Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
As usual, the normal greeting
Derrick Offline

Likes Given: 0
RE: As usual, the normal greeting
(30-04-2016 12:48 AM)Michael Wrote:  Who are you? What do you do? Where do you go? Where have you been? 

Good
You may regret asking

My name is Derrick, I live in west London

I used to be in the Forces, I put away all the boys toys, became a plumber, got married, had 2 kids, worked at LHR for 26 years

I did various PJ's, I saved my money, then I retired, I had a life of being very busy, every day was different, to doing nothing

I decided there was a big wide world out there, my wife was still working, my kids had left home, there was nothing on day time TV, there was a limit to the amount of decorating and cutting the grass, so I looked on the internet what to do and where I could go

I decided I would travel the world, there was an overland truck that was going from London to Australia, it would take 8 months, all I had to do was bring a tent, a sleeping bag, mattress and enough clothes to last me, there would be 24 others on the truck, we would be meeting at Hammersmith to depart

I had no idea who they were, never met any of them before, I did know we would be working, cooking, buying food as a group, there was people of all walks of life and ages, from 19-80 

I had spent lots of time camping, so it wouldn't be a problem, I was pretty confident in myself

To cut it short, we left and set off for Australia, the places we would be visiting would be France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Romania, Bulgaria, Turkey, Iran, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan,
Kyrgyzstan, China, Tibet, Nepal, India, Myanmar, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia and Australia.  

8 months we arrived, 12 people made it all the way, some went straight home, I stayed on for a further 3 months to see what Australia had to offer

I came back home, my wife and kids had missed me, but the travel bug had bit me and I started looking for other places to go

There are more things and places, countries I can tell you, I can add to this if I haven't bored you, by now, let me know

It was quite a good trip, we lost people along the way for various reasons, illness, lack of money, homesick 
30-04-2016 07:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Derrick's post:
Michael (04-30-2016)
BOB Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 10,060
hi Derrick and welcome Smile
sounds like a very interesting journey
you must have a very understanding wife
I am lucky to get my pass stamped for a weekend away with the lads

if at first you don't succeed ,call it version 1.0
30-04-2016 07:39 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BOB's post:
Michael (04-30-2016)
Derrick Offline

It wasn't very different from the time I was in the Forces, I would be away for 2-3, even 6 months at a time

When I was at LHR, I did call outs, overtime, stand ins, PJ's at weekends

Never neglected the kids either, they went on great holidays, plenty of sports (I ran a Judo club) they had a pretty good childhood, so they tell me

Depends on the couple, my missus trusts me, I trust her, seems to have worked so far for the past 45 years

I am still waiting for her to hang up her job though

While I am doing that, there are more countries and adventures out thereThank_you2
30-04-2016 07:47 AM
BOB (04-30-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 17,354
You know you've led an interesting life when "I ran a Judo club" only gets a passing comment in parentheses. Tongue

That sounds like an amazing trip, mate! Have fun on your adventures, and I'll be looking forward to hearing about your vaping journey as well as your real life journeys! 
30-04-2016 02:15 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Derrick Offline

Yes, running a Judo club was good,

Lots of regional champions, several national champions, daughter was World champion twice, but boys came along at that was the end of that career, but this was all in my younger, fitter days

Life has been a lot more interesting since I have finished work (that is the problem with retirement, you never get a day off)

Over 250, 000 miles on the clock so far, all in a yellow truck, Sth America, Africa twice, even climbed Everest when I first retired, not just base camp

Been vaping on and off since the early days, just never got that much into it, just see something interesting and go for it (got a whole box of old stuff) but now got a problem with a new Mod
30-04-2016 02:25 PM
Michael (04-30-2016)
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

What's the problem you've got? 
30-04-2016 05:40 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Derrick Offline

(30-04-2016 05:40 PM)Michael Wrote:  What's the problem you've got? 
I posted it in 'I bought a new vape unit, lots of suggestions but so far none I can use or can get used to
30-04-2016 06:32 PM
Michael Offline
TVF Veteran

Oh yeah, I remember seeing that one. I just posted a reply on that thread, hopefully that will help some. 
30-04-2016 07:50 PM
Derrick Offline

(30-04-2016 07:50 PM)Michael Wrote:  Oh yeah, I remember seeing that one. I just posted a reply on that thread, hopefully that will help some. 
Cheers, I'll have a shufti
30-04-2016 08:23 PM