Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Aspire cf mod with an RDA?
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Aspire cf mod with an RDA?
You want the cotton to fit through the coil fairly snug, but not too tight. Like Bob said, YouTube is a great way to get an idea of what you need. A good general rule is to pull the cotton through the coil and if it's hard to pull, there's probably too much cotton. 
03-02-2015 09:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (02-03-2015), Flesher11 (02-03-2015)
Flesher11 Offline

Likes Given: 3
(03-02-2015 09:05 PM)BOB Wrote:  hi flesher welcome to TVF
have a look on youtube at caterpillar RDA builds it will give you a good idea of how much cotton to use Good

Thankyou man, if the CF mod can take the atlantis coils at 0.5 ohms will it work the same if i built a coil with the same ohms or is that going to push the battery too much?

The battery i am using is an XTAR 18650 2200mAh.

Side note, just got home from work to a fresh bottle of Jimmy the Juice man Creme Brulee Yahoo
03-02-2015 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,359
You'll struggle to get down to 0.5 ohms with 32G wire even on a dual coil (and still have enough turns in the coil for a decent vape) You could twist the wire but I'm not sure how much room you have in those post holes. Worth a shot though, trial and error is usually the key... as long as you use your ohm reader you'll be fine.

Regarding the Xtar cell, If it's precisely this cell http://www.xtardirect.com/products/xt-vt...d-flat-top then it'll be fine.. if not I'd be wary.
03-02-2015 10:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Eggza (08-08-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

They're not super easy to build, but parallel coils might also work well for you if the post holes can handle them. Basically you wrap two strands of kanthal instead of one, making sure not to overlap anywhere. This halves the resistance, so you can get lower resistance with thinner wire. Or as Spas said, twisted kanthal is pretty similar and has more room for error than paralels. 
04-02-2015 03:19 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Flesher11 Offline

Hey guys sorry been away a couple of days just got home and my rda has arrived it has a dual coil already installed at 1.5 ohms i juiced up and fired it off and not getting much of a hit. 
05-02-2015 04:05 PM
Robjenko Offline
Squonk and toodle Club Member
Super Moderators

Likes Given: 2,236
(03-02-2015 07:22 PM)Flesher11 Wrote:  
(03-02-2015 06:54 PM)Michael Wrote:  Welcome to the forum Smile 

32ga kkanthal is thinner than 28ga that Spas suggested, so you'll have higher resistance with the same amount of wraps. I personally prefer slightly thicker wire, 28ga-26ga, but as long as you make it work it's fine. Japanese cotton is supposed to be spectacular, though I personally use rayon instead because I have more than a lifetime supply at home and it's what I'm used to. Glad to hear you got an ohm reader, many people forget that when they're starting out and it annoys me since you really need one so you can know what resistance you're working with to keep you and your cells safe. Most dual-coil atties can be built with just a single coil, and even if yours can't, dual coils aren't too hard. So all-in-all, good choice Smile iif you have any questions about it, just ask! 

Ah Spas, you beat me to the punch XD

Thank you man how much cotton would you suggest putting in per coil and I heard that you shouldn't dry burn it either coz it can catch Fire so should I be dripping on it more regularly than if I used other materials? 

If you dry burn cotton it'll be gone into dust Sarcastic_blum

Vaping Saves Lives. To vape is to advocate..
05-02-2015 04:21 PM
Flesher11 Offline

Decided to remove the coil and recoil with a parallel coil. Reading 0.8ohm and getting a better hit now. Would It be the wire I'm using or the cf mod that's stopping me getting a big vape? 
05-02-2015 06:12 PM
Spasmod Offline
Administrator
Administrators

Likes Given: 8,359
if you did a dual coil (6 wraps of 28G around a 2.4mm former for each coil) that would bring the resistance to approx the same as the Atlantis tank coil, but should be a noticeable improvement in your RDA.

Kanthal is pretty cheap so it won't cost much to grab a reel. Alternatively PM me your address and I'll stick some in the post for you to try out. 
06-02-2015 03:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spasmod's post:
Eggza (08-08-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I got more kanthal than I know what to do with. Haha I ordered three 100' spools from Amazon.com, they were about $7 USD each in different gauges so I can play around with my builds. Add to that the 500' spool of rayon for wick that cost about $15 USD, and I'm set for life. Rebuilding can be very VERY inexpensive if you know where to buy your supplies (read: NOT at a vape shop, they overcharge for kanthal and wicking materials).
06-02-2015 07:41 PM
Nihilum Offline

Likes Given: 0
Personally, I wouldn't suggest putting an RDA on an Aspire CF.  Your clouds won't be any bigger and the flavor is not likely to be any better.  The sub-ohm battery was specifically designed to be paired with the Atlantis.  I'd suggest looking into the IPV Mini 2 or similar digital mod...or a tube mod.  They're moderately priced and are specifically designed to handle an RDA. 

This is simply the advice I'd give a customer in my shop who was looking to get into dripping, since moving to an RDA is more of a lateral move than a move up in the case of the Aspire CF
21-02-2015 06:51 AM