Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are they all Im hoping they are?
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

Likes Given: 265
Are they all Im hoping they are?
Im looking for batteries for my Lavatube V1, I found on Amazon 4 UltraFire 3.7V 18650 5000mah batteries and a charger. Not knowing exactly what is best and what isn't, can someone shed some light here please?

Onward.. through the Fog!
[Image: quit-smoking-banner.php?key=16216]
27-06-2014 02:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)
Pulsar Offline
TVF Veteran

Likes Given: 987
RE: Are they all Im hoping they are?
Don't get ultrafires. They are rubbish, and not anywhere near the rated capacity. 
Don't really get any ****fire. There are some good teustfires out there,  but few and far between. An. Unprotected Panasonic 3400 would be my rexomendation for that mod. You don't really need high drain for it.

[Image: 1299139200_30_1_USD_7.50_dark.png]
27-06-2014 05:00 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Pulsar's post:
Galaxyrider (06-27-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,417
Real Ultrafire cells aren't that good and there are probably more fakes than "real" ones out there. 

I've had lots of ****Fire cells and for less demanding uses they are sorta OK, but for vaping when they are expected to draw much heavier currents, just don't. 

LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic make good cells. Efest rewrap other makers' cells as do many others. Often selling them at a higher price than the originals.

I'd save money on most things, but not on a high capacity energy storage device which will be used within inches of my face. It may not be the best looking one ever but I've got rather attached to it over the last 53 years.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
27-06-2014 06:15 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
Galaxyrider (06-27-2014), Galaxyrider (06-27-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

(27-06-2014 05:00 AM)Pulsar Wrote:  Don't get ultrafires. They are rubbish, and not anywhere near the rated capacity. 
Don't really get any ****fire. There are some good teustfires out there,  but few and far between. An. Unprotected Panasonic 3400 would be my rexomendation for that mod. You don't really need high drain for it.
Thank you for helping me sidestep a big mistake. Without friends like you, Im sure my vaping experience would be a lot less enjoyable.

(27-06-2014 06:15 AM)Don Wrote:  Real Ultrafire cells aren't that good and there are probably more fakes than "real" ones out there. 

I've had lots of ****Fire cells and for less demanding uses they are sorta OK, but for vaping when they are expected to draw much heavier currents, just don't. 

LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic make good cells. Efest rewrap other makers' cells as do many others. Often selling them at a higher price than the originals.

I'd save money on most things, but not on a high capacity energy storage device which will be used within inches of my face. It may not be the best looking one ever but I've got rather attached to it over the last 53 years.
Me being new to vaping, literally reflected in the IQ banner in my signature, This kinda battery is a whole new thing to me. I'm glad you in particular gave recommendation, since the Lavatube you sent me will be sharing those batteries. I was taking note of the high "mah" rating, and wanting the best I could get.
Out of the LG, Samsung, Sony and Panasonic, is there one that you would confidently call "first choice"?

(This post was last modified: 27-06-2014 08:16 AM by Galaxyrider.)
27-06-2014 08:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Galaxyrider's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)
Don Offline
Pod and Squonk Club founder :)
Senior Staff

Likes Given: 14,417
For use in the Lavatube which won't permit more than (from memory) 5A to be pulled from the cell and since any decent cell will happily provide 5A with no danger, I'd go for the Panasonic as the highest capacity. From memory they are rated at up to 6.5A continuous discharge so will be fine. Or, if they are less expensive, any rewrapped cell that states clearly there is a Panasonic cell inside. You don't need a protected cell (Though the lava tube works just fine with protected Panasonics), or want one for this purpose. The circuitry in the Lavatube won't allow excessive discharge and will refuse to fire if the cell is too low in charge.

Since some of my devices draw over 30A a different set of choices comes into play then. I need cells capable of over 30A continuous discharge which are more expensive and have a lower capacity. 

Ignore pulse discharge ratings and don't buy any cells that you can't find data sheets for online. The mere fact that they are there is a good thing.

You'll find a lot of reviews of cells and chargers here. HKJ does very good and thorough tests and is adding new cells all the time. I'm told he currently has a 2 month backlog of things to test so you won't find out about the very latest cells there. His tests are at a maximum of 5A or 10A normally which is considered a moderate discharge rate by some here. You don't need to worry much about the technicalities, just read his recommendations.

http://www.preventsuicideapp.com
27-06-2014 08:42 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Don's post:
Galaxyrider (06-27-2014), Spasmod (06-27-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)
Galaxyrider Offline
FreeCycle

(27-06-2014 08:42 AM)Don Wrote:  For use in the Lavatube which won't permit more than (from memory) 5A to be pulled from the cell and since any decent cell will happily provide 5A with no danger, I'd go for the Panasonic as the highest capacity. From memory they are rated at up to 6.5A continuous discharge so will be fine. Or, if they are less expensive, any rewrapped cell that states clearly there is a Panasonic cell inside. You don't need a protected cell (Though the lava tube works just fine with protected Panasonics), or want one for this purpose. The circuitry in the Lavatube won't allow excessive discharge and will refuse to fire if the cell is too low in charge.

Since some of my devices draw over 30A a different set of choices comes into play then. I need cells capable of over 30A continuous discharge which are more expensive and have a lower capacity. 

Ignore pulse discharge ratings and don't buy any cells that you can't find data sheets for online. The mere fact that they are there is a good thing.

You'll find a lot of reviews of cells and chargers here. HKJ does very good and thorough tests and is adding new cells all the time. I'm told he currently has a 2 month backlog of things to test so you won't find out about the very latest cells there. His tests are at a maximum of 5A or 10A normally which is considered a moderate discharge rate by some here. You don't need to worry much about the technicalities, just read his recommendations.
Thanks.. that was huge. Ive had an A/C go out here so Ive been stuck with my EVOD since we last talked.. 3K is a big bite.. hahaha You have no idea how ready I am to have something real to vape with.

27-06-2014 12:14 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Galaxyrider's post:
Spasmod (06-27-2014), vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)
gords1001 Offline
Sir Gords - Slayer of Joose !

Likes Given: 500
I agree with everything Don wrote, personally I would favour either samsung 2800mah cells for the lava tube, or, thinking forwards, panasonic ncr18650pf cells. They have a 10amp discharge limit (.6 ohm on a mech) and 2900mah. I use them with my more sensibly coiled tanks as they are not far off most vaping 26650 cells in capacity, and can give a couple of days at .6ohn.
27-06-2014 07:02 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gords1001's post:
vapejuiceuk (06-04-2016)