Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Asking the experts - what's the best battery - period?
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 1,303
Asking the experts - what's the best battery - period?
I'm building a BADASS mech mod.  Hoping to market it.  Yes, I'm new to vaping and I'm not tryin gto make a million dollars and I'm not tryin gto reinvent the wheel - this isn't a business related question, I know how to bring an idea to market, lol.  SO:

The 18650 seems to reign supreme.  Seems like it's just had more development than other form factors.  But I'd like to get something bigger in there.  Are there any 26650's that can hang witht he best 18's yet?

The base that I'm working with - the inspiration for the unit, really - is 137mm high.  That is a fixed number, I can't just make the case bigger.  so dual 18650's, at just over 130mm tall together, don't leave much room for the rest of the guts as it were.  While I *can* use dual 18's, I would much prefer a single bigger unit.

Thoughts?

Remind one liberal per day, that laws affect only the law-abiding.
10-04-2015 04:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
RE: Asking the experts - what's the best battery - period?
You'll get different answers from different people, because everyone has their own opinions on whether 26650s are better or 18650s. I personally would suggest Samsung 25R or Sony VTC4 18650s. Those are the two cells with the highest amp ratings, which means they can handle lower resistance builds. The 25R has a higher milliamp capacity, while the VTC4 has a higher amp rating, so it's really 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Depends on whether you want longer battery life or the ability to go slightly lower with your builds. 26650s are more about battery life, and there aren't any that I know of that can rival the 25R or VTC4 in amperage. 
Now if you really want to build a kick ass mod, the best way to get a high power mod that's very safe at low resistance is to use a LiPo pack. Gords1001 has a thread on here showing how to build one. Basically, LiPo packs have much higher amp ratings since they are made to power RC cars and other hobby stuff, so they're very safe even at super low resistance. They also have high current limits, so they're able to put out massive amounts of power. If I recall correctly, gords regularly vapes at 200+ watts with his LiPo box mods. It's absolutely ridiculous how powerful those things can be, but since they're 4.2V just like an 18650, it can also be used to make a mechanical mod that will perform similarly to any other mech mod but with a much longer battery life and it's safe at low resistance. 
So yeah, if you want to use cylindrical cells like normal vapers, go with the VTC4 or 25R. But if you really want to kick some ass, build a LiPo mod. Though a LiPo mod would need to be a box mod, and since you mentioned stacking the cells, I doubt that's what you're going for. It would help to know what exactly you're looking for in the mod, like if you want a tube mod or box, how thick you want it to be, etc. 
Just my two cents though, I'm sure some other folks will have other things to say. 
10-04-2015 05:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Oh, and LG HE2 cells are pretty good too. Still 18650s. I don't really know anything about which 26650 cells are best, because 18650s are better so I never got a 26650 mod. 
10-04-2015 05:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

I think we have a spammer here, lol.

The mod is based on a physical object that is going to be machined into the base/case/whatever you wanna call it.  So everything needs to fit in it as it sits.  And that means cylindrical.  I'll be machining it to thread the atty, etc, and adding the triggers, etc - but I have a specific size to work with.  It'll fit one 26650 or BARELY fit stacked 18650's.

10-04-2015 07:24 AM
bcfos Offline

Likes Given: 9
All I know about the 26650 form factor is they hit like Mike Tyson did in his prime. Hard and fast!!

As for 18650 form factors I had an issue when I first got into this thinking AW was the best battery. It is just a re-branded Panasonic at an inflated cost. I tend to stick with Panasonic, LG, Sony, and Samsung since the Japanese are widely known to have the best batteries out there. Sure I carry Efest in my store because the name is widely known but for any serious mechanical modder I would recommend Panasonic NCR's or the Sony VTC4's (though I am waiting to try the VTC5's when they ship). I just don't trust the Chinese batteries compared to the Japanese ones. 
10-04-2015 08:16 AM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Efest are hit and miss. They don't actually make batteries, instead they take cells from other brands and just put a new label on them. The problem with that is the amp ratings they give are sometimes dangerously overestimated. I've got a list around here someplace of which cells are inside which Efest wrappers. 
10-04-2015 01:02 PM
Almost Jaded Offline
TVF Veteran

I don't care about the actual batteries - that'll be for the buyers to choose.

If you were buying an extreme quality, aesthetics-based mech mod for max power or competition users - would you want a 26650 or an 18650 in it?  Or should I proceed with trying to make dual 18's fit in there because duh?

10-04-2015 06:21 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

I'd prefer a single 18650 in a mech. Mostly because a lot of cloud competitions require you to use a single 18650 mech mod, and I don't really use mechs much anymore other than for cloud comps. And like I mentioned before, the best 18650s are better than the best 26650s.
10-04-2015 06:55 PM
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 979
18650s will be better performance wise just for the simple fact that they are the most common cell size. A lot more development goes into them for laptop use, power tools, backup power devices, electric cars... 

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
10-04-2015 07:16 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Pulsar's post:
BOB (04-18-2015), Michael (04-10-2015)