Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Baby Beast burning my juice quickly?
Ripnhl2005 Offline
When is this being released?
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 558
Baby Beast burning my juice quickly?
Been busy lately and not online much but had a question to see if something is wrong here or this is normal since this is my first completely clear juice use.

I'm in love with the Baby Beast tank and coils..the taste doesn't even compare to Uwell or any other tank and oil I've used in my 4 months vaping.

Just went to B&M saturday to get a 0.4 coil since I'm waiting on online order delivery and popped it in saturday night. Coil rated for 40-80 best 55-65 which says on coil.
Primed it then let tank sit for 30 minutes full with new coil then started at 30 watts until sunday morning.
Sunday morning I noticed the juice turning a rusty orange color and burned juice seeping out from coil holes and darkening the juice. By the time I'm down to 1/2 tank, its rusty orange. You can see in the pic how it's seeping out and discoloring the juice.

Is this normal? I'm only at 42 watts now since if I go up to 50 it's gets a little burnt taste which I didn't have with prior baby beast coils. Also my puffs are only averaging 2.5-3.7 seconds each if that means anything.

Thanks!!!

Loved the baby beast so much I ordered the Big Baby tank and coils over the weekend....

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-12-2016 02:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 23,682
RE: Baby Beast burning my juice quickly?
I used to get that a lot when I used premade coils. I think it's just discoloration due to the aging cotton. I never necessarily liked how it looked, but it didn't affect the vape. It's not very appetizing to look at. Someone with this tank will be along to comment further I'm sure.
05-12-2016 03:26 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TinWhisker's post:
Ripnhl2005 (12-05-2016)
Ripnhl2005 Offline
FreeCycle

Thanks Tin...I figured but wanted to make sure. If I bump the wattage up I am getting some burnt hits which didn't happen with .4 tank came with and I was running at upper 50's.

I am going to learn to use the RBA the Big baby comes with and hopefully save some $$ on pre made smok coils.
05-12-2016 03:31 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

You haven't built yet? You're a smart guy. You will grasp it quickly, then you'll do what I did- kick yourself for not doing it much earlier.

By the way, if you want to start out building a deck before you actually wind your own coils, you can just buy cotton and pre-wound coils (still a lot cheaper), and practice mounting/wicking before you go all in with the winding.
05-12-2016 03:38 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (12-05-2016), Ripnhl2005 (12-05-2016)
gentlydoingit* Offline
TVF FreeCycle Manager
FreeCycle Manager

Likes Given: 7,618
The vaporised juice doesn't all go up the chimney, some condensates inside the housing then gets re absorbed by the cotton. It seems to be heavier than the fresh juice and settles in the lowest point. Atomicweighttastic. 
Yeah, it's normal with a medium used coil.

Don't forget to apply for the freecycle section!
http://www.thevapingforum.com/Forum-FreeCycle--191
05-12-2016 03:52 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like gentlydoingit*'s post:
bibliora (12-05-2016), ecignut (12-05-2016), Ripnhl2005 (12-05-2016), TinWhisker (12-05-2016)
paulS Offline
Authentic Old Git
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 2,248
It's the heat. The baby beast does not insultae the juice from the heat of the coil. So that is what causes the discoloration. Some of my higher end RTAs have insulaters between the coil and juice. So the juice does not discolor. This is the result of a common chemical reaction known as oxidation. Nicotine is a very reactive substance, and can cause e-liquid to change color either in reaction with other ingredients in the juice, or after being exposed to air, light or heat. Nicotine-containing juices tend to become darker over time, even when stored in cool, dark places, but some companies add small amounts of preservatives or stabilizers to prevent oxidation.

Now juices will oxidize and begin to discolor even in the bottle. We call this 'steeping'. This generally enhances the flavor. Not only nic will change color. Oxidation occurs even faster in the clearomizer, where the nicotine and VG is exposed to high levels of heat. The higher the nicotine content of your juice, the more VG, the more visible the effects of discoloration. Vegetable glycerin-based juices (high VG) tend to be sweeter than propylene glycole ones (PG), regardless of the flavor, and the extreme heat causes them to caramelize on the atomizer coil. This is the 'gunk' refered to in the other posts. In extreme cases, 100% VG-based juices can start off as clear, amber-colored concoctions and become dark-brown goo by the time you reach the end of the tank. Simply adding fresh e-liquid will only cause it to darken even faster due to the gunk buildup on the coil, and the residue left in the tank. This is why some juices just wreck your coils - too much sweetner. "Caramelization” ultimately affects not only the color but also the taste of the e-liquid. You need to clean both the tank and the atomizer before refilling. Cleaning can only do so much so you will have to replace the coil or wick in your atomizer more frequently.

This has ZERO to with atomic weight, lol.

[Image: Eqyojf3.jpg?1]
(This post was last modified: 05-12-2016 04:11 PM by paulS.)
05-12-2016 03:57 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like paulS's post:
ecignut (12-05-2016), Ripnhl2005 (12-05-2016), TinWhisker (12-05-2016), VapeChic88 (12-27-2016)
Ripnhl2005 Offline
FreeCycle

(05-12-2016 03:38 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  You haven't built yet? You're a smart guy. You will grasp it quickly, then you'll do what I did- kick yourself for not doing it much earlier.

By the way, if you want to start out building a deck before you actually wind your own coils, you can just buy cotton and pre-wound coils (still a lot cheaper), and practice mounting/wicking before you go all in with the winding.

Yeah yeah I know....should have done this sooner. It took a long time to go through god knows how many tanks and brands before finally being happy with the Alien and baby Beast....Now that I won't be going through mods and tanks like underwear....I can do the RBA.

I am going to start out with pre-wound coils just to get started. Do you still need one of those testers with pre wound coils? I watched that video posted on how to build tfv8 deck and he mentioned the tested for $20.
05-12-2016 04:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ripnhl2005's post:
TinWhisker (12-05-2016)
Ripnhl2005 Offline
FreeCycle

(05-12-2016 03:57 PM)paulS Wrote:  It's the heat. The baby beast does not insultae the juice from the heat of the coil. So that is what causes the discoloration. Some of my higher end RTAs have insulaters between the coil and juice. So the juice does not discolor. This is the result of a common chemical reaction known as oxidation. Nicotine is a very reactive substance, and can cause e-liquid to change color either in reaction with other ingredients in the juice, or after being exposed to air, light or heat. Nicotine-containing juices tend to become darker over time, even when stored in cool, dark places, but some companies add small amounts of preservatives or stabilizers to prevent oxidation.

Now juices will oxidize and begin to discolor even in the bottle. We call this 'steeping'. This generally enhances the flavor. Not only nic will change color. Oxidation occurs even faster in the clearomizer, where the nicotine and VG is exposed to high levels of heat. The higher the nicotine content of your juice, the more VG, the more visible the effects of discoloration. Vegetable glycerin-based juices (high VG) tend to be sweeter than propylene glycole ones (PG), regardless of the flavor, and the extreme heat causes them to caramelize on the atomizer coil. This is the 'gunk' refered to in the other posts. In extreme cases, 100% VG-based juices can start off as clear, amber-colored concoctions and become dark-brown goo by the time you reach the end of the tank. Simply adding fresh e-liquid will only cause it to darken even faster due to the gunk buildup on the coil, and the residue left in the tank. This is why some juices just wreck your coils - too much sweetner. "Caramelization” ultimately affects not only the color but also the taste of the e-liquid. You need to clean both the tank and the atomizer before refilling. Cleaning can only do so much so you will have to replace the coil or wick in your atomizer more frequently.

This has ZERO to with atomic weight, lol.

Well that goes above and beyond a simple answer and explains a lot! Thanks! Good
05-12-2016 04:56 PM
TinWhisker Offline
Squonkin' with Sasquatch
Senior Staff

Yeah, he's good for a lot of "blah blah I like to hear myself talk". But he's a smart cookie so we let him blather on.
05-12-2016 05:05 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like TinWhisker's post:
ecignut (12-05-2016), Fatboy (12-05-2016), gentlydoingit* (12-05-2016), Michael (12-06-2016), paulS (12-05-2016), Ripnhl2005 (12-05-2016)
Ripnhl2005 Offline
FreeCycle

(05-12-2016 05:05 PM)TinWhisker Wrote:  Yeah, he's good for a lot of "blah blah I like to hear myself talk". But he's a smart cookie so we let him blather on.

LMAO!!! I get it ehh?
05-12-2016 05:06 PM