTank
Ovancl Espole
Playboy Vixen
Science of Vaping Eclipse
Sense Tech Herakles - top threads not used.
Sigelei X-Tank - top threads not used.
Smokme Subverter Mini
Steam Tribe Mini Sub Ohm Tank - Top threads used.
Sunone Sking Square - top threads not used
Thunderhead Creations-Thunderstorm Tank
Tobeco Super Tank
Tobeco Super Tank KS
Tobeco Super Tank Mini
Vape Forward VF ATTY- looks like a modified eLeaf Melo2
Vapeston Ceramikas - Top threads not used.
Vapeston Maganus - top threads not used.
Vapor DNA Project Sub Ohm Saucecode -top threads not used
Vaporesso Target Ceramic cCell Tank
Vapor-Tek Morpheus
Vapor-Tek Morpheus V2
Gclapton OVC coils - love these coils ...

Now Atlantis coils are easy to get everywhere. All the tanks have their own coils too. So you should never have a problem getting coils.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 21-05-2016 02:45 AM by paulS.)
21-05-2016 02:43 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like paulS's post:
Almost Jaded (05-21-2016), bibliora (05-21-2016), Fatboy (05-21-2016)
TinWhisker Online
I Vape, Therefore I Squonk
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,555
When I first started vaping and had not yet even found the forum, I did buy everything local. Like AJ, I didn't mind supporting the local shops. And I knew the markup was impactful. I just didn't realize how much it was until I found a different local shop with far less frills and far less markup. I can get a bag of cotton bacon from them for about a dollar more than I can get it online, for instance. At the other place it was about 5 dollars more. Depends on the store for me.

I'm also encouraging you to eventually get into the world of DIY, eventually. It's fun and rewarding. You want a tank? Yep, just look at paulS's list and pick one. The man has more experience with vape gear than Bill Gates does in software development.
21-05-2016 01:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Almost Jaded (05-21-2016)
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

(21-05-2016 01:23 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  When I first started vaping and had not yet even found the forum, I did buy everything local. Like AJ, I didn't mind supporting the local shops. And I knew the markup was impactful. I just didn't realize how much it was until I found a different local shop with far less frills and far less markup. I can get a bag of cotton bacon from them for about a dollar more than I can get it online, for instance. At the other place it was about 5 dollars more. Depends on the store for me.

I'm also encouraging you to eventually get into the world of DIY, eventually. It's fun and rewarding. You want a tank? Yep, just look at paulS's list and pick one. The man has more experience with vape gear than Bill Gates does in software development.
Thank you for your DIY encouragement.  I can think of no better place to learn and get advice.  I can see needing better equipment as I get more enjoyment out of this hobby.  Think I'll go into ejuice first as my taste buds come back. 

I've decided to get a nautilius mini even though it is not on Paul's excellent list.  The coils seem to be easy to get anywhere and it's pretty.  And it has an ego adapter in the kit. My main interest is ease of use, the coils being easy to replace, etc., and no leaks.  Let me know if that is a bad call. 
21-05-2016 05:37 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Michael (05-21-2016)
TinWhisker Online
Senior Staff

The Nautilus won't allow you to move into DTL if that is a goal of yours. MTL is not a bad thing, I'm just saying that particular tank is limited in its' abilities, including any DIY ambitions you have (except for juice). Also, I have the regular Nautilus, and I like it because of the big tank capacity. Same coils. Not having to refill as often is a big plus for me. But it is big...
21-05-2016 06:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (05-21-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I'm using a Nautilus Mini right now actually. It's a great tank for mouth-to-lung vaping. Like TinWhisker said, it won't allow you to move into sub-ohm direct-to-lung vaping, but there's nothing wrong with one style of vaping or the other, just personal preference so if you want to keep MTL vaping, go for it. 
21-05-2016 06:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
bibliora (05-21-2016), Fatboy (05-21-2016)
TinWhisker Online
Senior Staff

Yes, not knocking MTL at all. I need to be sure I clarify that or nut will yell at me!
21-05-2016 07:33 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (05-21-2016), Michael (05-21-2016)
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

Thanks for all the input guys.  My vaping goals are still very limited so I'm good with mini tank. Sure it will be one of many tanks in my future. Still trying new juices and can barely understand sub omhing, let alone make it my goal.  I'll need a much better battery/mod before I start in that direction.  Once I'm satisfied with taste, ease of draw, cost and maintenance level, I'll branch out and up. 

I do have a question about DTL, do you find taste suffers at all?

Back to the thread topic, not only have I found my local markup incredible, but the choice is so limited.  I can see why it would be great for someone starting out who didn't need the plethora of sites and gadgets to make the crazy.  Without this website I may have given up on vaping because of all the choices.  Sidenote: markup and limited choices may just be my area, but since I'm only an hour away from Houston, I'm sure those in rural areas also suffer from lack of brick and motar stores.  So I'll enjoy the choices while I can, I'm sure the new FDA regulations will make vaping about as thrilling as picking up a pack of cigs.  
21-05-2016 08:06 PM