Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Beginner question, ohms and burning up coils
Davidb Offline

Likes Given: 0
Beginner question, ohms and burning up coils
Hi I have been vaping for a few months. I recently purchased the elaf istick power nano with a Melo 3 Nano tank.

It came with a coil that says 0.3 ohm but when I fire the mod the little screen says 0.25 ohm. Is that bad? Am I supposed to change that somehow?

I also tried using my old Arctic tank by Horizon Tech with 0.2 ohm coils.

With both of these my coils last less than 1 day before they start tasting nasty, similar to the taste you get if you accidentally light a cigarette backwards.

When I was using the Arctic tank with those 0.2 ohm coils on my istick TC 100 W the coils would last me several weeks before tasting foul.

The only thing they tell me at the vape shops is to prime the coil and keep the tank full. (There's got to be more to it than that). I do both of those and still have this problem.
(This post was last modified: 13-10-2016 06:07 PM by Davidb.)
13-10-2016 06:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,007
RE: Beginner question, ohms and burning up coils
Hey david

The juice your using can cause this problem, what's the vg/pg ratio? Also, if your mod has slipped into tc mode, that'll eat up a non tc coil quite quickly. What sort of power are you using?

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
13-10-2016 06:35 PM
Davidb Offline

Thanks for the reply. I usually use max VG liquid. I heard that can burn up the coils more quickly, but from 3 weeks to < 24 hours?

I vape at around 25W
(This post was last modified: 13-10-2016 07:24 PM by Davidb.)
13-10-2016 07:24 PM
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,007
25w on .2-.25 ohm,  that's a little underpowered imo. That kind of power level is better suited to a .5 coil... but that won't be causing the problem your having, completely the opposite.
Max vg will clog up your coil quickly, I'm surprised it worked at all tbh. Has it gotten colder where you are? Max vg during the summer months is a lot more viscose than in winter, temperature has quite a pronounced effect on it. There's also sweetener, if you've just gotten some juice thats sweeter than the last one you had that'll clog a coil too.

Now to the mod. There's a vw, bypass, smart and tc mode.. which one are you using?

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
13-10-2016 08:09 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gentlydoingit*'s post:
Fatboy (10-13-2016)
Don Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 10,482
Yeah. Max VG is sticky stuff. Especially when temperatures drop.

That is dripper fuel - not tank fuel..

IMO

TVF tested battery info to be found here

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com

[Image: 24291313393_16615b20b2_m.jpg]
13-10-2016 08:50 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Don's post:
Fatboy (10-13-2016), gentlydoingit* (10-13-2016)
Michael Offline
Social Media Manager
Media Manager

Likes Given: 17,354
I've used max VG in the Arctic before. It can work, but it's more likely to mess up your coils. The only way I got it to work was actually to turn the power up rather than down. I assume what happened is the heat from the coil heated up the juice in the tank, making it enough thinner to wick a little better. But then again, it could also produce some nasty dry hits from time to time, so maybe it was just my imagination. I'd agree with these smart folks, lower VG is probably the correct answer. 
14-10-2016 12:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Fatboy Offline
FreeCycle Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 18,551
(14-10-2016 12:43 AM)Michael Wrote:  I've used max VG in the Arctic before. It can work, but it's more likely to mess up your coils. The only way I got it to work was actually to turn the power up rather than down. I assume what happened is the heat from the coil heated up the juice in the tank, making it enough thinner to wick a little better. But then again, it could also produce some nasty dry hits from time to time, so maybe it was just my imagination. I'd agree with these smart folks, lower VG is probably the correct answer. 

My princess loves one of the premium juices that she has been using since day one - it's 80VG/20PG - a real coil killer but it beats cigs hands down....she vapes at 30W and loves it....yup sticky....explains the fruit flies....but I just picked up a few Venus Flytrap plants! Smile
14-10-2016 01:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Fatboy's post:
Michael (10-15-2016)
Davidb Offline

(13-10-2016 08:09 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Max vg will clog up your coil quickly, I'm surprised it worked at all tbh. Has it gotten colder where you are? Max vg during the summer months is a lot more viscose than in winter, temperature has quite a pronounced effect on it. There's also sweetener, if you've just gotten some juice thats sweeter than the last one you had that'll clog a coil too.

Wow I didn't realize max VG was so difficult. I live where it's always hot outside, but I'm usually in air conditioning at 75-77F. I have been using Mt Baker Vapor which are quite sweet max VG.

I have another 70/30, from Naked, maybe even that's too high?

Just to see if I am understanding: the issue is VG is too viscous, and so it is getting absorbed up the cotton too slowly, therefore I'm firing a 'dry' wick which gives me the terrible flavor? Can this also be helped then by hitting it less frequently / in shorter bursts? I feel like that does help.

(13-10-2016 08:09 PM)gentlydoingit* Wrote:  Now to the mod. There's a vw, bypass, smart and tc mode.. which one are you using?

I think it's VW.

(13-10-2016 08:50 PM)Don Wrote:  That is dripper fuel - not tank fuel..

Can I use a dripper with my mod? The problem is the PG gives me runny nose and eyes.
(This post was last modified: 14-10-2016 03:26 PM by Davidb.)
14-10-2016 03:25 PM
bibliora Offline
Person of Interest
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 3,001
70/30 should be fine, try it for a while and see if it makes a difference.

You can use a drip tank on any mod, as long as it has the right connection, 510 is standard, so I've never had a problem. As I understand it most/all drip tanks are rebuildable, so you would need to make coils. You might want to hold off on that for a while, until you get a feel for vaping.

An easier thing to do is to start making your own eliquid, it not only saves you money, but you can control what ingredients go into your juice. Juice can still be sweet without adding sweetners. Sucralose is the most common sweetner, it not only ruins your coils, but isn't really good for you.

[Image: banner.png?p=15_4_2016_1.2_7__1__1_0_757575_c50707]

Bibliora aka Torrey Girl_wink
14-10-2016 03:37 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes bibliora's post:
Michael (10-15-2016)