Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Aspire Nautilus Trouble
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Aspire Nautilus Trouble
The problem with overtightening is that I do my own car repairs and oil changes, so I have a very different perception of "finger tight" than a lot of people lol. I made the mistake of putting together my Nautilus "finger tight" and had to twist that damn thing for like ten minutes just to be able to loosen it. 

For anyone like me, "finger tight" is SUPPOSED to mean "until it gets a bit harder to twist," not "as tight as you can possibly get it without using pliers." Tongue
01-05-2015 06:00 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael's post:
BOB (05-01-2015), ElectronicEmily (05-01-2015)
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
I agree with you Michael. My idea of " finger tight" is snug without using pliers, like the lady at my Vape shop did. Unfortunately, I had to use pliers to refill the tank. Good news is that my tank is no worse for the ware.

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
01-05-2015 12:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes jerryz's post:
Cman (05-01-2015)
ecignut Offline
Squonk and Toodle Club Member
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 16,001
I have two nautilus minis and I did have a problem with the base, it never leaks but getting it loose to refill can be difficult. One problem is the 'same way' thread - when you replace it on your battery - when you screw it back onto the battery you are tightening the tank as well I always tighten onto the battery from the base of the tank so as not to let this happen. It has been fine since. Also I changed to metal sleeves and the problem for some reason is less acute than with the glass sleeve. Hope this helps.
01-05-2015 12:54 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like ecignut's post:
BOB (05-03-2015), Michael (05-01-2015)
Cman Offline

Likes Given: 166
(01-05-2015 12:12 PM)jerryz Wrote:  I agree with you Michael. My idea of " finger tight" is snug without using pliers, like the lady at my Vape shop did. Unfortunately, I had to use pliers to refill the tank. Good news is that my tank is no worse for the ware.

Finger tight is snug to me as well , if you start screwing in a new head you will start to feel resistance but it's still screwing in pretty easily , you wait till it essentially snugs up and then stop.  You can keep turning it further but it's past that ideal point .
01-05-2015 08:46 PM
jerryz Offline
One of the good guys!

Likes Given: 301
I was brand new to vaping, and she pulled out the pliers, I'm like What? this can't be right. I may be a newbie, but taking pliers to a tank had to be wrong.

I have a general vape question that really has nothing to do with the Nautilus. OR maybe it does. I have a 30 watt Istick, and I see the mods with 80 and 100 watts. My 30 watt makes excellent clouds. What would 50 or 70 more watts do?

ROCK ON! VAPE ON! Music2
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 08:53 PM by jerryz.)
01-05-2015 08:51 PM
kramer Offline

Likes Given: 0
I broke my second tank today trying to loosen it to refill. I ordered a couple of those stainless steel sleeves, hoping that helps the problem. I have been not tightening them near as much for the last week, but still having a helluva time loosening to refill. Both tanks were shattered after trying to not make them so tight.
01-05-2015 11:28 PM
Cman Offline

(01-05-2015 11:28 PM)kramer Wrote:  I broke my second tank today trying to loosen it to refill. I ordered a couple of those stainless steel sleeves, hoping that helps the problem. I have been not tightening them near as much for the last week, but still having a helluva time loosening to refill. Both tanks were shattered after trying to not make them so tight.

Your kidding , how does this happen ?   Are your tanks clones of the Nautilus or genuine Nautiluses ?   Something seems very very wrong here .   The clones look identical and come in a box that looks identical ,  real Nautilus has identification codes.
(This post was last modified: 02-05-2015 02:40 AM by Cman.)
02-05-2015 02:39 AM
Cman Offline

(01-05-2015 08:51 PM)jerryz Wrote:  I was brand new to vaping, and she pulled out the pliers, I'm like What? this can't be right. I may be a newbie, but taking pliers to a tank had to be wrong.

I have a general vape question that really has nothing to do with the Nautilus. OR maybe it does. I have a 30 watt Istick, and I see the mods with 80 and 100 watts. My 30 watt makes excellent clouds. What would 50 or 70 more watts do?

Imo people get way too caught up with wattage , basically the people that usually want max wattage are the types that often prefer RDA's that can handle multiple coil builds using thicker gauge wire for instance ,  this whole max wattage thing is not that old.

Just a year or so ago unless you were using a mechanical most mods on the market averaged around 15 watts if i remember correctly , thats pretty much what everybody vaped , some type of mod that was relatively low powered.

Pravari's ruled as did the 11.00 watt max MVP series  , didn't seem anybody was complaining and loved the vape ,  only when a few manufacturers started testing the market with more power and seeing how more powerful mods sold did they take off.

Imo,  it is still mostly the much younger crowd pushing the high wattage stuff , to them more power is cool i guess , if you read through e cig forums though it clearly shows that most long time veterans do not prefer the higher watt devices ,  DNA 40 is very popular because of temp control and form factor.

I remember many discussions about what wattage people prefer to vape at ,  the overwhelming majority said even though they own a dual battery high powered device they only bought it for the increased run time and not the wattage increase.

I would say 80% said they still vaped at under 30 watts and there was a ton saying they still prefer vaping at 20 watts or less.
02-05-2015 02:54 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
The higher wattage devices are fun for a couple of things. First, cloud chasing. That's really the main reason you'd want a high-power device. Stick a Dark Horse RDA with a .3 ohm dual parallel 24ga kanthal build on top of a God Mod 180W and watch the sky darken as your clouds blot out the sun. Second reason would be the battery life increase. Mods with more power are going to need more mAh to support that, so you'll have a lot longer battery life if you're using it at lower power. And the third reason would be "my mod is bigger than yours." Some vapers see it as a dick-measuring contest, where the guy with the biggest, most powerful mod is the winner. Those guys aren't measuring dicks, they're being dicks. Don't be one of those guys.

I own a couple of high-powered devices for reasons 1 & 2. My Sigelei-100W gets used for cloud chasing with RDAs, and my God Mod 180 is usually just for battery life. Seriously, the thing takes 3 18650 cells, I can run that at 40W for days. Well, at least a day or two. I vape pretty much non-stop so I tend to vape as much in one day as most people would in three. Tongue
02-05-2015 03:56 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
kramer Offline

Likes Given: 0
(02-05-2015 02:39 AM)Cman Wrote:  
(01-05-2015 11:28 PM)kramer Wrote:  I broke my second tank today trying to loosen it to refill. I ordered a couple of those stainless steel sleeves, hoping that helps the problem. I have been not tightening them near as much for the last week, but still having a helluva time loosening to refill. Both tanks were shattered after trying to not make them so tight.

Your kidding , how does this happen ?   Are your tanks clones of the Nautilus or genuine Nautiluses ?   Something seems very very wrong here .   The clones look identical and come in a box that looks identical ,  real Nautilus has identification codes.
These are authentic Aspire tanks. I think the heat generated while vaping has something to do with it.
02-05-2015 12:31 PM