Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Best cartimizer refill method
ArtII Offline

Likes Given: 0
Best cartimizer refill method
Most here have seen how you can refill a carto by putting liquid into a rubber cap and then pressing a carto into it which pushes the liquid up into it.  Well, this doesn't work very well.

What happens is, most of the liquid just squirts out of the top of the center tube and falls down onto the packing.  Some, but not enough, of the liquid makes it's way into the bottom of the packing.

Between the bottom and the top is a lot unsaturated packing.  This results in a very limited usability of a refilled carto.

The other method that is commonly used is to inject the liquid with a syringe into the bottom of the carto.  This damages the packing, and reduces it's usefulness.

Here's the solution and it really works like a charm.

Use the first method above -but- take off the cap from the carto and then insert a round toothpick into the center tube.  This forces the liquid to only go out through the holes at the bottom of the center tube and push all the air out of the packing.  Keep pushing until you see a slight sign of pooling and then stop.

My cartos last as long a those I buy prefilled now.
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2014 02:58 AM by ArtII.)
17-01-2014 02:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 987
RE: Best cartimizer refill method
i do it different ways sometimes. usually i will leave the rubber cap on the end with the threads, and fill the carto to the brim with juice, pull the cap off and it sucks it down. i will do that until i think the carto is full, then I will usually give it a few shakes and drip a few more drops on the filler, and make sure some juice drips out the 510 connection. give it a quick soft blow to make sure the center tube is clear of excess juice and im good to go

or i will put five or so drops on the packing, let it soak in, rotate a quarter turn and repeat until juice drips out the 510 connection. quick gentle blow again, and good to go

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
17-01-2014 03:32 AM
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 15,066
Hi and Welcome ArtII!

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
17-01-2014 08:30 AM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 9,003
Hi ArtIII welcome to TVF and thanks for the tips Smile - The first few times I used a carto, I just dripped a few drops in there and proceeded to wreck it Big Grin
17-01-2014 03:44 PM
apt323 Offline

Likes Given: 105
(17-01-2014 03:44 PM)Spasmod Wrote:  Hi ArtIII welcome to TVF and thanks for the tips Smile - The first few times I used a carto, I just dripped a few drops in there and proceeded to wreck it Big Grin
I hear ya on wrecking it! I had just bought a tank cartomizer setup and within 10-15 puffs I had burned it up.  Went an bought another carto and really didn't even like the draw and it didn't put out any smoke so it just sits all alone and lonely now.

I like more vapor then that thing could put out
17-01-2014 04:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
JohnnyMac Offline
The Mac Daddy!
Administrators

Likes Given: 1,217
Welcome to TVF, ArtII!  Great tips to introduce yourself with.  I've not used any cartos yet but I'm sure I will eventually.  I've been eyeing up cartotanks for use in EDC mods where leaking is not wanted.  I've head they are the best for pocketing your vape without worry.

Any of you guys that have used them have a recommendation on which ones produce the best flavor and amount of vapor?

Here's the one I've been eyeing
[Image: 1605000-5.jpg]
17-01-2014 04:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Don Offline
Senior Staff

Never tried one, though I did like the look of the splash anodised ones that Fasttech had a day or two ago on the New Products page.

17-01-2014 04:09 PM
ArtII Offline

I wrote up a sorta history of my experience with e-cigs.  It's full of things ... some of them not so correct.  Here is the link from Facebook:
Electronic Cigaretts

For those who are not on Facebook, here is a humor segment in that link I'd like to share.  I'm pretty sure many here will relate.  It's written from the perspective of trying to save money using c-cigs as compared to even rolling your own cigarettes (which I have succeeded at - finally) -
"
==============================================
================== HUMOR SECTION ============
==============================================
STAGES OF VAPING

Stage one: Curious

You're curious and buy a disposable E-Cigarette. You want to stop creating smelly smoke everywhere you go, so you give it a go.

Stage two: You LIKED it!

You lucked out and found a brand with a flavor that doesn't make you puke. You decide to commit to making the leap to vapeland. You buy a starter kit for $50.

Stage three: Annoyance

You discover that batteries don't last long enough to keep you happy for a day. You ponder the cost of a single additional battery. Hell, it's a large chunk of a whole starter kit! You also discover that there is a vast array of goodies out there that have just become relevant to you because you have fallen down the vapeland rabbit hole.

Stage four: More money, arrg!

Through gritted teeth you pay for your first extra lithium-ion battery. Unfortunately, you find this still requires a lot of discipline to keep charged and ready. God forbid you sit at your computer chain vaping for any period of time.

Stage five: Wanting something more ...

You are becoming very aware and alert to the vast array of vaping goodies out there, unfortunately, you chose a brand which is incompatible with almost all of them.

Stage six: Capitulation.

You recognize all the money you have spent so far on that over-the-counter E-cigarette brand has to be abandoned. You need to go with a brand that accepts standard add-ons. To your dismay, you have had to learn what 510, 901 , 801 , and 401 battery connectors are and attempt to make a rational decision as to which one won't let you down in the future. After all, you are committed now. You know you're going to have to spend a small fortune to keep yourself fully charged at all times.

Stage seven: Diving in.

You close your eyes and pick a top brand of E-cigarette, and get more than just the basic kit. You pray you won't discover yet another item or feature required to make vaping work for you. This really costs you.

Stage eight: Ooopsy,

You slip up and buy a pack of analogs and start smoking again.

Stage nine: I'm baaaack ...

When you run low on analogs you try vaping again and discover they aren't as bad as you thought after all.

STAGE TEN: Regret

You regret all the money you have wasted, not just on your early attempts with vaping, but ALL your smoking since you were nine. It's time to cut corners and buy E-liquid and do your own refills to make amends.

Stage eleven: Not the same

Why do your attempts at refilling always taste like shit when the purchased refills always taste so good? (If you thought you fell down the rabbit hole before, think again.)

Stage twelve: OMG more research

You find your way to all the vaping videos available on Youtube and you learn a whole crap load of misinformation about how to refill cartomizers.

Stage thirteen: Down and dirty

You have invested EVEN MORE money in VG, PG, drip bottles, syringes, nicotine liquid, etc, and are now on your way to becoming a certified chemist.

Stage fourteen: Long delayed light bulb goes on

After months and months of attempting to create a livable E-liquid in your kitchen, you finally realize the problem isn't in your mix, but the fact that cartomizers simply get nasty tasting after a few uses and NOTHING tastes good when using them.

Stage fifteen: More capitulation

You resign yourself to the fact that, even though you now have enough ingredients to keep you in E-juice for the rest of your life, you will have to replace your cartomizers periodically.

Stage sixteen: Final revelation

Lithium-ion batteries only last about a year. Time to buy more ...
"
18-01-2014 12:30 AM
ArtII Offline

Also, I have come up with my own flavoring I make myself.  I grind up cloves and peppercorn together.  I put the result into PG and allow it to soak.  I can't tell you the minimum amount of time to soak as I do this way ahead of my need for more flavoring.  I get back to it when I need some more.

I treat this as PG in my mixing ratios.  It tastes GREAT - a lot like V2's red flavor - which is what I was going for.

Oh yeah, I do about 1 tbsp of each, before grinding,  and add about four ounces of PG.

I found this mix needs to be filtered.  I use a coffee filter.
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2014 01:35 AM by ArtII.)
18-01-2014 01:33 AM
Don Offline
Senior Staff

(18-01-2014 12:30 AM)ArtII Wrote:  I wrote up a sorta history of my experience with e-cigs.  It's full of things ... some of them not so correct.  Here is the link from Facebook:

Stage sixteen: Final revelation

Lithium-ion batteries only last about a year. Time to buy more ...
"
How did you know my story Smile

18-01-2014 07:02 AM